From: mjt on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:03:37 -0500
Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:

> I could not find the group anywhere in the sort list of available
> newsgroups, and even giganews shows no new posts after May 25th. Is the
> comp.os.linux newsgroup dead?

Been dead since 2005 timeframe. You have to select a sub-group.

--
Mad, adj.:
Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence ...

From: Ohmster on
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote in

>> I could not find the group anywhere in the sort list of available
>> newsgroups, and even giganews shows no new posts after May 25th. Is the
>> comp.os.linux newsgroup dead?
>
> Been dead since 2005 timeframe. You have to select a sub-group.

Ah! Thnx.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Wolfgang Schelongowski on
Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> writes:

>mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>
>>> I could not find the group anywhere in the sort list of available
>>> newsgroups, and even giganews shows no new posts after May 25th. Is the
>>> comp.os.linux newsgroup dead?
>>
>> Been dead since 2005 timeframe. You have to select a sub-group.
>
>Ah! Thnx.

Actually, dead since the beginning of the September which never ended:
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: SCSI Performance (Yet Again)
From: ws(a)xivic.bo.open.de (Wolfgang Schelongowski)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 93 12:18:47 MEST
As this group expires soon (probably no longer read by the
developers anyway) AND you have a rather up-to-date release
0.99.11 against my 0.99.6 AND a real fast hardware, could you

IIRC comp.os.linux.misc etc. were created 1993-08-01, so that
tale coud send the first rmgroup for comp.os.linux on 1993-09-01.
Cf. the indexed archives of control messages of isc.org.

BTW I was wrong about "no longer read by the developers anyway" :-)
A certain Mr. Youngdale did, and found an error in the free-list
of the buffers.
--
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
-- George Bernard Shaw
From: chuckcar on
Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote in

> I am having serious problems with Fedora 12 and compiz. System updates
> broke compiz by the third one, over a year ago, and no one can fix it,
> including me, so I posted to alt.os.linux and comp.os.linux.
>
> I see my post in alt.os.linux, but not comp.os.linux on giganews with
> Xnews. On nntp.aioe.org, which is my NNTP SERVER for linux, slrn gave me
> the following message at startup:
> "comp.os.linux is bogus, dropping it"
>
> I could not find the group anywhere in the sort list of available
> newsgroups, and even giganews shows no new posts after May 25th. Is the
> comp.os.linux newsgroup dead?

Try comp.os.linux.help or .answers There only seems to be a polish fedora
group for some reason - probably dead too I imagine.

The comp.* hierarchy is pure business and broken into absolute sub
categories. I would suggest in the future to load any group in that
subsection of usenet and read a few posts to see if it's actually the group
you want or not. Not a bad idea for any group actually - but it absolutely
applies in those.

I wouldn't bother with the alt groups myself for such. You might also look
at the howto's and faq's you almost certainly have installed in well named
subdirectories of /usr/doc. You get docs for *everything* in linux, you
just need to know where to look. also try "man compiz" and "info" in a
terminal.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
From: Moe Trin on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
<Xns9DA3E5F79CABEchuck(a)127.0.0.1>, chuckcar wrote:

>Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote

>> I could not find the group anywhere in the sort list of available
>> newsgroups, and even giganews shows no new posts after May 25th. Is
>> the comp.os.linux newsgroup dead?

Articles Offered: 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
comp.os.linux: 2820 883 504 466 147 54

If one looked at the articles before posting, it probably would be
rather obvious that the group is essentially dead.

>Try comp.os.linux.help or .answers

Articles Offered: 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
comp.os.linux.help 691 391 155 90 73 13
comp.os.linux.answers 2 0 0 2 1 0

Not exactly high traffic newsgroups either. For your information,
comp.os.linux.help was renamed comp.os.linux.misc on 20 March 1995.
'comp.os.linux.answers' is a moderated group - the description says

comp.os.linux.answers FAQs, How-To's, READMEs, etc. about Linux.

In the 1990s, this group received periodic postings of the Linux-FAQ
and a selection of the 450+ HOWTOs and mini-howtos, but that ceased
long ago.

>The comp.* hierarchy is pure business and broken into absolute sub
>categories.

If you look at the monthly post in the newsgroups news.announce.newgroups,
news.groups and news.lists.misc with the title "List of Big Eight
Newsgroups, you'd find there are just 17 big-eight Linux groups:

comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
comp.os.linux.m68k

and c.o.l.announce and c.o.l.answers are moderated. Any other group
in this hierarchy (including comp.os.linux) are not carried by all,
and are not as useful.

>I wouldn't bother with the alt groups myself for such.

The 'alt.' hierarchy isn't as standardized, but the distribution
specific groups in 'alt.os.linux.*' may be more active/useful.

Old guy