From: Ohmster on
I want to try and upgrade from Fedora 12 to Fedora 13 to see if my problems
with compiz will go away. I am sure a clean install will do and I will
probably do that anyway, but I want to backup my entire root drive to a 2nd
IDE disk in the same computer. Here are the disk stats. Can someone please
give me a working dd command line with proper switches to basicly copy the
entire disk to the other disk completly so that I can either copy it back
or pluck from it later on? Thank you.

I am not that good with dd and need to get this done today so I can try to
install Fedora 13 this weekend, it is the only time I have to do this.

My boot system is on /dev/sda, that is the big 400Gb disk. /dev/sdb is the
smaller IDE 2nd drive that contains my previous OS before this one. Thank
you.

[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$ df -h
/dev/mapper/vg_ohmster-lv_root
364G 78G 268G 23% /
tmpfs 755M 164K 755M 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1 194M 105M 79M 58% /boot
/dev/mapper/VolGroupOld-LogVolOld00
179G 77G 93G 46% /mnt/old_sys

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 26 204800 83 Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 26 48641 390504001 8e Linux LVM

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2 14 24321 195254010 8e Linux LVM

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:17:03 -0400, Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:

> I am not that good with dd and need to get this done today so I can try to
> install Fedora 13 this weekend, it is the only time I have to do this.
>
> My boot system is on /dev/sda, that is the big 400Gb disk. /dev/sdb is the
> smaller IDE 2nd drive that contains my previous OS before this one. Thank
> you.
>
> [ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$ df -h
> /dev/mapper/vg_ohmster-lv_root
> 364G 78G 268G 23% /
> tmpfs 755M 164K 755M 1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda1 194M 105M 79M 58% /boot
> /dev/mapper/VolGroupOld-LogVolOld00
> 179G 77G 93G 46% /mnt/old_sys

The dd command wouldn't be appropriate for this, due to the
smaller destination space. Try rsync.

rsync -acuvxSXH --delete --exclude="lost+found" --exclude=".gvfs" / /mnt/old_sys

Also, mount sdb1 as /mnt/old_boot and run
rsync -acuvxSXH --delete --exclude="lost+found" --exclude=".gvfs" /boot /mnt/old_boot

Be aware that everything old on /mnt/old* will be deleted.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Bit Twister on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:35:21 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> The dd command wouldn't be appropriate for this, due to the
> smaller destination space. Try rsync.
>
> rsync -acuvxSXH --delete --exclude="lost+found" --exclude=".gvfs" / /mnt/old_sys

Not sure but you may need some ACLs switches. :)

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:21:19 -0400, Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:35:21 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>

>> The dd command wouldn't be appropriate for this, due to the
>> smaller destination space. Try rsync.
>> rsync -acuvxSXH --delete --exclude="lost+found" --exclude=".gvfs" / /mnt/old_sys

> Not sure but you may need some ACLs switches. :)

Good point. I've never used them. The options would then
be -acuvxSXHA. Don't use the X and A options, if either the
source or destination filesystems don't support the
extended user options, or access control lists.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Ohmster on
Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote in news:pan.2010.06.26.22.15.21
@dasteem.invalid:

> and then...
>
> Mount source and target partitions somewhere, and then...
>
> cp -a /mnt/source/* /mnt/target
>
> Tadah!

All of the ideas are well presented, thank you all so much, gentleman. This
cp - a I have used before to move my home dirs and it worked very, very
well. I will do something similar to that this time and use a rescue disk.

Just for laughs, I did the update anyway, I know that my configs will
remain and the new configs will be renamed rpmnew. The system is now Fedora
13, it starts right up, the servers and network shares work just fine, but
X, at least in my account, is toast. It works in two D, and if I turn off
compiz in "look and feel" I can switch desktops and all that. but when I
enable compiz, none of that. You cannot rotate cute or switch desktops at
all, not even the regular workspace switcher applet does anything.

I tried yum update and goe so many fc12 dependency errors that update
failed. A clean install is the only way to get the desktop back again. And
yet, the servers, cli, and samba shares all work just fine.

Thanks!