From: Earl Partridge on
I ordered the $295 upgrade job, and with my VB4 I believe I qualify for
the upgrade. So, it's a hobby, us retired folks got to have something to
keep us busy, never any vacation or holidays.
Earl

From: Earl Partridge on
But VB4 won't work with Windows 7... right? At least my Windows 7 (64 bit)
wouldn't let me load it.
Earl

From: Mike Williams on

> I ordered the $295 upgrade job . . . So, it's a hobby, us
> retired folks got to have something to keep us busy,
> never any vacation or holidays.

I'll second that! Personally I will spend any amount of money on a hobby
that I really enjoy, as long as none of it gets back to Micro$oft ;-) In
your case Micro$oft have clearly already had the money for the product you
are purchasing, so that wouldn't be a problem ;-)

Mike

From: Mike Williams on

> But VB4 won't work with Windows 7... right? At least
> my Windows 7 (64 bit) wouldn't let me load it.

I know that VB4 32 bit will run in Vista, although you've got to right click
the installer and select "run as admin" and I think there is also a dll that
you need to manually register. I'm not sure about Win7 though (although you
should be able to run it in a virtual machine if it doesn't install on Win7
itself). In any case, you're probably better off with VB6. Regarding the
upgrade copy you've just ordered, did you actually check whether VB4
qualifies for the upgrade, and the mechanics of doing it using just your VB4
key if it is not installed on Win7? It's probably okay, and personally I've
never used an upgrade copy so I simply don't know the details, but I'm just
wondering if you checked those things? Otherwise, if you have serious
problems with it then post again . . . somebody might just have an
alternative solution ;-) As far as the law is concerned I don't worry too
much about software licences. The way I look at it, if the software supplier
has almost no legal responsibilities regarding whether or not his software
works properly (as is the case) then I don't see why I should worry about my
so-called legal responsibilities to them. If consumer rights law regarding
software ever does move into the 21st Century (or even into the 20th
Century!) and if it ever does catch up with consumer rights laws regarding
tangible goods, then I might change my mind on that point ;-)

Mike

From: ralph on
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 10:06:06 -0000, "Mike Williams"
<Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"Earl Partridge" <earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote in message
>
>> But VB4 won't work with Windows 7... right? At least
>> my Windows 7 (64 bit) wouldn't let me load it.
>
>I know that VB4 32 bit will run in Vista, although you've got to right click
>the installer and select "run as admin" and I think there is also a dll that
>you need to manually register. I'm not sure about Win7 though (although you
>should be able to run it in a virtual machine if it doesn't install on Win7
>itself). In any case, you're probably better off with VB6. Regarding the
>upgrade copy you've just ordered, did you actually check whether VB4
>qualifies for the upgrade, and the mechanics of doing it using just your VB4
>key if it is not installed on Win7? It's probably okay, and personally I've
>never used an upgrade copy so I simply don't know the details, but I'm just
>wondering if you checked those things? Otherwise, if you have serious
>problems with it then post again . . . somebody might just have an
>alternative solution ;-) As far as the law is concerned I don't worry too
>much about software licences. The way I look at it, if the software supplier
>has almost no legal responsibilities regarding whether or not his software
>works properly (as is the case) then I don't see why I should worry about my
>so-called legal responsibilities to them. If consumer rights law regarding
>software ever does move into the 21st Century (or even into the 20th
>Century!) and if it ever does catch up with consumer rights laws regarding
>tangible goods, then I might change my mind on that point ;-)
>
>Mike

AFAIK the upgrade simply checks for a file and a Registry Entry/s.
Don't remember it ever asking for a CD/Disc.
If the OP saved his old VB4 "Microsoft VB" folder, he can copy that
over to Windows 7 to handle the "file".

He might want to consider downloading the utilities from SysInternals.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx
Use it to determine what the upgrade is looking for, should he run
into any problems.

And he will likely need the SP6 service pack.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9EF9BF70-DFE1-42A1-A4C8-39718C7E381D&displaylang=en

-ralph