From: Dennis Rose on

"MikeD" wrote:

> [...]
> > No
> > special equipment needed? Any security concerns?
>
> Well, there can be security concerns with ANY kind of network connection. I
> don't think any can be considered 100% invulnerable. I'm hardly an expert on
> VPN or networking in general. Your best place to ask about VPNs or
> networking would be in forums specifically for those topics.
>

> > About my regular app setup at the customer location. I network to my app
> > program located on the "server" PC because I update my software several
> > times
> > a year and would rather update it on 1 server PC instead of many client
> > PCs.
> > What's wrong with this setup anyway? Am I missing something?
> >
> > I really appreciate your help on these issues!!!!!
>

> You might be calling it a "server", but it's not. You mention elsewhere
> these are Windows XP systems. Those are NOT servers. You can call them
> whatever you want, but they're workstations. All you're really doing is
> sharing a folder.
>
> If you've been doing things this way for quite some time and have not had
> any problems, then I guess go ahead and continue as you've been. As I said
> before, it's just unconventional. I would think the biggest drawback would
> be performance. Chances are, this PC probably doesn't have the power to
> really be doing something like this without everything else on that PC being
> affected to some degree, if not severely then at least noticeably. Perhaps
> there's never more than a couple of people running your app simultaneously.
>
> True servers are powerful workhorses that are designed to provide services
> to multiple workstations and multiple users, and are going to be running
> Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 (and I'm sure some servers are
> still running Windows 2000 Server or even a non-Windows platform).
>
> I understand the convenience of only having to update your app once, instead
> of going around to each workstation and updating it. But there are most
> definitely better ways to deal with that than what you're doing. You could
> use some kind of push technology that automatically pushes updates to
> workstations when users log in. Or you could write auto-update functionality
> into your app. There are many ways to do this. What I find works well is to
> have a "stub" program that checks a network folder to see if an updated
> version is available. If so, it copies the updates file(s) from the network
> folder to the local installation folder. Then it launches the main app and
> the stub program closes. If no update is available, then it just launches
> the main program and closes. In a nutshell, that's really all there is to
> it. An issue with this, especially with Vista and Win7, is that users
> probably won't have the necessary permissions to update the program even if
> they're an admin. So the stub program needs to run with elevated

Back to the Remote Desktop solution your suggested.

I can get Remote Desktop to work fine in my office on my network, but, when
I try to log on from another network at a remote location I get the message:
"Remote Desktop Disconnected. This computer can't connect to the remote
computer".

I get this message using both Vista and XP remote computers. I have
researched Google but I still can't get it to work from another network at a
remote location.

What could be wrong???
From: MikeD on

> Back to the Remote Desktop solution your suggested.
>
> I can get Remote Desktop to work fine in my office on my network, but,
> when
> I try to log on from another network at a remote location I get the
> message:
> "Remote Desktop Disconnected. This computer can't connect to the remote
> computer".
>
> I get this message using both Vista and XP remote computers. I have
> researched Google but I still can't get it to work from another network at
> remote location.
>
> What could be wrong???

You're asking the wrong person and in the wrong newsgroup. This particular
problem has nothing to do with VB or even programming for that matter. Not
trying to be rude. You just stand a much better change of getting help with
this by asking for help in the right place. The ONLY guess I have is that a
firewall may be blocking the connection when outside the network. Many
firewalls are configured in this manner. You need to ask a network person
about this.

--
Mike