From: Paul Clement on
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:06:08 -0500, "Earl Partridge" <earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote:

� I ordered the $295 upgrade job, and with my VB4 I believe I qualify for
� the upgrade. So, it's a hobby, us retired folks got to have something to
� keep us busy, never any vacation or holidays.
� Earl

Yes, VB 4.0 qualifies for this particular upgrade although I don't know whether
the setup will check for the presence of the software on your system.

There were also non Microsoft products, such as Delphi 2.0, which qualify for
the competitive upgrade.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Webbiz on
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 10:06:06 -0000, "Mike Williams"
<Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"Earl Partridge" <earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote in message
>
>> But VB4 won't work with Windows 7... right? At least
>> my Windows 7 (64 bit) wouldn't let me load it.
>
>I know that VB4 32 bit will run in Vista, although you've got to right click
>the installer and select "run as admin" and I think there is also a dll that
>you need to manually register. I'm not sure about Win7 though (although you
>should be able to run it in a virtual machine if it doesn't install on Win7
>itself). In any case, you're probably better off with VB6. Regarding the
>upgrade copy you've just ordered, did you actually check whether VB4
>qualifies for the upgrade, and the mechanics of doing it using just your VB4
>key if it is not installed on Win7? It's probably okay, and personally I've
>never used an upgrade copy so I simply don't know the details, but I'm just
>wondering if you checked those things? Otherwise, if you have serious
>problems with it then post again . . . somebody might just have an
>alternative solution ;-) As far as the law is concerned I don't worry too
>much about software licences. The way I look at it, if the software supplier
>has almost no legal responsibilities regarding whether or not his software
>works properly (as is the case) then I don't see why I should worry about my
>so-called legal responsibilities to them. If consumer rights law regarding
>software ever does move into the 21st Century (or even into the 20th
>Century!) and if it ever does catch up with consumer rights laws regarding
>tangible goods, then I might change my mind on that point ;-)
>
>Mike

You make what sounds like a valid point.

If the software producer washes their hands of the software and does
not sell or support it any longer, then basically it's 'finders
keepers'. How would getting a copy be taking money out of their
pocket? Sounds like it wouldn't. Besides, those who DID pay for it
(like most of us) are now left with a "you're on your own bucko"
scenario.

Webbiz
From: Paul Clement on
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:20:28 -0600, Webbiz <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote:

� You make what sounds like a valid point.

� If the software producer washes their hands of the software and does
� not sell or support it any longer, then basically it's 'finders
� keepers'. How would getting a copy be taking money out of their
� pocket? Sounds like it wouldn't. Besides, those who DID pay for it
� (like most of us) are now left with a "you're on your own bucko"
� scenario.

� Webbiz

I've heard this rationalization quite a bit but it's still copyright
infringement. That is, unless the vendor revokes the copyright and releases it
into the public domain.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Dee Earley on
On 05/03/2010 21:17, C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Shotgun Thom"<tmoran4511(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:ba572637-d8fc-454a-a84c-ad21f6759e04(a)33g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...
> On Mar 5, 1:23 pm, "Earl Partridge"<ea...(a)pearnet.com> wrote:
>
> Ebay is a good source... but full working Professional Version is not
> cheap. Stay away from Learning or Academic Versions. Be careful of
> illegal copies.
>
> Price for valid version usually starts with a bid of around $250.00
> and I've seen them go as high as $600 to $800.
> ===================
> To hell with that.
>
> Torrents are your friends.

So, that'd be stealing...

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Dee Earley on
On 06/03/2010 10:06, Mike Williams wrote:
> As far as the law is concerned I don't worry too much about software
> licences. The way I look at it, if the software supplier has almost no
> legal responsibilities regarding whether or not his software works
> properly (as is the case) then I don't see why I should worry about my
> so-called legal responsibilities to them. If consumer rights law
> regarding software ever does move into the 21st Century (or even into
> the 20th Century!) and if it ever does catch up with consumer rights
> laws regarding tangible goods, then I might change my mind on that point
> ;-)

I do hope you don't write software commercially.
I do, and if people steal our software, I don't get paid.
Simple as that.