From: Ohmster on
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:20100626172209.0a505146
@ren.site:

> Use partimage: http://www.partimage.org/Download
>
> "Using partimage from a livecd is the easiest way to use it. If your
> system needs to be restored, running partimage from the hard disk is
> not possible. The best livecd for Partimage is SystemRescueCd because
> it's created by a member of the partimage project, and this CDRom
> contains a lot of great recovery software."

I downloaded the Fedora 13 Live CD. It boots to a nice desktop, you can
open term window and be superuser with no password. Has nice nautilus file
manager, can just drag etc over to other disk and let the whole thing copy.
Not sure if it is as good as cp -a so might not try it.

Since I already did the Fedora 13 update and it really did not work very
well. It might work for a new account, my gnome session works very well
unless I activate compiz, then no go, cannot change windows or any of that
stuff. Tried to do a yum update, so much FC12 stuff still on disk I got
dependancy hell. You all were right, clean install is the way to go. So now
I only want to save to other disk, home, var, etc, and any other
directories you might think good to save, boot partition maybe for grub
stuff. Once I have all that on the other hard disk, to hell with this
install, wipe and go clean with Fedora 13, compiz should work now and
things would be better.

So am I better now with cp - a for this or still partimage? If so, quick
rundown on how partimage works please as I am not familiar with it but am
not a total n00b either. Thnx.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Ohmster on
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:20100626172209.0a505146
@ren.site:

> Use partimage: http://www.partimage.org/Download
>
> "Using partimage from a livecd is the easiest way to use it. If your
> system needs to be restored, running partimage from the hard disk is
> not possible. The best livecd for Partimage is SystemRescueCd because
> it's created by a member of the partimage project, and this CDRom
> contains a lot of great recovery software."

You know, I am pretty geeky, make money doing computers for other people,
do networks, love Linux, and I never knew about these "magic SysRq keys"?
Learn something every day, especially in a great newsgroup like this one.
Ask a decent question the smary way and there are many in here that will
give the answers. I have this now copied to my Linux folder where I keep my
important stuff. Thank you very much.

From: Ohmster on
"David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in

>> Not sure but you may need some ACLs switches. :)
>
> Good point. I've never used them. The options would then
> be -acuvxSXHA. Don't use the X and A options, if either the
> source or destination filesystems don't support the
> extended user options, or access control lists.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

I have not used rsync and I think that would be a bitching way to keep a
running backup of my active drive with the other hard drive. But that is
overkill for what I need right now. What I want is just a few critical
directories of my configs and tweaks saved to the other disk, plus my
home files. cp - a would be good for that, I have created a Fedora 13
live CD for this purpose as to free up the system disk for copy because
it will not be in use.

Fedora 13 Live is a great tool for this purpose. I can boot to a nice
gnome desktop with Internet and everything works. See and mount both
drives, use the GUI tools to check everything and of course, open my
beloved term window and go su in it to create the f12 directory on the
200Gb disk, then cp - a all of the important dirs from the 400Gb system
disk to the backup disk. Once done we go clean install on the 400Gb, wipe
it all out. Then bring back the configs to get most important stuff up
first. I like webmin for creating samba shares so that will be one of the
first installs. httpd.conf would be next and proftpd.conf would be next,
make chkconfig then to make them start up or use webmin to make them
start at boot. Webmin is really, really good for this too. Webmin I use a
LOT. It might be "dumbing me down" a bit, but at least I can get done
what I need in a relatively short time and be up and running quickly.

Then my favorite aliases, compiz and yum and repos and all of the other
good stuff to make a nice balanced server/workstation with X. For me,
that is a great solution. For serious work though, I would not install X
on a server machine.

Thanks everyone, you have all been a really great help. I am cp -a'ing my
home dirs and that is taking a long time. I knew it would as that is
where all the big stuff is. Hm, wonder if I can sneak in a df -h right
about now? Let's try it. Oh yeah, 77% full on the 200Gb drive and /home
is still not done yet. It will be close but it will fit. I do not have
too much in var and can empty the ftp server in that location. I do that
for anonymous ftp but lock it down pretty good with permissions, etc.
....I am still talking? Gee, some people just don't know when to shut up.
;>)

Goodnight everyone!

