From: Moshe on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:15:12 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Ignoramus12901" <ignoramus12901(a)NOSPAM.12901.invalid> wrote in message

>> Did you know that Sony Bravia TVs have linux embedded inside?
>
> Not only that - the electrolytic capacitors on the inside are manufactured
> by Kemet. And for 99.9% of people who buy a Sony television this is equally
> significant.

True.
From: Ezekiel on

"Aragorn" <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sunday 27 June 2010 17:49 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as TJ

> Take the above, and throw in a large ego...

Remember this "large ego" statement.

> Unfortunately, that's the problem of the majority of people who dwell
> the surface of this planet.

Talk about a "large ego" - pot. kettle. black.

> They have a large enough ego to back up
> their big mouth,

Sounds a lot like you.

> And yes, UNIX is "more technical" than Windows, but that's because UNIX
> was never intended for the uneducated.

So UNIX designed for "smart people" with big egos like you?

> A system as powerful as UNIX can only offer its true power to someone
> who understands enough about IT. This is inevitable.

And for people with "large egos" like you.

> The "grey, unwashed masses" as they are called don't have the kind of
> knowledge to take full advantage of a UNIX operating system on their
> computers,

All this coming from some fat-head with a "large ego."

> They simply don't know any better.

Good thing that you've already determined (twice) that others have a "large
ego."

> And they lack the intellectual capacity to learn...

But of course *you* have that intellectual capacity. How does that "large
ego" of yours fit through the door?

> That's what this whole thing is about: fear, and frustration over their
> own incompetence.

Good thing that you're so smart and competent. Not like all those other
people who suffer from a "large ego."

From: Moshe on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:02:53 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Aragorn" <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Sunday 27 June 2010 17:49 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as TJ
>

>> That's what this whole thing is about: fear, and frustration over their
>> own incompetence.
>
> Good thing that you're so smart and competent. Not like all those other
> people who suffer from a "large ego."

I suspect Aragron suffers from Aspergers syndrome.
He seems to have a few of the traits.
From: Rex Ballard on
On Jun 25, 9:44 pm, Ignoramus31989 <ignoramus31...(a)NOSPAM.
31989.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-06-26, Moshe <goldee_loxnbag...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ooops!
> > Silly me!

> > That was the Apple iPhone 4G *not* the open source
> > OpenMoko phone.

It's not neccessary to stand in line for your chance to get an Android
powered phone. Phones made by Motorola, HTC, and Samsung are in
plentiful supply. Jobs is a master at creating a big hype media
event, and knows how to whip up a frenzy. The "accidentally"
abandoned iPhone4 was the perfect way to show what was really about to
be released, without actually killing sales for their old iPhone. On
the other hand, it created just the right kind of hype to get over 1
million customers, the majority of whom already had the previous
version - to hold of upgrades or prepare for new purchases - so that
both Apple and AT&T could have a very public media event, handing out
600,000 pre-ordered phones on "release day" - and another 400,000 that
were almost certain to be purchased by the friends of those who had
pre-ordered.

By creating a deliberate shortage and setting up a substantial demand
- for release day, Apple got major coverage of the iPhone4 release.
That also set them up for strong sales over time. The other thing is
that Apple could claim all of the advance sales as sales, even if the
phones weren't picked up on release day.

> > BTW what ever happened to the OpenMoko?

There are several Linux powered cell phones, but these days, the
biggest marketing push has been around the android, especially the
Motorola Droid and HTC droid. But there are several new android based
phones that have just been released.

These phones are not in short supply, and you can go to several
different carriers. For a newly released product - a new class of
product - with stiff established competition from both iPhone, and the
900 pound gorilla known as Blackberry.

> > You know, the phone the Linux freetards proclaimed as
> > the iPhone killer?

First of all, nothing is going to kill the iPhone, or the Blackberry,
for that matter, unless either vendor does something incredibly
stupid. On the other hand, there are 4 billion cellular phones in use
world-wide, most of which are replaced on average, every 2 years.
Apple has been able to capture a few million users willing to switch
to AT&T Wireless, willing to pay a premium price for both the phone
and the cellular service plan.

But iPhones only account for a minority of the total AT&T customer
base, and none of the base for Verizon, Sprint, NexTel, or T-Mobil -
not to mention the thousands of carriers world-wide.

Google isn't going after an exclusive premium phone market, they are
going after the other 4 billion phone users who are looking at Droids
much the way the looked at cell phones that featured qwerty keyboards
about 12-18 months ago. Furthermore, the vendors are willing to plan
a long-term run. Companies like Motorola, HTC, LG, Samsung and
others.

Just from the Verizon site - android phones include
Motorola Droid
LG Ally
HTC Droid Incredible
Motorola Devour

> Actually the number of Android shipments is not too far from iPhone
> shipments and is growing. The latest numbers are 65000 daily Android
> shipments and 97,000 iPhone shipments.

Microsoft is still trying yet another foray into the mobile phone
market, with Windows 7 Mobile based phones like the Kin, the LG
Fathom, the HTC Imagio.

And meanwhile, the Palm WebOS - a Linux flavor provides both the
popular palm applications as well as some Linux applications.

> http://jkontherun.com/2010/05/15/comparing-android-phone-shipments-wi...

> I am expecting Android to overtake iPhone for simple economic reasons.

I would expect a triumvirate market for a few years. Apple has been
dealing with competitors like Microsoft and IBM for decades, and has
always fared well. Just when you think Apple might be on it's last
legs, Jobs completely redefines existing markets and creates new
markets. When apple tried to wrestle control of Apple away from Steve
Jobs, Apple floundered.

> What Google did with Linux is, more or less, what is needed to become
> a commercial success among consumers: strong corporate leadership and
> attention to getting details right.

Also notable, Google followed the Microsoft model of providing
something that is very similar to the iPhone, but licenses it to
multiple competitors who have been excluded from the iPhone and
BlackBerry market.

Also important, Google keeps it's competitors informed and treats them
very fairly, and encourages all contributors to enter the market.

From: Moshe on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:27:10 -0400, TJ wrote:

> It's still just a tool, and there's no need to use any one tool to the
> complete exclusion of all others.
>
> TJ

That's good advice.