From: David W. Fenton on
"Daniel A. Galant" <daniel.galant(a)mindsharp.com> wrote in

> Excuse me David, but maybe there has been more of this discussion
> somewhere else, I have only been following the thread on the
> microsoft.public,sharepoint.general forum. That particular thread
> topic happens to be "Using SharePoint 2010 for data storage...."
> so forgive me if I thought this had something to do with actually
> storing data.

Maybe you should watch more carefully what threads you are posting
in.

There has been really extensive and lengthy discussion of all sorts
of A2010/Sharepoint issues in comp.databases.ms-access, which is the
newsgroup I am seeing this article [cross-]posted in. Maybe you
should check the newsgroups header before posting a reply.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Daniel A. Galant on
David,

I have no idea what burr flew up your.... In most cases these forums are
used for an exchange if information, ideas and learning. In looking over the
posts that I have been replying to etc, none of my comments are out of
bounds, out of line (except maybe some of my comments to you in response to
your attitude... ) or not relevant. Again, it seems pretty clear to me that
you are unaware of how SharePoint works. Publishing an Access database to
SharePoint, with 2010, will still have to play by SharePoint rules, meaning
that the Access application becomes a series of SharePoint lists and forms,
which, regardless of what you want to believe, reside on the backend SQL
server. SharePoint is not a front end for Access, at least not according to
the product folks I have spoken to.

The fact that this is being cross posted is also irrelevant to your
comments. I have been commenting on the thread as it appears in the
SharePoint forums, so perhaps you had better take some of your own advice.

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.

From: David W. Fenton on

> I have no idea what burr flew up your.... In most cases these
> forums are used for an exchange if information, ideas and
> learning. In looking over the posts that I have been replying to
> etc, none of my comments are out of bounds, out of line (except
> maybe some of my comments to you in response to your attitude... )
> or not relevant. Again, it seems pretty clear to me that you are
> unaware of how SharePoint works. Publishing an Access database to
> SharePoint, with 2010, will still have to play by SharePoint
> rules, meaning that the Access application becomes a series of
> SharePoint lists and forms, which, regardless of what you want to
> believe, reside on the backend SQL server. SharePoint is not a
> front end for Access, at least not according to the product folks
> I have spoken to.

You are calling Albert Kallal a liar, as he has said that publishing
an Access app in the way described in this thread (i.e., no data,
just the Access app, with no web forms and no Sharepoint hosting)
does *not* convert the app or its data to Sharepoint lists, but
instead stores the file in a BLOB field.

If you know this to be false or misleading, please provide the
documentation for your assertion that Albert is wrong. You will
perhaps want to review the history of this thread in more detail
than you seem to have already done, given how off-the-mark your
replies have been in terms of the subject being discussed in this
thread.

> The fact that this is being cross posted is also irrelevant to
> your comments. I have been commenting on the thread as it appears
> in the SharePoint forums, so perhaps you had better take some of
> your own advice.

Had you read the history of the thread you were posting to, you
would have realized that the comments you posted were completely
off-base.

I await your documentation for your assertions that contradict
Albert, or your retraction and apology.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Daniel A. Galant on
Ok, I'll try and make this as civil as I can. I have indeed gone through
this entire thread, and only this thread as it is the only one I have been
posting in or are concerned with. I have also watched, again, the relevant
posted video that was pointed out by Albert, in his response to Bob, early
on in this thread to see if I perhaps misunderstood its content. In going
over the contents of all this, the only one who is out of line here David is
you. At no time have I called Albert a liar, I would love for you to point
out where in this thread I have done so. Also, you have stated:

"If so, it's still completely irrelevant, since we weren't talking
about data storage."

I would like to bring to your attention this from the original post of this
thread.

"Again my interest is data on sharepoint 2010 and use normal windows/
Access clients on each user's PC. I am not trying to take about the
new web forms and reports which run in a browser."

Which was further expressed again:

"There are a few subthreads of this overall thread. My original object
was and is to pursue using Access 2010 as a rich client front end to
data that is stored/hosted in Sharepoint."

This was in response to my first posting in this thread. Again, I really
would like to stress, this thread. So as far as I can see David, it is you
who are out of line with your attacks on me and perhaps should apologize. Is
it possible that during this discussion I have stated something that is
incorrect? Perhaps, but then isn't that the purpose of these forums? To
learn? Would you like me to point out the times, in this thread, you have
stated something that is incorrect? Did I call you a liar? No, you are
simply incorrect in your thinking.

If you want to talk about a split Access database, using Access 2010 and
SharePoint 2010, where the data still sits in Access but the front end
application is now in SharePoint, fine. I suggest you go and review the
video again.

http://blogs.msdn.com/access/archive/2009/12/02/the-access-show-managing-access-databases-with-sharepoint.aspx

When you split the database like this, the application part becomes a
SharePoint site, pointing to the data that still sits in your Access
database. No problem, this can be done with a number of data sources now
with SharePoint 2007. Let's not, however, confuse our terms here. There is a
difference between an Access application front end and a SharePoint Front
End server. I assume you are quite familiar with the first, since you are an
Access person. The SharePoint Front End server is the web access point where
users connect to a SharePoint farm. The WFE responds to users requests for
information by building pages and sending that data to the clients browser.
These pages are made up of many components, not a discussion for this
thread, but the elements of which can be pulled from a number of locations.

When you publish the Access front end application, those elements are turned
into a SharePoint site with the corresponding required lists, forms,
workflows etc. The source data, yes, still resides in your backend database,
be it Access or SQL if you moved it there. None the less, these lists etc,
that now make up your front end for the app, are SharePoint. SharePoint
sites live in content databases, on SQL. The lists are tables in this
content database, that has not changed, even in the new world of 2010.

If this is not the case, I welcome Albert, or anyone, educating me on how
this now works differently. I'm not offended by this, I enjoy learning.

From: David W. Fenton on

> Ok, I'll try and make this as civil as I can. I have indeed gone
> through this entire thread,

It does not appear to me that you have done that at all. As outlined
below, I've followed the direct lineage of your own post to which
I'm replying here, and the References line demonstrates quite
clearly that the topic was pretty clearly front-end distribution
from the SECOND post in the References line of YOUR OWN POST.

> and only this thread as it is the only
> one I have been posting in or are concerned with. I have also
> watched, again, the relevant posted video that was pointed out by
> Albert, in his response to Bob, early on in this thread to see if
> I perhaps misunderstood its content.

You are, apparently, not actually examining the content of the
discussion with a proper newsreader that threads posts based on the
References line. If you had, you wouldn't be making the claims that
you are making, as the content of the posts in the References header
of your own post contradict what you're saying.

> In going over the contents of
> all this, the only one who is out of line here David is you. At no
> time have I called Albert a liar,

I didn't say you called him a liar. I said you have contradicted his
assertions, and that you're either saying that he's mistaken (i.e.,
a liar) or you are yourself mistaken.

> I would love for you to point
> out where in this thread I have done so.

Specifically:

"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in

[this is a quotation from your MessageID:
<en4uXxQeKHA.5608(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>)]
>> You can't use VBA when creating an Access database that you are
>> going to push up to SharePoint. VBA, Action Queries and
>> traditional Access macros are not supported by Access Services.
>
> Not for web publication, but for distribution, it's still
> possible. Albert makes this distinction explicitly in his
> discussions about web vs. client forms.
>
> You're basically calling Albert a liar. I don't know who the hell
> you are are, but I know Albert, and I believe him and not you.

That was a direct response to a claim of yours that I said
contradicts what Albert has said. Is Albert correct or are you? If
Albert is, then you owe him an apology.

> Also, you have stated:
>
> "If so, it's still completely irrelevant, since we weren't talking
> about data storage."
>
> I would like to bring to your attention this from the original
> post of this thread.
>
> "Again my interest is data on sharepoint 2010 and use normal
> windows/ Access clients on each user's PC. I am not trying to
> take about the new web forms and reports which run in a browser."

And if you look at Albert's first reply to that (MessageID:
<qoHSm.49392$ky1.44754(a)newsfe14.iad>) you'll see that his first line
is:

> You even use SharePoint to pull down an application that is split.

And he follows that with:

> In other words, the data can reside on a backend accDB file
> sitting on a server, and the front end pulled down from
> SharePoint (but, this case, this means you suing a spit
> system, and that is NOT appropriate for wireless or a wan).

If you then follow the MessageIDs in the References to your own
post, next comes a reply from Bob Alston
(<1JHSm.38493$cX4.19748(a)newsfe10.iad>), and then a reply from Albert
(<uAAQFBkdKHA.5136(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>), both of which are quite
clearly discussing the scenario of using Sharepoint to distribute
a front end that is linked to a local ACCDB back end.

Then I replied to Albert (MessageID:
<Xns9CD9A9BF68F92f99a49ed1d0c49c5bbb2(a)74.209.136.99>):

> Albert, can you look at my other post, replying to Bob, asking
> about version control issues with synchronizing a published app?

At this point, is there any doubt what we are talking about?

These posts are directly in the lineage of the post to which I am
now replying, i.e., the part of the thread where you interjected
this (MessageID: <OtUQ35FeKHA.4880(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>):

> Ok, I'll admit that I've been trying to follow a bit of this
> discussion and I'm completely lost here as to what you are trying
> to do.

....and then went off on an unrelated discussion, contradicting what
Albert had been outlining:

> A SharePoint Front End server is simply the access point that a
> user connects to to then get at whatever data you are trying to
> make available. The front ends don't sync to anything, they pull
> data from a backend SQL server.

This is wrong. Simply wrong, which is why I asked you to explain
your contradiction of Albert.

[]

> This was in response to my first posting in this thread. Again, I
> really would like to stress, this thread. So as far as I can see
> David, it is you who are out of line with your attacks on me and
> perhaps should apologize.

Follow the MessageIDs and explain to me how I have incorrectly
described the content of the particular messages to which you have
replied, which are clearly in a lineage that was discussion
front-end distribution via Sharepoint, something that you deny is
possible.

> Is it possible that during this
> discussion I have stated something that is incorrect? Perhaps, but
> then isn't that the purpose of these forums? To learn? Would you
> like me to point out the times, in this thread, you have stated
> something that is incorrect? Did I call you a liar? No, you are
> simply incorrect in your thinking.

far, or have done so in a completely haphazard way that doesn't
represent the actual order of the replies involved.

> If you want to talk about a split Access database, using Access
> 2010 and SharePoint 2010, where the data still sits in Access but
> the front end application is now in SharePoint, fine. I suggest
> you go and review the video again.

Bob Alston and I have discussing that topic IN THIS VERY THREAD. And
you pop in denying that it can be done.

> http://blogs.msdn.com/access/archive/2009/12/02/the-access-show-man
> aging-access-databases-with-sharepoint.aspx
>
> When you split the database like this, the application part
> becomes a SharePoint site, pointing to the data that still sits in
> your Access database.

You are going off on the tangent again, ignoring what Albert has
been talking about.

[tangential content omitted, as it just perpetuates your fundamental
misunderstanding of the topic of the thread and your apparent
failure to actually read Albert's posts in the thread that discuss
what you claim is impossible]

> If this is not the case, I welcome Albert, or anyone, educating me
> on how this now works differently. I'm not offended by this, I
> enjoy learning.

Just read the thread. It's all there.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/