From: Symon on
On 2/13/2010 5:25 AM, whygee wrote:

> thanks for the off-topic anyway :-)
>
> yg

....and thank you for taking it in the spirit it was intended! :-)
All the best, Symon.

From: Paul on

> The RTL community's reluctance to adopt what it can
> from the software world is saddening and mystifying.
> I cannot think of even one serious attempt to raise
> the abstraction level of RTL design in the last
> 20 years that has been commercially successful.

But RTL generally is very different to software, because RTL has the
extra requirement that things have to happen at explicit times. I'm
not sure RTL could adopt much from the software world that would make
RTL quicker/easier.

I can't think of how OO methods would work for RTL coding. For
testbenches maybe. Although procedural testbenches are probably more
than adequate for the majority of cases.

Dynamic types of course are also no good for RTL, because signals/
variables are static. Dynamic languages could be used for testbenches
but then dynamic languages are slower, possibly not what you want for
testbenches. Although I guess the speed impact of a dynamic language
for testbenches would depend on the relative complexity of a testbench
to the RTL design.

Agile methods are probably out. Apparently they're good for quickly
changing code to accommodate quickly changing requirements. But
because RTL coding is harder than writing software (because of the
extra requirement that things have to happen happen at specific
times), quickly changing RTL code isn't really possible. And for FPGA
designs tying specs down to a reasonable level is a lot easier than
for software engineering, because an FPGA has at least well defined
requirements in what it has to drive on a circuit board. So just write
the specs right, or mostly right to start with, and you don't need
agile.

I can't think of how any recent software methods would help RTL. Maybe
I'm a stick-in-the-mud :-)

> By contrast, VHDL's limitations in the world of
> testbench writing are so severe that it's amazing
> it gained any traction at all in that space.

(1) vhdl is used for RTL so use the same language for testbenches,
and

(2) a lot of electronics engineers' requirements for test benches are
pretty simple, and so VHDL is mostly adequate; i.e. basic test-
benching, then debug on hardware, maybe also using something like
chipscope.

Writing good testbenches, especially self-checking ones, takes time.
And you have to debug the testbenches as well as the RTL. So if you
can debug the RTL in hardware, why spend a lot of time writing/
debugging testbenches?

The reason why I say 'suspect' above is because I don't really know,
but the majority of electronics engineers who design FPGAs that I've
come across whilst working as an electronics engineer, do the minimum
amount of testbenching, with self-cheking testbenches very thin on the
ground.

I'm supposing that full time ASIC/FPGA designers (rather than
electronics engineers who design hardware as well as designing FPGAs)
do put a lot of effort into writing good testbenches, but then they'll
probably be using SystemVerilog or something similar.

It would be interesting to see some statistics on debug methods
actually used in industry.

Of course you could say that if VHDL was easier to use for writing
testbenches more electronics engineers would be writing more
comprehensive testbenches, hmmm...

It would be nice if VHDL had a more flexible approach to creating/
controlling processes (or threads or tasks, whatever they might be
called). VHDL static processes are fine for RTL of course, but
essentially a bit crumby for testbenches. It will be interesting to
see what future vhdl standards throw up. I would like some process/
thread/task control in VHDL, much more than OO additions.

From: Michael S on
On Feb 13, 12:48 pm, Jonathan Bromley <jonathan.brom...(a)MYCOMPANY.com>
wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:25:13 +0100, whygee wrote:
>
> By contrast, VHDL's limitations in the world of
> testbench writing are so severe that it's amazing
> it gained any traction at all in that space.
>
> Jonathan Bromley

I am assuming the above was intended to read as "By contrast,
Verilog's limitations in the world of testbench writing are so severe
that it's amazing it gained any traction at all in that space."
Just a slip or Freudian Slip?
From: Symon on
On 2/13/2010 11:17 PM, Michael S wrote:
> On Feb 13, 12:48 pm, Jonathan Bromley<jonathan.brom...(a)MYCOMPANY.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:25:13 +0100, whygee wrote:
>>
>> By contrast, VHDL's limitations in the world of
>> testbench writing are so severe that it's amazing
>> it gained any traction at all in that space.
>>
>> Jonathan Bromley
>
> I am assuming the above was intended to read as "By contrast,
> Verilog's limitations in the world of testbench writing are so severe
> that it's amazing it gained any traction at all in that space."
> Just a slip or Freudian Slip?

OT, but couldn't resist.

A Freudian slip is when you say one thing, but mean amother.

HTH, Syms.
From: Symon on
On 2/13/2010 5:22 AM, KJ wrote:
> On Feb 12, 8:16 pm, Symon<symon_bre...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...to comp.lang.vhdl where you will find polite software people. Ask for
>> Jonathan, Mike and KJ. Tell them I sent you.
>>

> Ooooo...you read my posts and am on your recommended reading list
> now!!!
>
> KJ

I have do a lot of HDL in my job, and you guys really know your stuff. I
rarely have to post to ask, because a search reveals your considered
solutions!

Thanks!!

Syms.