From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-06-30, Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:

> Oh, once I get Fedora clean, working, with all servers up, I want/need a
> backup of the drive. Then again, especially, when I get compiz-fusion to
> work properly like it tends to do when first installed so I can go back
> after getting ruined by updates, reset to where it was, and then only
> install updates that will not break it. Maybe kernel updates, some
> utility programs, etc. What is a good way to backup my system Linux disc
> to an image and then restore it if need be.

I'm going to assume that's a question.

> I have a 400Gb IDE drive that
> is never full, and a 200Gb IDE drive with lots of room on it, I had my
> old OS and "stuff" on it (Registered software that I got for free, etc.).
> Now I have that all on the 400Gb disk, I can wipe the 200Gb disk and use
> it for backups.

assuming you want to backup against hardware failure.

tar.gz the whole 400g disk and store the contents and a restore script
on the 200g disk

the resore script will partition the new drive and install the files
from the tar and then run lilo or grub etc to install the boot sector

Only backup once unless you have room on the 200g disk for 2 backups
else if the 400G disk drive dies during making a backup you'll have
nothing.

From: unruh on
On 2010-07-01, Jasen Betts <jasen(a)xnet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 2010-06-30, Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Oh, once I get Fedora clean, working, with all servers up, I want/need a
>> backup of the drive. Then again, especially, when I get compiz-fusion to
>> work properly like it tends to do when first installed so I can go back
>> after getting ruined by updates, reset to where it was, and then only
>> install updates that will not break it. Maybe kernel updates, some
>> utility programs, etc. What is a good way to backup my system Linux disc
>> to an image and then restore it if need be.
>
> I'm going to assume that's a question.
>
>> I have a 400Gb IDE drive that
>> is never full, and a 200Gb IDE drive with lots of room on it, I had my
>> old OS and "stuff" on it (Registered software that I got for free, etc.).
>> Now I have that all on the 400Gb disk, I can wipe the 200Gb disk and use
>> it for backups.
>
> assuming you want to backup against hardware failure.
>
> tar.gz the whole 400g disk and store the contents and a restore script
> on the 200g disk
>
> the resore script will partition the new drive and install the files
> from the tar and then run lilo or grub etc to install the boot sector
>
> Only backup once unless you have room on the 200g disk for 2 backups
> else if the 400G disk drive dies during making a backup you'll have
> nothing.

Or use rsync to the 200G disk, assuming you will never have more than
200G on the large disk. That way you need only transfer what has
changed. You could set it up to be a dropin. transfer the files, and
then run lilo/grub so it can boot from that disk. If your main disk
fails just boot from the backup and you are back in business. (You will
need to change /etc/fstab to refelect the location of the partitions on
the new drive rather than the old. )

From: Ohmster on
unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in

> Or use rsync to the 200G disk, assuming you will never have more than
> 200G on the large disk. That way you need only transfer what has
> changed. You could set it up to be a dropin. transfer the files, and
> then run lilo/grub so it can boot from that disk. If your main disk
> fails just boot from the backup and you are back in business. (You will
> need to change /etc/fstab to refelect the location of the partitions on
> the new drive rather than the old. )

Both great ideas.

Can someone give me a tar.tgz command line to backup entire system disk
($ooGb nowhere near full) to 200Gb disk? And then a restore command to put
it all back, like this:

tar.gz the whole 400g disk and store the contents and a restore script
on the 200g disk

the resore script will partition the new drive and install the files
from the tar and then run lilo or grub etc to install the boot sector

And the install to 200Gb disk I can handle. This system is working for all
I need done right now and need a way to put it all back in case I have to.
Only reason I am wiping to install fresh is because the FC13 upgrade left
so much FC12 stuff on the disk that yum update won't even work anymore.

Thnx.
--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Ohmster on
Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote in

> Just like "cp -a /mnt/source/* /mnt/target" clones things, you can
> replace cp with "tar"...
>
> #> tar -clpvzf /path/to/clone.tar.gz /mnt/source
>
> ...then
>
> #> tar -xpvf /path/to/clone.tar.gz -C /mnt/target
>
> ...to restore the clone somewhere.
>
> #> man tar
>
> ...is your next stop.
>
> NOTE: If you drop a cloned OS onto a different partition, don't forget
> to update /etc/fstab to match it's new home.
>
> TIP: Search "partimage" and "rescuecd"
>
> HINT: Get Slackware!

Thank you.

Slackware?!! Ack! I got my hands full with these rpms, could you imagine me
doing the entire distro by tarballs in slackware? Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!