From: Ohmster on

> [snipped]
>
>> So am I better now with cp - a for this or still partimage? If so,
>> quick rundown on how partimage works please as I am not familiar with
>> it but am not a total n00b either. Thnx.
>
> Where I was going with "partimage" was for you to download the
> SystemRescueCd (iso) and burn it to a CD ... subsequently, you could
> boot up the (bootable SystemRescueCd) CD and use it to back up the
> partition(s) ... after all, that *was* your original request.
>
> The downside of "dd" is that it will consume as much disk space at the
> destination as it does from the source, because it's a byte-by-byte
> copy.
>
> Please read through the main page: http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page
>
> PartImage is include on SystemRescueCd
>
> SystemRescueCd: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

OIC, thank you very much. I did download the FC13 Live CD which seems as
good a rescue disc as any for what I need. Actually better because I do not
have to manually fart around with mounting drives by rescue CLI shell. That
is pretty brutal, but doable. I like this boot to Live CD. I can click to
mount my drives. Then I open a term, go su, and can then copy or perform
anything I want on LVM disks and the OS understands it and does it right
the first time. Very good idea, thank you.

From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 30 June 2010 06:42 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
Ohmster wrote...

> [...] I get just what I want, the pure, unadulterated codecs as
> written and distributed by the GNU license, freeware.

Please keep into account that anything released under the GNU General
Public License is not freeware but Free Software. There is a very
distinct difference between those two concepts.

Free Software is software which is intended to give its user the freedom
to do with it as he or she pleases (more or less), depending on the
specified Free Software license. Several such licenses exist, and not
all are compatible with one another. The GNU GPL is considered a more
restrictive license, because (among other things) it demands that upon
redistribution of the code or any new code that has GPL'ed code in it,
the new recipient gets the same rights to do with the code as the
original recipient/consumer/developer did.

Although Free Software is generally also free of charge, the word "Free"
denotes "freedom" in this case, not "gratis". Therefore, it would
still be quite possible to distribute Free Software commercially. In
the event of the GNU GPL - I'm not too familiar with the details of the
many other Free Software licenses - the license text even explicitly
states that commercial distribution is possible, provided that the
usability conditions of the license are met.

Freeware on the other hand is a term which applies to proprietary (and
thus non-free) code which is distributed free of charge. It is roughly
similar to so-called shareware, which is distributed free of charge but
comes with a request from the developer to purchase a license on the
software, which would then also include a number of benefits. Very
often - albeit not always - freeware only serves as a "taster" to
commercially distributed software and has either a limited usability in
time or lacks certain features of the commercial variant, in the sense
that those features are present in the freeware but have been disabled.

For instance, there are certain anti-virus suites - for Microsoft
Windows, of course - which are distributed both commercially and as
freeware, but in which the freeware version, although capable of
identifying as many viruses as the commercial version, lacks the
ability to remove the viruses from the infected files. If my memory
serves me right, then I have had such a freeware antivirus program on
my computer once back when I was using Windows NT, and if I'm not
mistaken, then it was from the company Trend, and I think it may have
come on a CD-ROM disk supplied with a computer magazine. Another
freeware program for instance is Microsoft's Registry cleaning tool.

Free Sofware examples on the other hand are for instance the GNU/Linux
operating system itself - by which I mean: the Linux kernel and the
userland portion of the GNU operating system - as well as software
licensed under the Apache, MIT or BSD licenses. Software licensed
under the CDDL - e.g. OpenSolaris, or Joerg Schilling's "cdrtools"
package - is also considered Free Software, but its licensing is not
compatible with the GPL, which prevents hardlinking the code between
GPL'ed code and CDDL'ed code.

Just thought I'd clear that up, because one of the many misconceptions
with regard to Free Software is that it's about the software being
gratis, instead of about the software being free as in "free speech",
and the terms freeware and Free Software are often used interchangeably
by self-proclaimed professional IT journalists, whereas they are
clearly two very distinctly different concepts. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)