From: Earl Partridge on
I haven't tinkered with VB for a while, the latest version I had/have is
VB4.
I have now upgraded to Windows 7 and looking for something that I can
manage without a lot of re-training. I downloaded VB Express. Is this a
totally
free version or is it a Trial version?

I only have a couple programs from VB4 that I want to convert, just for my
hobby tinkering.

Earl

From: Bob Butler on

"Earl Partridge" <earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote in message
>I haven't tinkered with VB for a while, the latest version I had/have is
>VB4.
> I have now upgraded to Windows 7 and looking for something that I can
> manage without a lot of re-training. I downloaded VB Express. Is this a
> totally
> free version or is it a Trial version?
>
> I only have a couple programs from VB4 that I want to convert, just for
> my
> hobby tinkering.

If you downloaded "VB Express" from MS then that's VB.Net and is a very
different language. MS ended the VB line with VB 6.0 and replaced it with a
psuedo-VB that has very little in common with the old VB except for some
superficial keywords.

If you want to continue with what you downloaded you should ask in a
newsgroup with "dotnet" in the name as questions and answers about VB and
VB.net are incompatible.

From: ralph on
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 21:09:11 -0500, "Earl Partridge"
<earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote:

>I haven't tinkered with VB for a while, the latest version I had/have is
>VB4.
>I have now upgraded to Windows 7 and looking for something that I can
>manage without a lot of re-training. I downloaded VB Express. Is this a
>totally
>free version or is it a Trial version?
>
>I only have a couple programs from VB4 that I want to convert, just for my
>hobby tinkering.
>
>Earl

'VB Express' is based on the newer .Net Framework platform, and is a
totally different model of application development than VB.

The "Visual Basic" .Net programming language (VB.Net) used is
grammatically simlar to the language used in VB, but is sematically
very different. The real challenge of learning .Net will be learning
the Framework itself.

No matter how you look at it you will need to "re-train". VB.Net does
often the advantage of appearing similar, is case-insenitive, and has
fewer 'strange' new punctuation (";,{,}, etc).

Buying an upgrade of VB, even though long discontinued is still a bit
pricey, and since you just want to tinker - migrating to .Net Express
version isn't a bad decision.

The .Net Express versions are free, but are not trial verisons. They
are stripped down, reduced featured versions. They are good enough for
many small projects, but if you get into any serious programming you
will want a fuller featured version - which of course is exactly why
MS is giving it away for free.

For the future, this newsgroup is populated by and for users of the
original VB product. If you have any more questions concerning VB.Net
or the .Net Framework products you should post them to newsgroups
where those users hang out. They will have either ".dotnet." or
".vsnet." in the title.

hth
-ralph

From: Paul Clement on
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 21:09:11 -0500, "Earl Partridge" <earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote:

� I haven't tinkered with VB for a while, the latest version I had/have is
� VB4.
� I have now upgraded to Windows 7 and looking for something that I can
� manage without a lot of re-training. I downloaded VB Express. Is this a
� totally
� free version or is it a Trial version?

� I only have a couple programs from VB4 that I want to convert, just for my
� hobby tinkering.

� Earl

It's a free version. Most of the limitations in the Express Edition are with the IDE and not the
language.

I have't attempted to convert VB 4.0 applications directly so I don't know whether it's supported by
the project migration wizard (which was written for VB 6.0 projects). It's more likely that you will
have to copy and paste code into the add-in (Tools...Upgrade Visual Basic 6 Code).

In any event, you will have plenty to tinker with and the upgrade is well worth the effort once
you're comfortable with the new environment.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: DanS on
"Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote in

> "Earl Partridge" <earlp(a)pearnet.com> wrote in message
>>I haven't tinkered with VB for a while, the latest version I had/have
>>is VB4.
>> I have now upgraded to Windows 7 and looking for something that I can
>> manage without a lot of re-training. I downloaded VB Express. Is
>> this a totally
>> free version or is it a Trial version?
>>
>> I only have a couple programs from VB4 that I want to convert, just
>> for my
>> hobby tinkering.
>
> If you downloaded "VB Express" from MS then that's VB.Net and is a
> very different language. MS ended the VB line with VB 6.0 and
> replaced it with a psuedo-VB that has very little in common with the
> old VB except for some superficial keywords.

(Everything I just wrote deleted.)