From: verappan on
Dear friends,

I am a fresher in VC++ and I joined a new company where the
development environment is Visual Studio 6.0.
I asked to our team about upgrading 6.0 to 8.0 and I don't get a good
reponse for that.
The project manager told that there no much difference between 6.0 and
8.0.
Anybody please correct me on this, if this is wrong.
Because strongly believe that 12 yr old application and its upgraded
version contains definitly be huge change.

Also I got the information from other team members that, if the
application is developed in VC++ 6.0, then there will not be much
dependencies on the output EXE and no need to install .Net Runtime
environment to run the EXE.

Could anyone pleas provide here the advantages and disadvantages of VC+
+ 6.0 and VC++8.0.

Thanks and Regards
Vayand

From: Ulrich Eckhardt on
verappan wrote:
> I am a fresher in VC++ and I joined a new company where the
> development environment is Visual Studio 6.0.
> I asked to our team about upgrading 6.0 to 8.0 and I don't get a good
> reponse for that.
> The project manager told that there no much difference between 6.0 and
> 8.0.

That rings an alert bell. VC6 even predates the C++ standard and in many
aspects doesn't adhere to it. It's not supported by the vendor any longer,
too. I'd expect such a statement from someone who doesn't know much C++ and
for sure is not up to date with his or her knowledge of it.

> Also I got the information from other team members that, if the
> application is developed in VC++ 6.0, then there will not be much
> dependencies on the output EXE and no need to install .Net Runtime
> environment to run the EXE.

You also don't need a .Net runtime when developing with VC8, unless of
course you want to.

Uli

--
C++ FAQ: http://parashift.com/c++-faq-lite

Sator Laser GmbH
From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"verappan" <alvyn(a)gawab.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> The project manager told that there no much difference between 6.0 and
> 8.0.
> Anybody please correct me on this, if this is wrong.

That's wrong: there are several improvements in more modern versions (e.g.
more C++ standard compliance, better libraries, etc.)

> Also I got the information from other team members that, if the
> application is developed in VC++ 6.0, then there will not be much
> dependencies on the output EXE and no need to install .Net Runtime
> environment to run the EXE.

You can static-link the CRT or MFC libraries with your EXE in VC8 as well,
and so you will not have any dependecies on the output EXE.
And you can write a pure native C++ application in VC8 as well, so you don't
have dependencies on .NET runtime.

> Could anyone pleas provide here the advantages and disadvantages of VC+
> + 6.0 and VC++8.0.

VC++ 8 compiler is much better than VC++ 6 compiler if you want to do cross
platform C++ code, or if you use templates a lot.
I recall that VC6 has some problems with an advanced use of C++ templates.
Moreover, there were some bugs in STL implementation that came with VC6
(you'd better use STLport, or apply some patches from Dinkumware website);
STL implementation of VC8/9 is much better.

If you want to migrate your code base from VC6 to VC8 you will have some
cost, but after migration you could enjoy a better compiler and better
libraries.

If your app uses MFC, when you move from VC6 to VC8 you will miss great
ClassWizard. But note that VC6-style ClassWizard is back in VS2010!

Moreover, the latest Windows Platform SDK supported by VC6 is something from
February 2003. So, if you want to use the new cool features of Windows 7,
you must upgrade to a more modern version of the compiler.

Giovanni

From: Jochen Kalmbach [MVP] on
Hi verappan!

A small addition to the other postings:

- Applications build with VC6 will run on any OS, starting from Win95.
- Applications build with VC( will only run on W2k-SP4 and later.
- I would currently not recommend to upgrade to VC8, because of the
WinSxS hell (Side-by-Side problematic)
- I would upgrade to VS2010 on April, 12th
- VS2010 will use the "normal" DLL-Hell
- Hopefully the VS2010 IDE will have not too much bugs, because it is
mostly rewritten
- I would also upgrade to VS2010 because of the ClassWizard

--
Greetings
Jochen

My blog about Win32 and .NET
http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/
From: PvdG42 on

"verappan" <alvyn(a)gawab.com> wrote in message
> Dear friends,
>
> I am a fresher in VC++ and I joined a new company where the
> development environment is Visual Studio 6.0.
> I asked to our team about upgrading 6.0 to 8.0 and I don't get a good
> reponse for that.
> The project manager told that there no much difference between 6.0 and
> 8.0.
> Anybody please correct me on this, if this is wrong.
> Because strongly believe that 12 yr old application and its upgraded
> version contains definitly be huge change.
>
> Also I got the information from other team members that, if the
> application is developed in VC++ 6.0, then there will not be much
> dependencies on the output EXE and no need to install .Net Runtime
> environment to run the EXE.
>
> Could anyone pleas provide here the advantages and disadvantages of VC+
> + 6.0 and VC++8.0.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Vayand

Hello, Vayand.
First, I very much agree with the comments you've received so far. The new
compilers (8 and 9) are far superior to 6.
However, as you say you are new to this company using 6, consider tempering
your enthusiasm with a dose of common sense. In many work environments,
comments, questions and suggestions from "the new guy" are not well
received, even if valid and useful, by the incumbents. Taking it a bit slow
may it possible for you to effect change as an insider.

FWIW, I learned this lesson *many* years ago as a recent graduate on a new
job.