From: Jeffrey Goldberg on
On 10-06-20 3:47 PM, Calum wrote:
> On 20/06/10 12:55, Mike Lane wrote:
>
>> Are there any issues with using this setting permanently, does anyone
>> know?
>
> Only that you're sending yet more data about browsing habits to Herr
> Google.

I thought about that when I first signed up, but I figured I would
rather have Google know which domains I queried than my ISP. Remember,
your ISP actually knows who you are by your IP address. Google would
have to work a little to figure that out.

Google's privacy policy for DNS is reassuring, but again each individual
must make the choice for themselves of who they trust with name
resolution query issues.

Cheers,

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg http://goldmark.org/jeff/
I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts
From: Andy Hewitt on
Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> wrote:

> On 10-06-20 3:47 PM, Calum wrote:
> > On 20/06/10 12:55, Mike Lane wrote:
> >
> >> Are there any issues with using this setting permanently, does anyone
> >> know?
> >
> > Only that you're sending yet more data about browsing habits to Herr
> > Google.
>
> I thought about that when I first signed up, but I figured I would
> rather have Google know which domains I queried than my ISP. Remember,
> your ISP actually knows who you are by your IP address. Google would
> have to work a little to figure that out.
>
> Google's privacy policy for DNS is reassuring, but again each individual
> must make the choice for themselves of who they trust with name
> resolution query issues.

Very interesting stuff. I had no idea that such a thing was possible
until I read this thread. Anyway, thought I'd give it a try, and see
what it's like. Like Warren says, I think it could be a little more
responsive.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: Mark on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:31:55 +0100, Andy Hewitt wrote
(in article <1jkep5e.1mk16jau3oh20N%thewildrover(a)me.com>):

> Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody(a)goldmark.org> wrote:

>>> Only that you're sending yet more data about browsing habits to Herr
>>> Google.
>>
>> I thought about that when I first signed up, but I figured I would
>> rather have Google know which domains I queried than my ISP. Remember,
>> your ISP actually knows who you are by your IP address. Google would
>> have to work a little to figure that out.
>>
>> Google's privacy policy for DNS is reassuring, but again each individual
>> must make the choice for themselves of who they trust with name
>> resolution query issues.
>
> Very interesting stuff. I had no idea that such a thing was possible
> until I read this thread. Anyway, thought I'd give it a try, and see
> what it's like. Like Warren says, I think it could be a little more
> responsive.

As of a week or 10 days ago, browsing has become very slow, and Firefox can
be very unresponsive - sometimes taking several/many seconds to open links
(and sometimes not at all). In the meantime I have restarted a couple of
times and also repaired permissions without any change. I wonder if switching
to Google DNS might help?

I was always fine with Virgin cable, but now with O2 this behavior crops up
with increasing frequency.

Cheers ... Mark

From: Andy Hewitt on
Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:31:55 +0100, Andy Hewitt wrote
> (in article <1jkep5e.1mk16jau3oh20N%thewildrover(a)me.com>):
[..]
> > Very interesting stuff. I had no idea that such a thing was possible
> > until I read this thread. Anyway, thought I'd give it a try, and see
> > what it's like. Like Warren says, I think it could be a little more
> > responsive.
> >

> As of a week or 10 days ago, browsing has become very slow, and Firefox can
> be very unresponsive - sometimes taking several/many seconds to open links
> (and sometimes not at all). In the meantime I have restarted a couple of
> times and also repaired permissions without any change. I wonder if switching
> to Google DNS might help?
>
> I was always fine with Virgin cable, but now with O2 this behavior crops up
> with increasing frequency.

Might be worth a try, even as an ellimination process.

From: Michael Dines on
Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> As of a week or 10 days ago, browsing has become very slow, and Firefox can
> be very unresponsive - sometimes taking several/many seconds to open links
> (and sometimes not at all). In the meantime I have restarted a couple of
> times and also repaired permissions without any change. I wonder if switching
> to Google DNS might help?
>
> I was always fine with Virgin cable, but now with O2 this behavior crops up
> with increasing frequency.
>
> Cheers ... Mark

As far as I know this is a known issue with O2. I had trouble with their
DNS soon after I chaned to them (also from Virgin) so I now use opendns
(www.opendns.com) which is fine and free.

Also because I've got an NAS that needs to be accessed from the internet
I use Dynamic DNS which routes traffic to my NAS if O2 change the IP
address.