From: Dennis Rose on

"Helmut Meukel" wrote:

> "Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >

> > "Helmut Meukel" wrote:
> >
> >> "Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >> Seems so.
> >> The "server" PC, which operating system is it running?
> >> How many "client PCs"?
> >>
> >> If it's just a Workstation, Professional, or Ultimate Edition running on the
> >> "server", then you may be in trouble.
> >> As I said in my first post, there is a limit on "inbound" connections built
> >> into those systems.
> >>
> >> If a user is logged-on locally on the "server", then this counts as the first
> >> session. The limit is 10 concurrent sessions. If 9 other PCs try to run
> >> your program concurrently, the session limit is met.
> >> Any access to a shared directory or a shared printer from a different PC
> >> is counted as a session. You can even have two sessions from one PC, if
> >> say the user "John" on PC017 is connected to the "server" and then without
> >> logging-off switches to logon as user "Admin". If he now connect to the
> >> "server" a second session from PC017 is established.
> >>
> >> Helmut.
> >>
> > .
> > Does the session limit apply to my app only and not to my Database
> > located in a shared folder on the same ServerPC?
>
> Aany connection using normal Windows network services as base
> counts to the session limit.
> However multiple connections from the same ClientPC/User are only
> one session. This connection/session limit applies only for inbound
> connections. That is "PC008" can connect to hundreds of other PCs
> on the LAN using their shared resources.
> The "inbound" limit does not apply for FTP connections etc.
>
> If you come close to the 10 session limit, there is one pitfall:
> "concurrent" is the term used by M$. This means if I create network
> drive "X:" which connects to \\PC002\Customers\ then this counts
> as a session on PC002. But about 15 minutes later without any
> traffic the "logical" connection is dropped., counting no longer as
> session. When I about an hour later try to read some data from
> drive X:, the logical connection is automatically reestablished,
> causing a Network error if at this time there are already 10 active
> sessions on PC002.
> With running an app from a network share, in my experience the
> logical connection is never dropped.
> I overcame this problem by using 2 "server"PCs <g>.
>
> The other - the M$ - solution for this problem is to install a server
> version of Windows on the "server"PC, but then you have to pay
> for the server version plus enough client licences and M$ will be
> happy.
>
> Helmut.
>
> .
> Helmut,

Thanks again for all the good scoop!!

Now back to my other question about VPNs and
Remote Desktop.

I have tested "remote desktop" and it works just fine. Is any encription
used with Remote Desktop?

On setting up a VPN, I read the instructions at
"http://faq.programmerworld.net/networking/setting-up-a-vpn-in-windows-two-step-process"
and that seems easy enough. Is that all there is to setting up a VPN? No
special equipment needed? Any security concerns? Is any encription used with
VPNs?

Thanks again for your help!!

From: Jason Keats on
Dennis Rose wrote:

> I have tested "remote desktop" and it works just fine. Is any encription
> used with Remote Desktop?
>
> On setting up a VPN, I read the instructions at
> "http://faq.programmerworld.net/networking/setting-up-a-vpn-in-windows-two-step-process"
> and that seems easy enough. Is that all there is to setting up a VPN? No
> special equipment needed? Any security concerns? Is any encription used with
> VPNs?

RDP (remote desktop protocol) uses encryption and so does a VPN.

You don't have to use RDP with a VPN, but it's advisable - to prevent
anyone (or anything) from trying to login to your server via RDP.

If the modem/router/firewall at your work doesn't have a permanent IP
address then you should use a dynamic DNS service, such as dyndns.org,
to help create your VPN.
From: Dennis Rose on

From: MikeD on

"Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have tested "remote desktop" and it works just fine. The only problem
> being that if someone in the office logged on while a remote session was
> in
> process, the connection is broken.

Create multiple Windows accounts and have each user use a different one.
But as has been mentioned, there is a limit on the number of remote
connections you can make.

