From: D.M. Procida on
If I have Debian Etch installed, can I upgrade this so that it becomes,
in effect, Debian Lenny?

As far as I understand the way it works, if in /etc/apt/sources.list I
have:

deb http://debian.virginmedia.com/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.virginmedia.com/ lenny main contrib non-free

then in effect I have told the system that it should get whatever
updates belong to the Lenny distribution.

But if I wanted to upgrade to Squeeze - which might not be a good idea
anyway - I should just change the above lines approrpiately.

Is that correct?

Daniele
From: Bruce Stephens on
real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) writes:

> If I have Debian Etch installed, can I upgrade this so that it becomes,
> in effect, Debian Lenny?
>
> As far as I understand the way it works, if in /etc/apt/sources.list I
> have:
>
> deb http://debian.virginmedia.com/ lenny main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://debian.virginmedia.com/ lenny main contrib non-free

You should use "apt-get dist-upgrade" rather than "upgrade"
(dist-upgrade is more aggressive, mostly in what it'll offer to remove).
You should review the listed actions carefully---occasionally something
odd will happen and apt will want to remove things that you really want
to keep.

But sure, that's the basic idea. Personally I try to upgrade a few
packages at a time rather than everything in one swell foop. Debian
packages are pretty good at keeping and migrating configuration details,
but they're still not perfect.

[...]

From: Folderol on
On Mon, 03 May 2010 20:31:22 +0100
Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet(a)cenderis.demon.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> packages at a time rather than everything in one swell foop.

How wonderfully, accurately descriptive. I must remember this one :D

--
Will J G
From: D.M. Procida on
Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet(a)cenderis.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) writes:
>
> > If I have Debian Etch installed, can I upgrade this so that it becomes,
> > in effect, Debian Lenny?
> >
> > As far as I understand the way it works, if in /etc/apt/sources.list I
> > have:
> >
> > deb http://debian.virginmedia.com/ lenny main contrib non-free
> > deb-src http://debian.virginmedia.com/ lenny main contrib non-free
>
> You should use "apt-get dist-upgrade" rather than "upgrade"
> (dist-upgrade is more aggressive, mostly in what it'll offer to remove).
> You should review the listed actions carefully---occasionally something
> odd will happen and apt will want to remove things that you really want
> to keep.
>
> But sure, that's the basic idea. Personally I try to upgrade a few
> packages at a time rather than everything in one swell foop. Debian
> packages are pretty good at keeping and migrating configuration details,
> but they're still not perfect.

I'm on Mercurial version 1.0.1.

# hg --version
Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 1.0.1)

I'd like to get to a newer version. Version 1.5.2 is in squeeze:
<http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mercurial>

sources.list:

deb http://debian.virginmedia.com/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.virginmedia.com/ lenny main contrib non-free

deb http://www.backports.org/debian squeeze-backports main
contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free

# apt-get -t squeeze-backports install mercurial
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
mercurial is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

I'm obviously doing something wrong here - any idea what it might be?

Daniele
From: Bruce Stephens on
real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) writes:

[...]

> deb http://www.backports.org/debian squeeze-backports main
> contrib non-free

I don't think that exists.

[...]

> # apt-get -t squeeze-backports install mercurial
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> mercurial is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
>
> I'm obviously doing something wrong here - any idea what it might be?

Which would explain that.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Bogus "Unable to mount" error dialog
Next: Csoft