From: daveberm on
I am doing some experimenting and was wondering if there is any way to
use an IP address instead of a computer name when specifying the
configuration database. Every time I try to use an IP address instead
of name, I get the error "Invalid SQL Server Name".

Second question, same topic. Instead of specifying the actual computer
name where SQL server is running, I was trying to figure out a way to
reference an Alias. That doesn't seem to work either. I get the
message

"Error accessing database. Verify that the database server name and the
instance name (if present) are correct. Also, ensure the configuration
database administration account has sufficient permissions on the
server or instance and the service corresponding to your SQL Server
instance is running."

So far I have added an Alias using the Client Network Utility, used the
sp_dropservername (oldservername) sp_addservername (new server
name),local to add the alias name to SQL. Any other ideas? My alias
name is in DNS and also the Hosts file and resolves just fine.

I know everything works fine specifying the real SQL server name. This
is just a little exercise I am working on. Generally web application
work just fine specifying IP address or an Alias, as long as it
resolves to the right IP address. I am curious to know why I can not
seem to do the same thing with Sharepoint.

DaveBerm