From: Tim Hammerquist on
slunky <slunky(a)globalzero.org> wrote:
> _/ Tim Hammerquist wrote \_
>> Could you point me toward the section on that page that
>> discusses Vim executing Ruby commands? I can't seem to find
>> any mention of "+ruby" or "if_ruby", nor any samples of any
>> case where Vim is *executing* Ruby.
>
> I'm interested in that too. My editor of choice is vim, and
> I would love to use the built-in Ruby interpretor. I DO have
> it compiled in, I just don't know how to use it.

:help if_ruby

Tim Hammerquist
From: slunky on
_/ Tim Hammerquist wrote \_
>:help if_ruby

Thank you.

--
-slunky
From: Tim Hammerquist on
slunky <slunky(a)globalzero.org> wrote:
> _/ Tim Hammerquist wrote \_
> > :help if_ruby
>
> Thank you.

You're very welcome. :)

Cheers,
Tim Hammerquist
From: aidy on
Hi Tim,

> Could you point me toward the section on that page that discusses Vim executing Ruby commands?

At the top of the link (http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport),
we have this:

"If you install Vim 7.x, the following Ruby support is enabled out of
the box:

syntax highlighting for Ruby and eRuby
automatic, smart indenting for Ruby and eRuby
compiler plugins for running Ruby, eRuby and Test::Unit
IntelliSense-like autocompletion (Vim 7 only) "

As has been mentioned if we enter

':help ruby'

Then 'Ctrl ]' on the 'ruby-commands' tag we get:

':rub[y] {cmd} Execute Ruby command {cmd}'

This indicates to me that we could go:

':ruby puts "OK"'

But I receive 'command not available in this version.'

I think it may have something to do with the runtimepath. Has anyone
got Ruby working within VIM?

I was thinking of trying Emacs.

Aidy

From: Tim Hammerquist on
aidy <aidy.rutter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> > Could you point me toward the section on that page that
> > discusses Vim executing Ruby commands?
>
> At the top of the link
> (http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport), we have this:
>
> "If you install Vim 7.x, the following Ruby support is enabled
> out of the box:
>
> syntax highlighting for Ruby and eRuby
> automatic, smart indenting for Ruby and eRuby
> compiler plugins for running Ruby, eRuby and Test::Unit
> IntelliSense-like autocompletion (Vim 7 only) "

None of the above involves Vim executing Ruby code directly.
The most the above items do is invoke the ruby executable from
within Vim.

> As has been mentioned if we enter
>
> ':help ruby'
>
> Then 'Ctrl ]' on the 'ruby-commands' tag we get:
>
> ':rub[y] {cmd} Execute Ruby command {cmd}'
>
> This indicates to me that we could go:
>
> ':ruby puts "OK"'
>
> But I receive 'command not available in this version.'

The :ruby command requires +ruby support compiled in. Check
your :ver output and look for the '+ruby'. It needs to be
a '+'. If you see a '+dyn/ruby', you must also have
a compatible ruby library installed on your system. (I haven't
had much luck personally with dynamic language interface support
in Vim. YMMV.)

> I think it may have something to do with the runtimepath. Has
> anyone got Ruby working within VIM?

Yes. On 3 platforms. Both with binary download, and built
custom from source.

> I was thinking of trying Emacs.

Please do. You should always experiment with your choices
whenever possible. But why would you mention this in c.l.ruby?

Tim Hammerquist
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: gem + libxml
Next: Installing libxml-ruby on Windows: zlib