From: aidy on
Hi Tim

>> As has been mentioned if we enter
>> ':help ruby'
>> Then 'Ctrl ]' on the 'ruby-commands' tag we get:
>> ':rub[y] {cmd} Execute Ruby command {cmd}'
>> This indicates to me that we could go:
>> ':ruby puts "OK"'
>> But I receive 'command not available in this version.'

> The :ruby command requires +ruby support compiled in. Check
> your :ver output and look for the '+ruby'. It needs to be
> a '+'. If you see a '+dyn/ruby', you must also have
> a compatible ruby library installed on your system. (I haven't
> had much luck personally with dynamic language interface support
> in Vim. YMMV.)

Thanks for the command ':ver' I have a '-ruby'.

>> I was thinking of trying Emacs.

> Please do. You should always experiment with your choices
> whenever possible. But why would you mention this in c.l.ruby?

I understand that Emacs has a Ruby mode.

Cheers

Aidy

From: Tim Hammerquist on
aidy <aidy.rutter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I was thinking of trying Emacs.
> >
> > Please do. You should always experiment with
> > your choices whenever possible. But why would
> > you mention this in c.l.ruby?
>
> I understand that Emacs has a Ruby mode.

It does. Though, according to the rubygarden wiki,
the most recent ruby-mode.el is dated 2 years ago.

The vim-ruby project is still actively developed
and maintained. :)

Tim Hammerquist
From: aidy on
Hi Tim,

I am using the self-executable download
'ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim70.exe' and for some reason
gVim has '+ruby\dyn' while Vim has -ruby when I execute :ver.

Is it possible to use ruby in the console interface?

Aidy

From: Tim Hammerquist on
aidy <aidy.rutter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using the self-executable download
> 'ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim70.exe' and for some reason
> gVim has '+ruby\dyn' while Vim has -ruby when I execute :ver.
>
> Is it possible to use ruby in the console interface?

Unless you build your own or find a binary that has it enabled,
you're probably not going to be able to use the ruby interface
under Win32 console.

To build your own, you'd need the cygwin environment. This is
beyond the scope of this post, and this newsgroup.

Note that this doesn't prevent you from editing ruby in Vim.
You'll still have code completion, compiler support, syntax
highlighting, etc. Only in-process execution of Ruby code, and
the Ruby interface to the Vim features will be disabled.

Tim Hammerquist
From: xmlblog (Christian Romney) on
I cannot get omni-completion without +ruby. Vim will highlight Ruby
code just fine since this is all filetype plugin stuff, but to Ctrl+x,
Ctrl+o it tells me to compile with Ruby. On Tiger, I ran

../configure --with-mac-arch=ppc --with-features=huge
--enable-rubyinterp --enable-gui=no

but this doesn't seem to work for me with the Darnwin ports version of
Ruby 1.8.4. I tried this repeatedly for several hours trying all kinds
of make-fu (including editing the Makefile under the src directory
manually and adding all the Ruby conf options) and if memory serves me
correctly, my last problem was libreadline5.dynlib needed to be at
/usr/lib or something. Anyhow I gave up at this point, but ymmv. For
those looking to compile from source, get both the regular source
tarball and the extras tarball and unpack them both before running
configure. Vim's compilation step is slightly different than the
traditonal ./configure && make && sudo make install.

If you just want the out-of-the-box features just run make && sudo make
install. (Make will invoke configure for you). Hope this helps someone.
Hate to think those four hours went to waste.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: gem + libxml
Next: Installing libxml-ruby on Windows: zlib