From: TomB on
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
On 2010-06-28, the following emerged from the brain of Hadron:
> Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> writes:
>
>> Well, there is no contradiction. GNU/Linux was not intended as an
>> alternative to Windows, because it's a UNIX-family operating system,
>> and it was intended as an alternative to proprietary UNIX.
>
> Instant fail "Aragorn".

Why is that, "Hadron"?

--
BOFH excuse #119:

evil hackers from Serbia.
From: J G Miller on
On Monday, June 28th, 2010 at 09:25:19h -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> A platform controlled by Microsoft will be more open to alternatives.

And how is this reflected in the way that Microsoft have taken steps
to control the BIOS

<http://www.zdnet.co.UK/news/application-development/2003/10/03/microsoft-moves-to-integrate-windows-with-bios-39116902/>

and introduced Digital Restriction Management software to control
what and when media can be played on your hardware?

The next step will be that only MicroSloth (tm) approved hardware
will be allowed to function with Windoze.
From: ceed on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:17:08 -0500, J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.org> wrote:

> The next step will be that only MicroSloth (tm) approved hardware
> will be allowed to function with Windoze.

Not a novel idea. Apple anyone? :)

--
//ceed
From: Snit on
JEDIDIAH stated in post slrni2hc6f.6eo.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet on 6/28/10 7:25
AM:

>> If you break that down into the Linux kernel and the GNU userland
>> portion, then Linux itself started off as a hobby/study project that
>> quickly grew far beyond its original objectives, and the GNU operating
>
> Nope. It was always intended to satisfy the desktop use case aspects
> of the person that created it. The idea that Linux was never intended to
> be a desktop OS is a bit revisionist.

A bit? It is a complete and total error to say so:

<http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/linus-torvalds-part-ii/>
-----
Linus Torvalds: Well, I don�t know about broader adoption,
but the Linux desktop is why I got into Linux in the first
place. I mean, I have never, ever cared about really anything
but the Linux desktop.
But I have never, ever even run a Linux server and I don�t
even want to; it�s not what I�m interested in. I�m more of a
desktop guy. I�ve always used Linux as a workstation person.

So � and I think I see that as not just me. I think a huge
amount of the developers see Linux the same way because it
turns out that while, yes, maybe servers is a huge market,
when you actually look at developers, what developers
interact with all the time is their workstation, their
desktop and that�s the area where you really eat your own dog
food and where you really end up seeing the fruits of your
labor.
-----

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: JEDIDIAH on
On 2010-06-28, Moshe <goldee_loxnbagels(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:55:07 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> writes:

>>> And how is this reflected in the way that Microsoft have taken steps
>>> to control the BIOS
>>>
>>> <http://www.zdnet.co.UK/news/application-development/2003/10/03/microsoft-moves-to-integrate-windows-with-bios-39116902/>
>>>
>>> and introduced Digital Restriction Management software to control
>>> what and when media can be played on your hardware?
>>>
>>> The next step will be that only MicroSloth (tm) approved hardware
>>> will be allowed to function with Windoze.
>>
>> DRM is not MS's invention. It's there for a reason.
>
> Freetards don't like paying for things.

Copy protection never stopped anyone.

Windows pirates are a great demonstration of that.

--
If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDREDS of |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \