From: Karl E. Peterson on
Earl Partridge wrote:
> OK, done that, VB6 installed, but maybe not completely. Trying to run one
> of my projects from VB4, it can not find file dbgrid32.ocx. I did get a
> response while installing that it could not register
> msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/register/vb6.asp.

I'm not sure what to make of that.

> And, clicking Help, does not open help files. It appears the msdn are the
> help files and I have not been able to find them. Where are they?

MSDN is one of the optional components it asks if you want to install
after it's finished installing most of the other things that you chose.
If I recall correctly, it comes on three separate CDs, which you have
to shuffle in and out.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: ralph on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:23:10 -0500, "Earl Partridge"
<earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote:

>OK, done that, VB6 installed, but maybe not completely. Trying to run one
>of my projects from VB4, it can not find file dbgrid32.ocx.

What's the exact error number and description, and what O/S are you
installing on?

[I shouldn't be guessing without more info - but since I've never let
not knowing all the facts stop me from rendering an opinion... Here
are the two most likely reasons...]

You can check and make sure the control/file is present, but the first
and most likely problem is an older VB4 component is missing.

For most COM components the solution is to change the reference in the
older project (VB4) to point to the newer installed component.

Unfortunately this is more complicated with controls. Since if a
control is not found, VB will replace the <space> with a PictureBox.
You are then expect to go back and manually replace the PictureBox
placeholders with the new control.

[If you have a lot of needed replacements. It is easier to to edit the
project files. More details if you need it, but basically you create a
separate VB6 Project, put a dbgrid32 control on it. Then exit and look
at its identify in the Form file. Copy and use that string for find 'n
replacement in your converted VB4 project files.]

This is normal behavior for VB whenever it is converting an older
version to a newer one. Normally this isn't a problem since each
version came with controls for the previous version. eg, VB6 comes
with both VB5 and VB6 controls. But older VB4 controls are not
included with VB6. I only mention this as it is likely to come up
again.

It might not be that dbgrid32 is missing, but that the data access
components it depends on are missing, mismatched, or not registered.
But first get your install complete, and supply more information
before we go down that road. <g>

-ralph
From: Paul Clement on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:23:10 -0500, "Earl Partridge" <earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote:

� OK, done that, VB6 installed, but maybe not completely. Trying to run one
� of my projects from VB4, it can not find file dbgrid32.ocx. I did get a
� response
� while installing that it could not register
� msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/register/vb6.asp.
� And, clicking Help, does not open help files. It appears the msdn are the
� help files
� and I have not been able to find them. Where are they?
� Earl

DBGrid32.OCX was replaced by MSDATGRD.OCX in VB 6.0, however; if I remember correctly DBGrid32.OCX
and some other older components were not installed/registered.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/194784

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Earl Partridge on
Before getting deeper, let me add this info...
The error has no number... It states: 'c:\foldername\dbgrid32.ocx' could
not be loaded... Continue loading project?

I respond Yes to continue, and things work as expected.
I'm on Windows 7 - 64bit running a newly installed VB6, and the project
is from a VB4 (Windows XP) machine.

The folder name specifies a folder which contains a text file of names and
dates (a birthday listing), name separated from date with a comma, dates
use a forward slash to separate month/day/year.
And everything seems to work, the name and date are displayed properly
when the file is read.

I'm just a hobby-type Basic type guy, just tinkering with some older
programs
to make some minor changes. I guess if I could just bypass that error
response,
I'd be happy.

Earl

From: ralph on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:32:46 -0500, "Earl Partridge"
<earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote:

>Before getting deeper, let me add this info...
>The error has no number... It states: 'c:\foldername\dbgrid32.ocx' could
>not be loaded... Continue loading project?
>
>I respond Yes to continue, and things work as expected.
>I'm on Windows 7 - 64bit running a newly installed VB6, and the project
>is from a VB4 (Windows XP) machine.

lol

Turns out to be Door #3.

You have an attribute/property setting (possibly in code) that needs
repairing.

All will come out in the wash.

-ralph