From: Dee Earley on
On 02/03/2010 20:37, MM wrote:
> Don't you think a ".Self" property would have been useful? Like Me.

In the vast majority of cases, you already have a reference to be able
to call .self on it :)
This is the one (very rare) situation where you don't

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: ralph on
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 16:48:41 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>MM wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:45:12 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Will that work with a control array member?

>>> I think This would have been a good way to refer to whatever With is
>>> refering to. That way, it's not an extension of the object itself.
>>
>> Yeah, I like it!
>>
>> AnyProc .This
>>
>> That looks really cool.
>
>Ditch the leading dot. This would be like Me, but it would refer to
>one of two things. Within a With block, to whatever object has
>currency. Or, outside a With block, but within an Event procedure, to
>the object that's raising the event. How's that sound? So, in your
>case, you could do:
>
> With Combo1
> AnyProc This
> End With
>
>Or, ...
>
> Private Sub Combo1_Change()
> AnyProc This
> End Sub
>
>Makes too much sense, I suppose. At least to me. I'm sure someone can
>pick holes in it?

The With...End construct is provided only to simplify typing, but
having a simple reference to whatever object is being chewed on within
a With...End block would have been nice.

It is less of an issue with ...
With Combo1
AnyProc Combo1
End With
or even with ...
With oJunk.Fields.Attributes
AnyProc oJunk.Fields.Attributes
End With
as one can simply cut 'n paste whatever follows the "With".

But if using this handy construct it is more of an issue...
With New CJunk
AnyProc <????>
End With

-ralph
From: Dave O. on

"ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> wrote in message

> The With...End construct is provided only to simplify typing,

All together now: "Oh no it's not!"

The With/End With only makes a single call to the COM, without the With
there would be a call for every item that is replaced by the use of With/End
With. There are some other subtle effects but they are not really important.

Dave O.

From: Henning on

"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> skrev i meddelandet
> Suppose I have:
>
> Sub AnyProc (cbo as ComboBox)
> MsgBox cbo.Name
> End Sub
>
> With Combo1
> AnyProc ?
> End With
>
> How can I refer to the object itself to pass to AnyProc? What I need
> is a .Self property!
>
> MM

Sorry, but I can't see why using With/End With to call AnyProc Combo1?
Setting parameters is nice inside the With/End with, but the call should IMO
be outside. With/End With has a certain functionality, we can't change that.
;)

/Henning

From: MM on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:54:06 -0000, "Dave O." <nobody(a)nowhere.com>
wrote:

>"ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> wrote in message
>
>> The With...End construct is provided only to simplify typing,
>
>All together now: "Oh no it's not!"
>
>The With/End With only makes a single call to the COM, without the With
>there would be a call for every item that is replaced by the use of With/End
>With. There are some other subtle effects but they are not really important.

I've never actually noticed any improvement in performance, though, by
using With/End With. I just think it makes the code more readable and
looks neater.

MM
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9