From: Mike Williams on
"Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message

> I do hope you don't write software commercially.
> I do, and if people steal our software, I don't get
> paid. Simple as that.

I do hope the software on the disk you have purchased actually works as you
expect it to, and that the person who sold it to you returns your money if
it does not, because your consumer rights in law regarding software, if they
are anything at all like they are here in the UK, are almost non existent.
As far as I am concerned, at least until consumer law regarding software
catches up with consumer law regarding tangible goods, I shall ignore any
software licence that does not place as many legal obligations on the
provider of the software as it does on the purchaser.

Mike

From: Paul Clement on
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:44:12 -0000, "Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

� > I do hope you don't write software commercially.
� > I do, and if people steal our software, I don't get
� > paid. Simple as that.

� I do hope the software on the disk you have purchased actually works as you
� expect it to, and that the person who sold it to you returns your money if
� it does not, because your consumer rights in law regarding software, if they
� are anything at all like they are here in the UK, are almost non existent.
� As far as I am concerned, at least until consumer law regarding software
� catches up with consumer law regarding tangible goods, I shall ignore any
� software licence that does not place as many legal obligations on the
� provider of the software as it does on the purchaser.

� Mike

Which makes for an easy decision. If you purchase a consumer good and it doesn't work, then you
return it. If you install a software product and it doesn't work, then you uninstall it (and return
it if necessary).

Otherwise, usage of the software is an acceptance of the license and the legal obligations inferred.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: mayayana on

> Which makes for an easy decision. If you purchase a consumer good and it
doesn't work, then you
> return it. If you install a software product and it doesn't work, then you
uninstall it (and return
> it if necessary).
>
> Otherwise, usage of the software is an acceptance of the license and the
legal obligations inferred.

What was it we were discussing before? Intellectual
dishonesty? It must be luscious to think only in
black and white. You always know the truth -- no
cogitation required.

From: Saga on
>...cheap. Stay away from Learning or Academic Versions. Be careful of
>illegal copies.

Yes, beware of illegal copies!

Shotgun Tom, can you elaborate as to why you recommend staying
away from the Academic Edition? Thanks, Saga

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message news:%238lPtdrvKHA.3536(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
:
: So, that'd be stealing...
:

By legal definition, probably. But after everything MSFT has done to VB Classic devs, I doubt very highly they would give a damn. And if they did and actually attempted to pursue such a thing...well, I would welcome that, and I imagine a great number of VB6 enthusiasts who were spurned by MSFT would join that band wagon. MSFT would have a PR nightmare on their hands.

So a little giving back to the company who butt hurt one of it's biggest customer bases is the beginning of some well deserved payback.

Stealing...psh. Those chowderheads who attempt to sell old VB licenses for that kind of money have some balls. They're probably current or former MSFT employees attempting to cash in. <g>