> On setting up a VPN, I read the instructions at
> "http://faq.programmerworld.net/networking/setting-up-a-vpn-in-windows-two-step-process"
> and that seems easy enough. Is that all there is to setting up a VPN?
> No
> special equipment needed? Any security concerns?

Well, there can be security concerns with ANY kind of network connection. I
don't think any can be considered 100% invulnerable. I'm hardly an expert on
VPN or networking in general. Your best place to ask about VPNs or
networking would be in forums specifically for those topics.

> About my regular app setup at the customer location. I network to my app
> program located on the "server" PC because I update my software several
> times
> a year and would rather update it on 1 server PC instead of many client
> PCs.
> What's wrong with this setup anyway? Am I missing something?
>
> I really appreciate your help on these issues!!!!!

You might be calling it a "server", but it's not. You mention elsewhere
these are Windows XP systems. Those are NOT servers. You can call them
whatever you want, but they're workstations. All you're really doing is
sharing a folder.

If you've been doing things this way for quite some time and have not had
any problems, then I guess go ahead and continue as you've been. As I said
before, it's just unconventional. I would think the biggest drawback would
be performance. Chances are, this PC probably doesn't have the power to
really be doing something like this without everything else on that PC being
affected to some degree, if not severely then at least noticeably. Perhaps
there's never more than a couple of people running your app simultaneously.

True servers are powerful workhorses that are designed to provide services
to multiple workstations and multiple users, and are going to be running
Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 (and I'm sure some servers are
still running Windows 2000 Server or even a non-Windows platform).

I understand the convenience of only having to update your app once, instead
of going around to each workstation and updating it. But there are most
definitely better ways to deal with that than what you're doing. You could
use some kind of push technology that automatically pushes updates to
workstations when users log in. Or you could write auto-update functionality
into your app. There are many ways to do this. What I find works well is to
have a "stub" program that checks a network folder to see if an updated
version is available. If so, it copies the updates file(s) from the network
folder to the local installation folder. Then it launches the main app and
the stub program closes. If no update is available, then it just launches
the main program and closes. In a nutshell, that's really all there is to
it. An issue with this, especially with Vista and Win7, is that users
probably won't have the necessary permissions to update the program even if
they're an admin. So the stub program needs to run with elevated
permissions.

--
Mike

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Helmut Meukel" <Helmut_Meukel(a)NoProvider.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> Does the session limit apply to my app only and not to my Database
>> located in a shared folder on the same ServerPC?
>
> Any connection using normal Windows network services as base
> counts to the session limit.
> However multiple connections from the same ClientPC/User are only
> one session. This connection/session limit applies only for inbound
> connections. That is "PC008" can connect to hundreds of other PCs
> on the LAN using their shared resources.
> The "inbound" limit does not apply for FTP connections etc.
>
> If you come close to the 10 session limit, there is one pitfall:
> "concurrent" is the term used by M$. This means if I create network
> drive "X:" which connects to \\PC002\Customers\ then this counts
> as a session on PC002. But about 15 minutes later without any
> traffic the "logical" connection is dropped., counting no longer as
> session. When I about an hour later try to read some data from
> drive X:, the logical connection is automatically reestablished,
> causing a Network error if at this time there are already 10 active
> sessions on PC002.
> With running an app from a network share, in my experience the
> logical connection is never dropped.
> I overcame this problem by using 2 "server"PCs <g>.
>
> The other - the M$ - solution for this problem is to install a server
> version of Windows on the "server"PC, but then you have to pay
> for the server version plus enough client licences and M$ will be
> happy.
>
> Helmut.

Another solution would be to use a NDAS - Network Direct
Attached Storage.
You have to install drivers on each PC using it, but then Windows
will treat it as a local disk!
I'm using one in my own Gigabit LAN since January and it works
flawlessly. The prices here in Germany are 66 euro for the empty
box + 110 euro for the 2TB 3.5" Drive.
http://www.ximeta.com

Helmut.