From: Moshe on
Ooops!

Silly me!

That was the Apple iPhone 4G *not* the open source
OpenMoko phone.

BTW what ever happened to the OpenMoko?

You know, the phone the Linux freetards proclaimed as
the iPhone killer?

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Linux fails once again.

From: ZnU on
In article <zt6dnW8S06bhxrjRnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Ignoramus31989 <ignoramus31989(a)NOSPAM.31989.invalid> wrote:

> On 2010-06-26, Moshe <goldee_loxnbagels(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ooops!
> >
> > Silly me!
> >
> > That was the Apple iPhone 4G *not* the open source
> > OpenMoko phone.
> >
> > BTW what ever happened to the OpenMoko?
> >
> > You know, the phone the Linux freetards proclaimed as
> > the iPhone killer?
> >
> > Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
> >
> > Linux fails once again.
> >

> Actually the number of Android shipments is not too far from iPhone
> shipments and is growing. The latest numbers are 65000 daily Android
> shipments and 97,000 iPhone shipments.
>
> http://jkontherun.com/2010/05/15/comparing-android-phone-shipments-with-iphone
> -blackberry/
>
> I am expecting Android to overtake iPhone for simple economic reasons.

Android has a big advantage in that it's not stuck on a single carrier
in the US. By this time next year iPhone probably won't be either, and
we can have us a nice fair fight.

> What Google did with Linux is, more or less, what is needed to become
> a commercial success among consumers: strong corporate leadership and
> attention to getting details right.

They still don't have it quite right. They've allowed the Android
platform to fragment too much, IMO. If they can't find some way to fix
that, they're going to be in big trouble as more people start to really
think of smartphones as platforms rather than appliances.e

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
From: ZnU on
In article <i04nq9$tq$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc(a)launchmodem.com> wrote:

> ZnU stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:
>
> > In article <zt6dnW8S06bhxrjRnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> > Ignoramus31989 <ignoramus31989(a)NOSPAM.31989.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> What Google did with Linux is, more or less, what is needed to become
> >> a commercial success among consumers: strong corporate leadership and
> >> attention to getting details right.
> >
> > They still don't have it quite right. They've allowed the Android
> > platform to fragment too much, IMO. If they can't find some way to fix
> > that, they're going to be in big trouble as more people start to really
> > think of smartphones as platforms rather than appliances.e
>
> There's something to be said for genetic diversity, though.
>
> Not every business needs to become a Bose-Einstein condensate, the way
> "desktop PCs" did.

I agree that the kind of consolidation we saw with Windows is not really
to anyone's advantage (except, in that case, Microsoft's). Diversity
should exist. But the question is, at what *level* should it exist?
Diversity at some levels merely causes interoperability issues that
*prevent* meaningful choice.

My preference for the smartphone/tablet market would be to have several
vertically integrated platforms competing against each other, and it
looks like a lot of vendors are aiming for that model -- Apple, HP (with
WebOS), RIM, Microsoft (if they get their act together), maybe Nokia.

And then there's Google, off creating this weird internally fragmented
thing that runs on hardware from a bunch of different vendors. I
understand why they're doing it. Having a bunch of established handset
vendors push your software platform for you is an attractive notion.
Allowing them to customize your software in any way they want and ship
it on whatever devices they can get it booting on is going to make those
vendors more likely to adopt it. But optimizing your system on the
'attractiveness to handset vendors' metric is not necessarily going to
produce the most optimal system for end users.

From: Moshe on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:38:46 -0400, ZnU wrote:

> In article <i04nq9$tq$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc(a)launchmodem.com> wrote:
>
>> ZnU stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

>>> They still don't have it quite right. They've allowed the Android
>>> platform to fragment too much, IMO. If they can't find some way to fix
>>> that, they're going to be in big trouble as more people start to really
>>> think of smartphones as platforms rather than appliances.e
>>
>> There's something to be said for genetic diversity, though.
>>
>> Not every business needs to become a Bose-Einstein condensate, the way
>> "desktop PCs" did.
>
> I agree that the kind of consolidation we saw with Windows is not really
> to anyone's advantage (except, in that case, Microsoft's). Diversity
> should exist. But the question is, at what *level* should it exist?
> Diversity at some levels merely causes interoperability issues that
> *prevent* meaningful choice.
>
> My preference for the smartphone/tablet market would be to have several
> vertically integrated platforms competing against each other, and it
> looks like a lot of vendors are aiming for that model -- Apple, HP (with
> WebOS), RIM, Microsoft (if they get their act together), maybe Nokia.
>
> And then there's Google, off creating this weird internally fragmented
> thing that runs on hardware from a bunch of different vendors. I
> understand why they're doing it. Having a bunch of established handset
> vendors push your software platform for you is an attractive notion.
> Allowing them to customize your software in any way they want and ship
> it on whatever devices they can get it booting on is going to make those
> vendors more likely to adopt it. But optimizing your system on the
> 'attractiveness to handset vendors' metric is not necessarily going to
> produce the most optimal system for end users.

Google is experiencing a similar version of
fragmentation that Linux has.
Too many different systems, versions that are not
compatible and so forth.

Of course the Android is brand new, so it's having some
growing pains.
With Linux it gets worse by the day as new distributions
are released.

Linux is doomed to never reaching a significant desktop
market share unless it can manage to collectively
organize, combine efforts, give the public what they
really want (research) and have someone with leadership
running the show.

Ubuntu/Canonical is a good start, but they are
destroying the good they have done by releasing shoddy
products.
Everyone knows it but few will admit it.

Choice is great, but when I go into the phone store and
see 200 phones, I get overwhelmed.
From: bbgruff on
Moshe wrote:

> Ooops!
>
> Silly me!
>
> That was the Apple iPhone 4G *not* the open source
> OpenMoko phone.
>
> BTW what ever happened to the OpenMoko?
>
> You know, the phone the Linux freetards proclaimed as
> the iPhone killer?
>
> Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
>
> Linux fails once again.

Fails?
What are the sales figures for the iPhone 4G, and what are they for Android
phones?
.... and why are you plugging Apple all of a sudden? You are surely the
Original Microsoft Fanboi? Where are your figures for MS-based phones?

flatish fails again!