From: mjt on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:48:43 -0500
ibuprofin(a)painkiller.example.tld.invalid (Moe Trin) wrote:

> >I wouldn't bother with the alt groups myself for such.
>
> The 'alt.' hierarchy isn't as standardized, but the distribution
> specific groups in 'alt.os.linux.*' may be more active/useful.

Agreed ... alt.os.linux.suse has always been a fairly active newsgroup
and quite helpful for those geared to SUSE Linux.

Overall, though, USENET has dropped off significantly in terms
of usage by the community.

--
OMNIVERSAL AWARENESS?? Oh, YEH!! First you need four GALLONS of
JELL-O and a BIG WRENCH!! ... I think you drop th' WRENCH in the JELL-O

From: Grant on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 16:05:57 -0500, mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:48:43 -0500
>ibuprofin(a)painkiller.example.tld.invalid (Moe Trin) wrote:
>
>> >I wouldn't bother with the alt groups myself for such.
>>
>> The 'alt.' hierarchy isn't as standardized, but the distribution
>> specific groups in 'alt.os.linux.*' may be more active/useful.
>
>Agreed ... alt.os.linux.suse has always been a fairly active newsgroup
>and quite helpful for those geared to SUSE Linux.

As is a.o.l.slackware :)

>Overall, though, USENET has dropped off significantly in terms
>of usage by the community.

Yes, seems even the ISPs think the Internet consists of email and the
web -- other protocols are poor cousins.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: mjt on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:41:27 +1000
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

> >Overall, though, USENET has dropped off significantly in terms
> >of usage by the community.
>
> Yes, seems even the ISPs think the Internet consists of email and the
> web -- other protocols are poor cousins.

I was reading about the decline just recently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Decline

"By 2008, the Usenet's popularity was in steep decline, with some
sources declaring it dead.[27] In May 2010, Duke University, whose
implementation had kicked off Usenet more than 30 years earlier,
decommissioned its Usenet server, citing low usage and rising costs."

Kinda spooky, in a way. I go back in USENET to the mid '90's, although
I can't find a post previous to '97 ... I spent most of my time in
comp.lang.c[++]/java and comp.object groups, eventually spending more
time in the Linux newsgroups.

Believe it or not, I used to enjoy spending time in the COLA group
(earlier days), but those days are gone :)

I see a lot of the ol' regulars still out here and in some of the
other newsgroups I'm currently subscribed to.

--
The moon may be smaller than Earth, but it's further away.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: Moe Trin on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
<bokf26davp1s5vfc9alhlsedid92d5j38l(a)4ax.com>, Grant wrote:

>mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>ibuprofin(a)painkiller.example.tld.invalid (Moe Trin) wrote:

>>> The 'alt.' hierarchy isn't as standardized, but the distribution
>>> specific groups in 'alt.os.linux.*' may be more active/useful.

>> Agreed ... alt.os.linux.suse has always been a fairly active
>> newsgroup and quite helpful for those geared to SUSE Linux.

I scan 12 'alt.os.linux.*' groups - _generally_ useful, although
some less so.

>As is a.o.l.slackware :)

I scanned a.o.l.egotism for a while - gave it up because the group
purpose appeared to be insulting anyone other than regulars.

>> Overall, though, USENET has dropped off significantly in terms
>> of usage by the community.

That's true of most of the groups, technical as well as the
recreational or humorous ones. Sad, really.

>Yes, seems even the ISPs think the Internet consists of email and the
>web -- other protocols are poor cousins.

Protocols - no. http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers only
lists 148, but few people have heard about more than TCP and maybe
ICMP. Services on the other hand.... hmmm, what is there beyond
the web? Doesn't every hostname on the internet-thingy begin with
"www." and end with ".com"? That's what I hear most users say.

Old guy
From: Martin on
Moe Trin wrote:

>>As is a.o.l.slackware :)
>
> I scanned a.o.l.egotism for a while - gave it up because the group
> purpose appeared to be insulting anyone other than regulars.

;-) Like most good people. However, things have cooled down a little lately.
It is now quite possible to have a meaningful exchange on a subject.