From: Richard on

"Pavel A." <pavel_a(a)12fastmail34.fm> spake the secret code
<2A0B6242-4412-445D-A1F1-64CBB1251318(a)microsoft.com> thusly:

>You may find this article useful:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc265073.aspx

That link seems to show the content without context. Just for the
benefit of others, this is an excerpt from I.M. Wright's book
"Hard Code".

>By the way - "VC 8.0" is Visual Studio 2005 (compiler versions 14.*)
>VC 9.0 is Visual Studio 2008 (compiler versions 15.*)

And Visual Studio 2010 is almost out, so if you do end up switching to
a more modern Visual Studio, you might as well switch to that one.

From: Richard on

"Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> spake the secret code
<umIo9hT0KHA.4420(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> thusly:

>> Are you counting the time it takes to launch the IDE? Otherwise its
>> not a fair comparison.
>
>No, both the IDE and the cmd prompt are already lauched and ready
>to build.

This isn't an apples-to-apples comparison then because you've already
spent the time for the startup of the IDE and loading the solution.
Both of these things have to be done from the command-line.

>Besides, I don't see much of an initial delay at the cmd prompt when
>starting the build, so I guess loading devenv itself doesn't weigh much.

But loading the IDE to do a build *is* expensive and should be counted
if you're going to do comparisons.

>Yes, of course, but that's irrelevant to the point I was making. The
>vcproj file does _not_ contain (officially published) information about
>how the settings translate to the (well documented) compiler/linker
>switches.

And yet I feel this is a worthless point to make because it just
doesn't come up in practice. In the decade or more that I've been
using Visual Studio and automating builds with it, I've *never* needed
to know this and I push beyond the boundaries of what the average
developer does with Visual Studio, in my experience.

From: Liviu on
"Richard" <legalize+jeeves(a)mail.xmission.com> wrote...
> "Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> spake the secret code ... thusly:
>
>>> Are you counting the time it takes to launch the IDE? Otherwise its
>>> not a fair comparison.
>>
>> No, both the IDE and the cmd prompt are already lauched and ready
>> to build.
>
> This isn't an apples-to-apples comparison then because you've already
> spent the time for the startup of the IDE and loading the solution.

It was originally written as a [v6] apples to [v7+] apples comparison.

>> Yes, of course, but that's irrelevant to the point I was making.
>> The vcproj file does _not_ contain (officially published) information
>> about how the settings translate to the (well documented)
>> compiler/linker switches.
>
> And yet I feel this is a worthless point to make because it just
> doesn't come up in practice. In the decade or more that I've been
> using Visual Studio and automating builds with it, I've *never* needed
> to know this and I push beyond the boundaries of what the average
> developer does with Visual Studio, in my experience.

Your feeling is duly noted ;-) Just because you *never* needed it,
doesn't mean that *nobody* ever did or cared.

Liviu

From: Richard on

"Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> spake the secret code
<ePBoSuU0KHA.4832(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> thusly:

>Your feeling is duly noted ;-) Just because you *never* needed it,
>doesn't mean that *nobody* ever did or cared.

What do you need it for?

From: Liviu on
"Richard" <legalize+jeeves(a)mail.xmission.com> wrote...
> "Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> spake the secret code ... thusly:
>
>> Your feeling is duly noted ;-) Just because you *never* needed
>> it, doesn't mean that *nobody* ever did or cared.
>
> What do you need it for?

Curiosity, of course ;-) Well, sometimes more serious reasons, too.
An example at random, in the v7.1 IDE there was one setting for
"floating point consistency" with two choices. In the v8 IDE there
were two related options with more choices under a different tab.
Now suppose you had to convert an older project from v7.1 to v8,
had only v8 installed, wondered what the old options were before,
and how the "conversion wizard" magically mapped them. The old
vcproj alone doesn't tell you that. A makefile makes it obvious.

Liviu