From: TJ on
On 06/27/2010 11:02 AM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2010-06-27, Moshe<goldee_loxnbagels(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 09:20:07 -0400, TJ wrote:
>>
>> How about a TV? Ever look
>>> at any Big-Box-Mart TV display?
>>
>> Sony.
>> There is no other TV.
>
> Yup. He's a sheep.

Uh-huh. It was obvious, right from the first post of his that I read,
months ago. He just follows the herd, wherever it takes him. If
something is popular, in his mind it must be good, and by extension the
most popular is the best.

That has to be just about the lousiest criterion to use for making a
decision that I can think of. Millions of people *CAN* be completely,
utterly wrong.

TJ
--
Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be.
Overcoming the disadvantages we face is what makes us strong.
From: J G Miller on
On Sunday, June 27th, 2010 at 17:13:31h -0400, TJ wrote:

> They are both simply tools, that's all. They are not "ways of Life." And
> I haven't yet seen the tool that does every single job better than every
> other tool around.

How many of the other tools have you tried?

<http://alternatives.rzero.COM/os.html>

The issue with Windoze is not just whether or not it is a broken OS,
but the way it takes away freedom from the user, even more so with
its increasing incorporation of DRM technology.

The old classic example of this is -- user buys an "out of region" DVD
and Microsloth Windoze tells the user that the user is not allowed
to watch the DVD.
From: TJ on
On 06/27/2010 05:28 PM, J G Miller wrote:
> On Sunday, June 27th, 2010 at 17:13:31h -0400, TJ wrote:
>
>> They are both simply tools, that's all. They are not "ways of Life." And
>> I haven't yet seen the tool that does every single job better than every
>> other tool around.
>
> How many of the other tools have you tried?
>
> <http://alternatives.rzero.COM/os.html>

Three, actually - but none of them are on the site you reference. Each
was proprietary for long-defunct hardware, and I used each long before I
had anything to do with either Windows or Linux. One of them was over 35
years ago. Each was limited mostly by the hardware involved, rather than
the OS itself, and each manufacturer eagerly sought out user
contributions to then-growing software libraries. "Open Source" is not a
new concept in software.

> The issue with Windoze is not just whether or not it is a broken OS,
> but the way it takes away freedom from the user, even more so with
> its increasing incorporation of DRM technology.
>
> The old classic example of this is -- user buys an "out of region" DVD
> and Microsloth Windoze tells the user that the user is not allowed
> to watch the DVD.

It's still just a tool, and there's no need to use any one tool to the
complete exclusion of all others.

TJ
From: TJ on
On 06/27/2010 08:00 PM, Aragorn wrote:
> On Sunday 27 June 2010 23:13 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as TJ
> wrote...
>

>> They are both simply tools, that's all. They are not "ways of Life."
>> And I haven't yet seen the tool that does every single job better than
>> every other tool around.
>
> Like I said, I haven't come across anything yet that I need anything
> other than GNU/Linux for. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I have one extremely obscure freeware Windows-only program that I use
just for fun in one of my hobbies. There's no reason why it couldn't be
done just as well if not better with Linux, but nobody with the needed
programming skills has been interested in doing it. I would do it
myself, except that my programming skills went out of fashion three OS's
ago.

I have a couple of other programs that I use now and then that do have
Linux equivalents that are close enough, but I don't use them often
enough these days to be worth taking the time and effort to learn a new
interface.

And finally, I have a commercially-produced interactive repair manual on
CD that is also Windows-only. It, too, *could* be converted to be used
with Linux, except that the copyrights are owned by a company that's not
interested. In fact, the company is no longer producing the CD, now
preferring to sell printed manuals - and they don't want to cut into
those sales by allowing somebody to produce an open-source CD.

None of these programs will work properly with Wine or Crossover - I've
tried. And yes, these programs can all be used with Linux through the
use of VirtualBox, but let's face it... Using Windows as a VB guest is
still using Windows.

TJ
From: Rick on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 03:58:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Rex Ballard wrote:
>>
>>> It's not neccessary to stand in line for your chance to get an Android
>>> powered phone.
>>
>> To put this in perspective, Apple pre-sold 600,000 new iPhones --
>> that's
>> less than what Android now sells every four days (160,000 per day).
>

> WronG :

Who?

> Android is not a phone.

No, but Droid is, and it's getting a lot of press. As are many of the
other Android phones.

> It's an OS that most buyers dont know
> about. There are so many 'droid based phones with differ net OS versions
> now its not funny. I look forward to you and Gortard (who is wrong
> almost as often as you), queueing up to help all the different mfrs of
> Android based phones port their proprietary front ends to Froyo ...
>
> It's not a win for Linux.

.... in your opinion.

--
Rick