From: Albert D. Kallal on
"Daniel A. Galant" <daniel.galant(a)mindsharp.com> wrote in message

> The front ends don't sync to anything, they pull data from a backend SQL
> server.

Actually, with SharePoint, they now do.....

Right, but we not talking about the data here, we talking about syncing
changes to the applications.

Individual parts of the application (forms, reports, code) after being
modified can thus be synced to the copy sitting on SharePoint. This is NOT
the whole application being changed, but ONLY the parts that have been
worked on.

The above is based on the new features in ms-access in which you can "web"
publish an access application to SharePoint. So, after you web published
then if you modify a SINGLE form, or some code on the CLIENT side and then
hit the sync button, those changes are then synced from the desktop client
to the copy of the application sitting on the server. Any other user that
decides to open the client application via SharePoint (thus does not yet
have a copy of the application on their desktop) will then get a copy of the
application downloaded to their desktop. And, after that occurs, again I can
modify ONE form, and ONLY the one form is synced, NOT A WHOLE copy of the
application. So, any one who has one of these copies on their desktop will
receive NEW updates if a form is modified next time they launch the
application.

Now, the above is generally assume to be a web based application in
ms-access. (just to get you up to speed, access 2010 allows 100% browser
based (web) applications to be built using SharePoint 2010).

However, since ms-access allows a mix of both VBA forms (non web), and also
100% web forms, the above automatic "replication" or "deployment" system CAN
ALSO be used for 100% non web based applications. (but, to be clear, you
actually are talking about a web based application with VBA forms in it).
You can also upsize, or setup linked tables to SharePoint lists in
ms-access, but that's not what we are talking about.

So, that "published" application (the act of publishing has significant
meaning here by the way) thus might not have any web components, and might
not even have its data on SharePoint. However, that app can still have rich
VBA forms that are based on tables linked to SharePoint, SQL server, or even
a back end access on a file share.

So, this discussion is talking about syncing the application parts, NOT the
data part. The question being asked is while I am developing an application,
what happens if I accidently sync out my ONE OF my VBA forms that was
working on. If I DID NOT want to send out this form then how can I revert
the application back to the previous version of the application..... That is
our context of this discussion...

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: Daniel A. Galant on
Fine, let's not forget where SharePoint is storing all this info, in SQL.
What is happening here is that Access Services (a feature of 2010, so not
currently available in this manner in SharePoint 2007) is taking the data of
your Access database and converting it to SharePoint lists and forms, doing
the behind the scenes work so you don't have to. The data is still stored in
the backend SQL server, stored in the content database of the site
collection where you publish your Access application. If your user then
accesses that 'application' using Access, it will download the data and
convert it back into the relevant Access database using a local copy (as you
mention) and then push any changes back up into SharePoint. What this does
is allows users to access the information either using Access or a web
browser, since SharePoint is now handling the data management.

All the normal SharePoint rules will still apply. Lists, items, libraries
etc. The Access application simply becomes a set of these in a SharePoint
site. If you publish an early or premature version of your application,
SharePoint will create the lists, forms etc, for this app. Not having played
with any of this yet, (Access is certainly not my forte) while there is
supposed to be two way synchronization, I don't know that re-publishing an
earlier version of the app will delete any lists or forms that would have
been added by your premature push of a newer version of the application.

I hope this is making some sense within the context of the thread.

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.

From: Daniel A. Galant on
See inline...

--

"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal(a)msn.com> wrote in message
> "Daniel A. Galant" <daniel.galant(a)mindsharp.com> wrote in message
>
>> The front ends don't sync to anything, they pull data from a backend SQL
>> server.
>
> Actually, with SharePoint, they now do.....
>
> Right, but we not talking about the data here, we talking about syncing
> changes to the applications.
>
> Individual parts of the application (forms, reports, code) after being
> modified can thus be synced to the copy sitting on SharePoint. This is NOT
> the whole application being changed, but ONLY the parts that have been
> worked on.

This is still data that is stored inside of SQL. Just as if I added a new
column to a list or library. No argument.

> The above is based on the new features in ms-access in which you can "web"
> publish an access application to SharePoint. So, after you web published
> then if you modify a SINGLE form, or some code on the CLIENT side and then
> hit the sync button, those changes are then synced from the desktop client
> to the copy of the application sitting on the server. Any other user that
> decides to open the client application via SharePoint (thus does not yet
> have a copy of the application on their desktop) will then get a copy of
> the application downloaded to their desktop. And, after that occurs, again
> I can modify ONE form, and ONLY the one form is synced, NOT A WHOLE copy
> of the application. So, any one who has one of these copies on their
> desktop will receive NEW updates if a form is modified next time they
> launch the application.
>
> Now, the above is generally assume to be a web based application in
> ms-access. (just to get you up to speed, access 2010 allows 100% browser
> based (web) applications to be built using SharePoint 2010).
>
> However, since ms-access allows a mix of both VBA forms (non web), and
> also 100% web forms, the above automatic "replication" or "deployment"
> system CAN ALSO be used for 100% non web based applications. (but, to be
> clear, you actually are talking about a web based application with VBA
> forms in it). You can also upsize, or setup linked tables to SharePoint
> lists in ms-access, but that's not what we are talking about.

You can't use VBA when creating an Access database that you are going to
push up to SharePoint. VBA, Action Queries and traditional Access macros are
not supported by Access Services.

From: David W. Fenton on
"Daniel A. Galant" <daniel.galant(a)mindsharp.com> wrote in

> A SharePoint Front
> End server is simply the access point that a user connects to to
> then get at whatever data you are trying to make available.

True up to Access/Sharepoint 2010, which is the subject of this
discussion.

The new version offers new features, including the capability I've
been quizzing Albert about.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on

> I hope this is making some sense within the context of the thread.

Your comments are only partially applicable to the version of
Sharepoint that this thread is discussing. That is, all the
capabilities of previous versions of Sharepoint remain, but are
vastly expanded with Access services.

You might spend some time going back to the numerous threads about
Access 2010 and Sharepoint 2010 in this newsgroup, mostly launched
by valuable postings from Albert Kallal. Once you get caught up on
the discussion, you'll regret what you've said here, as it's
incorrect.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/