From: Dennis Rose on

"MikeD" wrote:

> "Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Thanks Mike and Helmut for your response,
> >
> > I obviously didn't explain my setup correctly. I install all of my
> > runtime
> > files and database files in various shared folders on 1 PC in my
> > customer's
> > office(which I call the Server Computer). I then go to each of the other
> > computers in the customer's office(which I call client computers), browse
> > the
> > network for the "computer with my runtime files and databases", select my
> > shared folder with my exe file, rightclick my exe file and click "send to,
> > desktop create shortcut". The customer then clicks this Icon to run my
> > app
> > from the server computer.
> >
> > They don't have a VPN just a LAN since they usually only have 1 location.
> >
> > If there is a better way, I'm open for suggestions.
>
> Egad. That just doesn't seem "right" to me. <g> Since you need to go
> around to each "client" PC anyway, why not just install the app locally on
> each of them? If the database files need to be shared, then place those on a
> network folder each client computer can access (or better yet, use a
> "server-type" RDBMS; even the free SQL Server Express would do and there are
> other free ones as well).
>
> As far as the problem you originally asked about, a VPN or using remote
> desktop to the office PC (remote desktop, if you're not familiar with it,
> only requires an internet connection but you do need to open firewall ports)
> are the only things I can think of to allow users to work from home.
>
> --
> Mike
>

> .

Dear Mike,

You are just a wealth of knowledge!

I have tested "remote desktop" and it works just fine. The only problem
being that if someone in the office logged on while a remote session was in
process, the connection is broken.

On setting up a VPN, I read the instructions at
"http://faq.programmerworld.net/networking/setting-up-a-vpn-in-windows-two-step-process"
and that seems easy enough. Is that all there is to setting up a VPN? No
special equipment needed? Any security concerns?

About my regular app setup at the customer location. I network to my app
program located on the "server" PC because I update my software several times
a year and would rather update it on 1 server PC instead of many client PCs.
What's wrong with this setup anyway? Am I missing something?

I really appreciate your help on these issues!!!!!

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> About my regular app setup at the customer location. I network to my app
> program located on the "server" PC because I update my software several times
> a year and would rather update it on 1 server PC instead of many client PCs.
> What's wrong with this setup anyway? Am I missing something?

Seems so.
The "server" PC, which operating system is it running?
How many "client PCs"?

If it's just a Workstation, Professional, or Ultimate Edition running on the
"server", then you may be in trouble.
As I said in my first post, there is a limit on "inbound" connections built
into those systems.

If a user is logged-on locally on the "server", then this counts as the first
session. The limit is 10 concurrent sessions. If 9 other PCs try to run
your program concurrently, the session limit is met.
Any access to a shared directory or a shared printer from a different PC
is counted as a session. You can even have two sessions from one PC, if
say the user "John" on PC017 is connected to the "server" and then without
logging-off switches to logon as user "Admin". If he now connect to the
"server" a second session from PC017 is established.

Helmut.

From: Dennis Rose on

"Helmut Meukel" wrote:

> "Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> > About my regular app setup at the customer location. I network to my app
> > program located on the "server" PC because I update my software several times
> > a year and would rather update it on 1 server PC instead of many client PCs.
> > What's wrong with this setup anyway? Am I missing something?
> >

> Seems so.
> The "server" PC, which operating system is it running?
> How many "client PCs"?
>
> If it's just a Workstation, Professional, or Ultimate Edition running on the
> "server", then you may be in trouble.
> As I said in my first post, there is a limit on "inbound" connections built
> into those systems.
>
> If a user is logged-on locally on the "server", then this counts as the first
> session. The limit is 10 concurrent sessions. If 9 other PCs try to run
> your program concurrently, the session limit is met.
> Any access to a shared directory or a shared printer from a different PC
> is counted as a session. You can even have two sessions from one PC, if
> say the user "John" on PC017 is connected to the "server" and then without
> logging-off switches to logon as user "Admin". If he now connect to the
> "server" a second session from PC017 is established.
>
> Helmut.
>
> .
> Helmut,

Thanks for the reply. Most Server PCs at my customer locations run Windows
XP Professional and there may be 3 to 10 Client PCs connected to my system on
the Server PC shared folders.
From: Dennis Rose on

From: Helmut Meukel on

> "Helmut Meukel" wrote:
>
>> "Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> >
>> > About my regular app setup at the customer location. I network to my app
>> > program located on the "server" PC because I update my software several
>> > times
>> > a year and would rather update it on 1 server PC instead of many client
>> > PCs.
>> > What's wrong with this setup anyway? Am I missing something?
>> >

>> Seems so.
>> The "server" PC, which operating system is it running?
>> How many "client PCs"?
>>
>> If it's just a Workstation, Professional, or Ultimate Edition running on the
>> "server", then you may be in trouble.
>> As I said in my first post, there is a limit on "inbound" connections built
>> into those systems.
>>
>> If a user is logged-on locally on the "server", then this counts as the first
>> session. The limit is 10 concurrent sessions. If 9 other PCs try to run
>> your program concurrently, the session limit is met.
>> Any access to a shared directory or a shared printer from a different PC
>> is counted as a session. You can even have two sessions from one PC, if
>> say the user "John" on PC017 is connected to the "server" and then without
>> logging-off switches to logon as user "Admin". If he now connect to the
>> "server" a second session from PC017 is established.
>>
>> Helmut.
>>
> .
> Does the session limit apply to my app only and not to my Database
> located in a shared folder on the same ServerPC?

Aany connection using normal Windows network services as base
counts to the session limit.
However multiple connections from the same ClientPC/User are only
one session. This connection/session limit applies only for inbound
connections. That is "PC008" can connect to hundreds of other PCs
on the LAN using their shared resources.
The "inbound" limit does not apply for FTP connections etc.

If you come close to the 10 session limit, there is one pitfall:
"concurrent" is the term used by M$. This means if I create network
drive "X:" which connects to \\PC002\Customers\ then this counts
as a session on PC002. But about 15 minutes later without any
traffic the "logical" connection is dropped., counting no longer as
session. When I about an hour later try to read some data from
drive X:, the logical connection is automatically reestablished,
causing a Network error if at this time there are already 10 active
sessions on PC002.
With running an app from a network share, in my experience the
logical connection is never dropped.
I overcame this problem by using 2 "server"PCs <g>.

The other - the M$ - solution for this problem is to install a server
version of Windows on the "server"PC, but then you have to pay
for the server version plus enough client licences and M$ will be
happy.

Helmut.