From: MM on
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:45:12 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>MM wrote:
>>> AnyProc Controls(.Name)
>>
>> Ah, I tried everything else, but not that!
>
>Will that work with a control array member?
>
>> Don't you think a ".Self" property would have been useful? Like Me.
>
>I think This would have been a good way to refer to whatever With is
>refering to. That way, it's not an extension of the object itself.

Yeah, I like it!

AnyProc .This

That looks really cool.

MM
From: MM on
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:48:41 -0500, "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Ah, I tried everything else, but not that!
>>
>> Don't you think a ".Self" property would have been useful? Like Me.
>
>Man, that would be too much OOP! :-)

Don't worry! I can take it in small doses, like cod liver oil.

>Personally I don't use With, it makes it harder to find variables such as
>"MyUDT.var1".

Looks really neat, though. I can't recall having a problem finding
stuff later. If need be I fire up WinGrep on the raw text files (.frm,
..bas etc)

MM
From: MM on
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 21:46:59 +0100, "Helmut Meukel"
<NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Suppose I have:
>>
>> Sub AnyProc (cbo as ComboBox)
>> MsgBox cbo.Name
>> End Sub
>>
>> With Combo1
>> AnyProc ?
>> End With
>>
>> How can I refer to the object itself to pass to AnyProc? What I need
>> is a .Self property!
>>
>> MM
>
>Hmm,
>
>I think it can be done. I wouldn't do this in my own code, but...
>How about:
> Sub AnyProc (ctl as Control)
> MsgBox ctl.Name
> End Sub
>
> With Combo1
> .SetFocus
> AnyProc me.ActiveControl
> End With

No, no! I may not want it to have focus right then!

>I would rather write the control's name in my code,
>but the above will do the trick.
>However setting the focus to another control might irritate
>the user,

Indeed.

MM
From: Karl E. Peterson on
MM wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:45:12 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:

>>> Ah, I tried everything else, but not that!
>>
>> Will that work with a control array member?
>>
>>> Don't you think a ".Self" property would have been useful? Like Me.
>>
>> I think This would have been a good way to refer to whatever With is
>> refering to. That way, it's not an extension of the object itself.
>
> Yeah, I like it!
>
> AnyProc .This
>
> That looks really cool.

Ditch the leading dot. This would be like Me, but it would refer to
one of two things. Within a With block, to whatever object has
currency. Or, outside a With block, but within an Event procedure, to
the object that's raising the event. How's that sound? So, in your
case, you could do:

With Combo1
AnyProc This
End With

Or, ...

Private Sub Combo1_Change()
AnyProc This
End Sub

Makes too much sense, I suppose. At least to me. I'm sure someone can
pick holes in it?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: MM on
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 16:48:41 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>MM wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:45:12 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Will that work with a control array member?

>>> I think This would have been a good way to refer to whatever With is
>>> refering to. That way, it's not an extension of the object itself.
>>
>> Yeah, I like it!
>>
>> AnyProc .This
>>
>> That looks really cool.
>
>Ditch the leading dot. This would be like Me, but it would refer to
>one of two things. Within a With block, to whatever object has
>currency. Or, outside a With block, but within an Event procedure, to
>the object that's raising the event. How's that sound?

Yeah, I'd accept that. However, MS won't be implementing it any time
soon. In fact, never.

> So, in your
>case, you could do:
>
> With Combo1
> AnyProc This
> End With
>
>Or, ...
>
> Private Sub Combo1_Change()
> AnyProc This
> End Sub
>
>Makes too much sense, I suppose. At least to me. I'm sure someone can
>pick holes in it?

Well, I suppose if I were feeling magnanimous towards Microsoft - not
a tendency I fall into very often - I would argue that With/End With
came along later.

MM
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9