From: Ignoramus31989 on
On 2010-06-26, Moshe <goldee_loxnbagels(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Ooops!
>
> Silly me!
>
> That was the Apple iPhone 4G *not* the open source
> OpenMoko phone.
>
> BTW what ever happened to the OpenMoko?
>
> You know, the phone the Linux freetards proclaimed as
> the iPhone killer?
>
> Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
>
> Linux fails once again.

Actually the number of Android shipments is not too far from iPhone
shipments and is growing. The latest numbers are 65000 daily Android
shipments and 97,000 iPhone shipments.

http://jkontherun.com/2010/05/15/comparing-android-phone-shipments-with-iphone-blackberry/

I am expecting Android to overtake iPhone for simple economic reasons.

What Google did with Linux is, more or less, what is needed to become
a commercial success among consumers: strong corporate leadership and
attention to getting details right.

From: Rick on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:20:43 -0400, Moshe wrote:

> Ooops!
>
> Silly me!
>
> That was the Apple iPhone 4G *not* the open source OpenMoko phone.
>
> BTW what ever happened to the OpenMoko?
>
> You know, the phone the Linux freetards proclaimed as the iPhone killer?
>
> Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
>
> Linux fails once again.

Your one note sonata has become rather boring. Your dishonesty is glaring.

--
Rick
From: Chris Ahlstrom on
ZnU stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

> In article <zt6dnW8S06bhxrjRnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> Ignoramus31989 <ignoramus31989(a)NOSPAM.31989.invalid> wrote:
>
>> What Google did with Linux is, more or less, what is needed to become
>> a commercial success among consumers: strong corporate leadership and
>> attention to getting details right.
>
> They still don't have it quite right. They've allowed the Android
> platform to fragment too much, IMO. If they can't find some way to fix
> that, they're going to be in big trouble as more people start to really
> think of smartphones as platforms rather than appliances.e

There's something to be said for genetic diversity, though.

Not every business needs to become a Bose-Einstein condensate, the way
"desktop PCs" did.

--
"The one charm of marriage is that it makes a life of deception a necessity."
-- Oscar Wilde
From: Chris Ahlstrom on
ZnU stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

> In article <i04nq9$tq$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc(a)launchmodem.com> wrote:
>
>> ZnU stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

>> > They still don't have it quite right. They've allowed the Android
>> > platform to fragment too much, IMO. If they can't find some way to fix
>> > that, they're going to be in big trouble as more people start to really
>> > think of smartphones as platforms rather than appliances.e
>>
>> There's something to be said for genetic diversity, though.
>>
>> Not every business needs to become a Bose-Einstein condensate, the way
>> "desktop PCs" did.
>
> I agree that the kind of consolidation we saw with Windows is not really
> to anyone's advantage (except, in that case, Microsoft's).

It's not even to Microsoft's advantage, long term anyway, as you noted when
talking about the market shifting away from desktops.

> Diversity should exist. But the question is, at what *level* should it
> exist? Diversity at some levels merely causes interoperability issues
> that *prevent* meaningful choice.

It can. Witness the old days when Timex/Sinclair, Commodore, Apple, Atari,
and PCs with DOS or the early Windows were battling it out, and
each making their own formats of things.

Those days are dead, not just the machine diversity, but the battling it out
of a multitude of formats. You either use a vendor-specific format, or
you go with an open format. And even the open systems have reverse
engineered many of the vendor-specific formats.

The truth is that Free software has bent over backwards to embrace
a multitude of formats and make them work (mostly).

> My preference for the smartphone/tablet market would be to have several
> vertically integrated platforms competing against each other, and it
> looks like a lot of vendors are aiming for that model -- Apple, HP (with
> WebOS), RIM, Microsoft (if they get their act together), maybe Nokia.

The old silos, eh? Yeah, that really encourages interoperability! <not>.

> And then there's Google, off creating this weird internally fragmented
> thing that runs on hardware from a bunch of different vendors. I
> understand why they're doing it. Having a bunch of established handset
> vendors push your software platform for you is an attractive notion.
> Allowing them to customize your software in any way they want and ship
> it on whatever devices they can get it booting on is going to make those
> vendors more likely to adopt it. But optimizing your system on the
> 'attractiveness to handset vendors' metric is not necessarily going to
> produce the most optimal system for end users.

Actually, I'm kind of jaded about smartphones. And the big killer for me is
kind of silly -- I can't get a set of contact lenses that lets me see
distance, and yet at the same time read a tiny screen. :-(

Maybe I should just give up on phones and do what my old bro-in-law did --
buy a Jitterbug. :-D

--
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

Tired of lying in the sunshine And then one day you find
Staying home to watch the rain Ten years have got behind you
You are young and life is long No one told you when to run
And there is time to kill today You missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter Hanging on in quiet desperation
is the English way
Never seem to find the time The time is gone, the song is over
Plans that either come to nought Thought I'd something more to say...
Or half a page of scribbled lines
-- Pink Floyd, "Time"
From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:52:48 -0400, Moshe wrote:

> Choice is great, but when I go into the phone store and see 200 phones,
> I get overwhelmed.

Is your favorite food McDonalds?