From: Karl E. Peterson on
Paul Lambert <paul.lambert(a)autoledgers.com.au> wrote:
> MikeD wrote:
>
>> This has to do with the driver you're using. Remember, VB6 came out in
>> 1998, before wheels on mice were common. Therefore, VB doesn't natively
>> support a wheel. For the wheel to work in VB, the driver and related mouse
>> software needs to provide this functionality. For example, I'm partial to
>> Logitech mice. Their MouseWare software provides this functionality in apps
>> that don't natively support wheel functionality. Check the web site of your
>> mouse manufucture for specific Vista drivers and software that may provide
>> this functionality to legacy apps. But....don't get your hopes up. Any
>> hardware older than just a couple years probably isn't going to have
>> official support under Vista.
> [snip]
>
> I'm using a brand new microsoft notebook optical mouse 3000 that I
> purchased around two weeks ago, I have the latest driver.
>
> forgive me if I read this incorrectly, but are you telling me microsoft
> don't have a properly functioning wheel mouse driver under vista for
> their own hardware?

It's a long story. The short version is, *older* Intellipoint drivers had extra
support built in for applications that didn't recognize WM_MOUSEWHEEL messages.
They would translate these to WM_VSCROLL instead. I believe it was around v5.0 that
Microsoft dropped support for this, claiming that application developers had had
adequate time to upgrade their apps to support the newer hardware. Of course, as is
frequently the case, this "didn't apply" to them, as many of their apps didn't
support WM_MOUSEWHEEL, and they've never gone back to add this functionality. In
the case of the VB/VBA editors, which share the same source, they say those who
wrote it left long ago and no one is brave enough (or cares enough) to crack it open
again. That's a lie, of course, as they did indeed update the VBA editor in Office
2007. They had really hoped it to be long forgotten by now.
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Kevin Provance <casey(a)tpasoft.com> wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)mvps.org> wrote...
>> Kevin Provance <casey(a)tpasoft.com> wrote:
>>> You got VBScroll to work under Vista? Mine doesn't. :(
>>
>> Honestly, I haven't tried. That's not good to hear. Have you tried Wheeler?
>>
>> Wheeler - Mouse Wheel Enhancer
>> http://www.eluent.com/wheeler.htm
>
> No...but I will. I'll let you know how it goes.

Just tried it. Works great. Still(!) highly recommended. :-)
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Kevin Provance on
| I'm using a brand new microsoft notebook optical mouse 3000 that I
| purchased around two weeks ago, I have the latest driver.

Those things are damned awesome, aren't they? <g>