From: W. eWatson on
I downloaded and unzipped Magic Mail on my Win7 machine, but the
Magic.exe program wants to unzip again. Is Win7 having trouble
understanding it's an executable, and now some sort of zipped file? How
does it get fixed?
From: Peter Foldes on
Contact Magic Mail support. I will be surprised if you are able to. Get RID of Magic
Mail it is nothing but pure junk and trouble

--
Peter

From: W. eWatson on
Peter Foldes wrote:
> Contact Magic Mail support. I will be surprised if you are able to. Get
> RID of Magic Mail it is nothing but pure junk and trouble

That in no way is a shared experience. I've been using it for 5-6 years.
What support? The only support I've seen is from here, and a woman.
Forgotten her name. It was years ago. What's an alternative to MM3?
From: Peter Foldes on
How about Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail

From: VanguardLH on
W. eWatson wrote:

> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> Contact Magic Mail support. I will be surprised if you are able to. Get
>> RID of Magic Mail it is nothing but pure junk and trouble
>>
> That in no way is a shared experience. I've been using it for 5-6 years.
> What support? The only support I've seen is from here, and a woman.
> Forgotten her name. It was years ago. What's an alternative to MM3?

I used MagicMailMonitor (MMM) and also tried PopTray but went back to MMM.
This was for probably around 2 to 3 years. That was when I was using
Outlook 2002 and it would periodically have problems connecting to mail
servers if left constantly running (after a day or two, it could no longer
connect to mail server and it had to be exited and reloaded to get it
connecting again; only a problem with POP/SMTP and not when using Exchange).

Also, Outlook (up to and including version 2003; don't have experience with
2007) wants to popup a warning dialog every time it fails to establish a
mail session with the server at the scheduled poll interval. With a mail
poll interval of 10 minutes, that's 144 polls per day. Like I care if two
or a dozen happen to fail. I'm not getting e-mails from that server,
anyway, until it becomes responsive again so the error prompts about a
failed attempt to establish a mail session is worthless. Because POP only
has 2 status codes (OK and ERR), the e-mail client doesn't know why the
session could not get established (after the server apparently accepted the
login credentials). The server might've accepted the connection but refused
the login credentials, or there was a disconnect, or the server accepted teh
login credentials but then failed to find sufficient resources to maintain
the session, or the following POP commands failed. All Outlook knows is the
mail session could not get established (the single -ERR code got sent back
after the login credentials were sent) so it pops open the dialog saying the
login failed and to reenter the login credentials (but the login may not
have been the cause of the failure). MMM and PopTray don't have these
superfluous "I can't get e-mail now" prompts because you can configure them
to not issue that error prompt. Can't do that in Outlook. While my ISP's
e-mail service is rarely down, it does sometimes go down. So what am I
going to do about the problem when the prompt appears since the server
remains unreachable, unresponsive, or unavailable? Nothing so the prompt
doesn't help me at all. Hotmail has been the worst e-mail provider for me
with repeated down times. With an e-mail monitor (configured to not show
the session failure), I did not get the useless error dialog that Outlook
displays and which would interfere with my current work when those popups
from Outlook would appear on top of all windows.

An advantage of MMM and PopTray over the vast majority of other e-mail
monitors is that you can define filters in them just like you can in your
e-mail client. So you can duplicate your anti-spam and unwanted-mail rules
in these monitors and eliminate those e-mails from getting downloaded into
Outlook. Sometimes these monitors consume a lot less memory than the e-mail
client (but look at the Processes tab in Task Manager because many have
grown in size). While MMM is smaller than Outlook, that's only when Outlook
is displaying its UI. If you minimize Outlook to a tray icon, it releases
it UI resources and memory consumption becomes as low or lower than for MMM.

Eventually I dumped MMM and haven't bothered using another e-mail monitor.
All my e-mail providers have become far more reliable in establishing mail
sessions except for Hotmail. For Hotmail, I got around getting nuisanced
with the incorrect login failed prompt from Outlook (it wasn't because the
login credentials submitted to Hotmail were wrong because of a problem at
the server is establishing the mail session after providing those login
credentials). This was by using Gmail to yank e-mails from Hotmail using
POP. I have a Gmail account which can also act as a collector account (for
up to 5 other POP accounts). Because the Gmail *service* is polling my
Hotmail account, I don't have to poll it and get nuisanced with the too
often occuring bogus login error dialog. Polling Gmail via POP has proven
far more reliable than with Hotmail. So e-mail goes to my Hotmail account,
gets yanked by my Gmail account, and I poll just my Gmail account to find my
Hotmail and Gmail messages. There is a downside to use Gmail to poll any
other POP account: the poll could get delayed for up to an hour. The
polling interval starts at 5 minutes. If Gmail doesn't find any new
messages in the polled POP accounts, it ups its poll interval up to a
maximum of 60 minutes. However, my Hotmail accounts are secondary accounts
so an hour delay for e-mails delivered to them is unimportant to me. If I
am expecting an e-mail in my Hotmail account that I need to immediately
address, I can use the webmail interface to Hotmail to check when that
now-expected message arrives.

Since a minimized-to-tray-icon instance of Outlook consumes less memory than
MMM or PopTray, because the rules set in Outlook is stronger (but doesn't
provide for the regex available in filters in MMM or PopTray), and because I
eliminated the bogus login-failed prompts by Outlook, I just leave Outlook
running and minimized to a tray icon. There's no point in using MMM anymore
(for me). You might have another reason for using MMM.

As to your problem ...

Are you sure that you downloaded a .zip file that contains the program,
ancilliary, and config files for MMM? Maybe what you downloaded was the
..exe file (which is a self-extracting archive) that someone put inside a
..zip file (so an .exe download wouldn't run afoul of filter, blockers, spam
filters, etc). I've seen this for many downloads where the .exe file gets
wrapped inside a .zip file but not to compress it to a smaller size to
reduce bandwidth consumption.

From where did you obtain the MMM download? Was it at Sourceforge
(http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/)? When you click on the link to go to their
download page, did clicking on the magic-294b19.zip download link end up
with you downloading a .zip file? When I unzipped that file archive, I got
11 files. Only one was executable (magic.exe) and that runs the MMM program
(not another self-extracting archive).
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Lsas Blaster Keyloger