From: MM on
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:03:05 -0600, ralph <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net>
wrote:

>Also they explained how "Wend" made it as a keyword instead of "End
>While" or "While End". They really didn't want to add yet another
>keyword, but the alternatives just seemed *ugly* so around midnight -
>"Wend" it was.

Anyone remember the Zilog compiler? You used the word in reverse to
terminate, e.g.

IF blah-blah

FI

So taking it further we would have had While / Elihw, For / Txen

I'm always amazed, in the case of those Zilog guys, how they managed
to evade the other men in white coats for so long.

MM
From: David Kerber on
In article <9qj1p55jir8bis2jf279v01psm23eqf3pa(a)4ax.com>,
kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk says...

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:03:05 -0600, ralph <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Also they explained how "Wend" made it as a keyword instead of "End
> >While" or "While End". They really didn't want to add yet another
> >keyword, but the alternatives just seemed *ugly* so around midnight -
> >"Wend" it was.
>
> Anyone remember the Zilog compiler? You used the word in reverse to
> terminate, e.g.
>
> IF blah-blah
>
> FI
>
> So taking it further we would have had While / Elihw, For / Txen

and case...esac. Just like Unix/Linux shell scripting does today.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
ralph wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 14:15:48 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>

>> And, not to go all "snopes" on you, but I was thinking it was Wend
>> because those early parsers didn't cope very well with multi-part
>> keywords? <g>
>
> I may be hallucinating. Don't think I am, but I'm seldom a good
> judge.

Well, there are such things as group hallucinations, and your story
definitely carries with it a whiff of plausibility and not a small
pinch of familiarity too! <g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org