From: aidy on
Hi,

I have installed the VIM 7 editor on Win32 and typed ':help ruby'. I
receive this message

'The Ruby interface only works when Vim was compiled with the |+ruby|
feature.'

I have looked on Ruby.org (http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org/) and I am
told that the Ruby configuration files should be pre-packed with VIM 7.

Not so sure what to do now. Any ideas?

Thanks

Aidy

From: projecktzero on
I think that the +ruby feature is only if you want to write VIM scripts
in Ruby. The Ruby syntax highlighting should still work when you edit
Ruby programs/scripts because the ruby.vim plug comes with VIM7.

From: aidy on
The highlighing and indentation are fine, but according to this:
(http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport), I should be able to
run any Ruby command through VIM via the ruby plugins.

I have also entered these parameters in the _vimrc file

set nocompatible " We're running Vim, not Vi!
syntax on " Enable syntax highlighting
filetype on " Enable filetype detection
filetype indent on " Enable filetype-specific indenting
filetype plugin on " Enable filetype-specific plugins

Cheers

Aidy

From: Tim Hammerquist on
aidy <aidy.rutter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The highlighing and indentation are fine, but according to this:
> (http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport), I should be able to
> run any Ruby command through VIM via the ruby plugins.
>
> I have also entered these parameters in the _vimrc file
>
> set nocompatible " We're running Vim, not Vi!
> syntax on " Enable syntax highlighting
> filetype on " Enable filetype detection
> filetype indent on " Enable filetype-specific indenting
> filetype plugin on " Enable filetype-specific plugins

Could you point me toward the section on that page that
discusses Vim executing Ruby commands? I can't seem to find any
mention of "+ruby" or "if_ruby", nor any samples of any case
where Vim is *executing* Ruby.

That page discusses files in the vim-ruby project, a collection
of Ruby-related vimfiles to aid in Ruby coding and development
and is unrelated to (though may be useful for) Vim's +ruby
feature.

Tim Hammerquist
From: slunky on
_/ Tim Hammerquist wrote \_
> Could you point me toward the section on that page that
> discusses Vim executing Ruby commands? I can't seem to find any
> mention of "+ruby" or "if_ruby", nor any samples of any case
> where Vim is *executing* Ruby.

I'm interested in that too. My editor of choice is vim, and I would love
to use the built-in Ruby interpretor. I DO have it compiled in, I just
don't know how to use it.

--
-slunky