From: Rob on
On 8/02/2010 12:31 PM, Marts wrote:
> I have a P4 based computer which has multiple USB ports on an Asus P5 based
> motherboard.
>
> Yesterday I plugged my Seagate 1tb external drive into it. I then plugged a WD
> portable HDD into it. However, Windows reported a hardware error.
>
> I unplugged the Seagate and plugged the WD in. It read fine.
>
> I then plugged the Seagate back in. Windows reported the hardware error again.
>
> It seems that for some reason Windows (XP SP2) cannot have two USB based storage
> devices running at the same time.
>
> I used different USB ports during this testing, too in case they were off the
> same root hub or whatever it's called.
>
> Didn't make any difference.
>
> Any ideas?

yes you can have 2 USB HDD's at the same time actually I have used 3.
Exterhal case, and two sata docking stations. All mine are powered tho.

Is the WD portable tak8ng too much power?? and does it have two USB
plugs on the cable? are both plugged in?

From: atec 77 "atec on
Rob wrote:
> On 8/02/2010 12:31 PM, Marts wrote:
>> I have a P4 based computer which has multiple USB ports on an Asus P5
>> based
>> motherboard.
>>
>> Yesterday I plugged my Seagate 1tb external drive into it. I then
>> plugged a WD
>> portable HDD into it. However, Windows reported a hardware error.
>>
>> I unplugged the Seagate and plugged the WD in. It read fine.
>>
>> I then plugged the Seagate back in. Windows reported the hardware
>> error again.
>>
>> It seems that for some reason Windows (XP SP2) cannot have two USB
>> based storage
>> devices running at the same time.
>>
>> I used different USB ports during this testing, too in case they were
>> off the
>> same root hub or whatever it's called.
>>
>> Didn't make any difference.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> yes you can have 2 USB HDD's at the same time actually I have used 3.
> Exterhal case, and two sata docking stations. All mine are powered tho.
>
> Is the WD portable tak8ng too much power?? and does it have two USB
> plugs on the cable? are both plugged in?

I would be interested to see if they work together in another machine ,
it might be a case thing but I have had trouble with wd and another
brand in the same machine , wd seems not terribly compatable with other
brands
From: Doug Jewell on
Marts wrote:
> I have a P4 based computer which has multiple USB ports on an Asus P5 based
> motherboard.
>
> Yesterday I plugged my Seagate 1tb external drive into it. I then plugged a WD
> portable HDD into it. However, Windows reported a hardware error.
The issue will be power - the portable HDD will be drawing
the limit of power that your USB ports can deliver. The USB
specification is that a device cannot draw more than 500mA
from the USB bus. WD don't seem to list a power spec for
their external drives, but their internal 2.5" drives draw
500mA. The externals are basically internal drives in a
shell, so are going to be drawing right on the limit of the
USB port. In theory each port should be able to deliver full
power simultaneously, but in practice a lot of USB
implementations fall over when they are delivering high power.

> I unplugged the Seagate and plugged the WD in. It read fine.
>
> I then plugged the Seagate back in. Windows reported the hardware error again.
>
> It seems that for some reason Windows (XP SP2) cannot have two USB based storage
> devices running at the same time.
It can comfortably drive as many devices as you have drive
letters - actually more if you use some tricks. I routinely
use 4 external HD's plus 2 or more thumb-drives, an Ipod,
and a memory card reader. Windows doesn't even blink at this.

> I used different USB ports during this testing, too in case they were off the
> same root hub or whatever it's called.
But most likely still off the same interface.

> Didn't make any difference.
>
> Any ideas?
A good quality powered USB hub will solve your problem. I
can recommend from experience either a Belkin or Targus, but
there are sure to be many more that will work.

--
What is the difference between a duck?
From: Rob on
On 10/02/2010 9:27 AM, Marts wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote...

>>> Dunno how. You plug one end into the port, the other into the HDD...
>>
>> No, I meant the cable inside the PC case, between
>> the motherboard and the front physical port.
>
> No. Installed by the computer builder (Computers and Parts Land in MEL).
>
>> Did you try with both drives on USB ports on the back that are soldered into the motherboard ?
>>
>> That eliminates any cable.
>
> Yes. Same result.

Have you looked up microsoft as see if they have a Fix for the problem?

Run this fix can't hurt.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900
From: atec 77 "atec on
Marts wrote:
> atec 77 wrote...
>
>> I would be interested to see if they work together in another machine ,
>
> They do. I have a PCI based 4 port USB 2.0 adaptor in an aging IBM Netvista. I
> plugged the two drives into it and copied the files from one HDD directly to the
> other.
>
> It's just this one PC that it doesn't work on.
>
> And despite Rod Spittle's bullshit about "mangling" something, there is
> something inherently wrong with the way the USB ports are working. Although they
> can handle any number of other peripherals such as wireless mouse/keyboard, MFC
> printer, webcam and a second printer.
>
> Plug one external drive (portable HDD, external HDD, thumbdrive, memory card
> reader) in, fine. Plug a second one in, no go...
>
> Doesn't matter. I've used another computer to copy the files over. I'd just like
> to know why this particular machine cannot handle two USB drives concurrently.
>
> Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, though.

I think you have all the relevant information through the suggestions
I am inclined to think either to much current drawn for the installed
chip set r the board is old and the chips are simply unable to operate
two drives which did happen years ago along wit things like single sided
ram.Good you got the job done .