From: Phillip Helbig---undress to reply on
In article <88haqaFkaoU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Steve Lionel
<steve.lionel(a)intel.invalid> writes:

> In a past life I was a developer of many of these LIB$ routines, so I'm
> very familiar with them.

My first big coding project was with the VAX FORTRAN (77) compiler on
VMS, back in the early 1990s. A really great compiler. I believe Steve
contributed quite a bit more to it than just the LIB$ routines.

I still use VMS at work, but alas no Fortran there. I write some
Fortran stuff at home, but am stuck at Fortran 95 on ALPHA. VMS on
Itanium is still going strong, and now older Itanium machines are
getting cheap enough for hobbyist use. I have enough ALPHA (and VAX)
machines to last me a lifetime, but might start dabbling with Itanium if
there is something which really interests me there. I suspect that, for
what I am interested in, most of F2003 and F2008 is not something I
need, but if so, it would be nice to have a modern Fortran compiler on
VMS (presumably Itanium).

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Phillip Helbig---undress to reply <helbig(a)astro.multiclothesvax.de> wrote:
(snip)

> I still use VMS at work, but alas no Fortran there. I write some
> Fortran stuff at home, but am stuck at Fortran 95 on ALPHA. VMS on
> Itanium is still going strong, and now older Itanium machines are
> getting cheap enough for hobbyist use.

There used to be RX2600's available on eBay for about $100
(plus about $70 shipping, and they are pretty heavy).
I believe it the one I have is dual 1.3GHz processor
and 10GB RAM. Disks aren't included, though.

Some have suggested that the machines were once part of a
big cluster that was being sold off.

-- glen
From: Steve Lionel on
On 6/24/2010 11:48 AM, Gordon Sande wrote:

> I have a vague memory of seeing ads for functional replacements of the
> various
> LIB$ routines some time ago. I would guess that they are no longer being
> offerred
> so my recollection is not of any real practical value.
>
> Is my vague memory a false memory?

Nope. I know of at least two companies that sold VMS replacement
libraries for Windows. The one I can remember, Sector 7, is still in
business (www.sector7.com) and still sells VMS migration products and
services. I admit to being a bit confused by their web site, though - it
mentions Windows as a platform but pretty much everywhere it talks about
UNIX only. If Jeff is really stuck, he might give them a call, but I
suspect that it will be more than he is willing to spend.

--
Steve Lionel
Developer Products Division

For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
Intel Software Development Products Support
http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
My Fortran blog
http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran
From: Steve Lionel on
On 6/24/2010 4:00 PM, Phillip Helbig---undress to reply wrote:
> In article<88haqaFkaoU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Steve Lionel
> <steve.lionel(a)intel.invalid> writes:
>
>> In a past life I was a developer of many of these LIB$ routines, so I'm
>> very familiar with them.
>
> My first big coding project was with the VAX FORTRAN (77) compiler on
> VMS, back in the early 1990s. A really great compiler. I believe Steve
> contributed quite a bit more to it than just the LIB$ routines.

Well, my career at DEC was varied. From 1988 through 2001, I worked on
VAX Fortran, as well as VMS Fortran for DEC Alpha and, of course,
DVF/CVF. 1993-1998 I worked on DEC Ada (and VAXELN Ada), and 1978-1983
I was on the VMS Run-Time Library project where I worked on those LIB$
routines, as well as Fortran and Pascal language support.

From: Phillip Helbig---undress to reply on
In article <88idrhFunuU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Steve Lionel
<steve.lionel(a)intel.invalid> writes:

> Well, my career at DEC was varied. From 1988 through 2001, I worked on
> VAX Fortran, as well as VMS Fortran for DEC Alpha and, of course,
> DVF/CVF. 1993-1998 I worked on DEC Ada (and VAXELN Ada), and 1978-1983
> I was on the VMS Run-Time Library project where I worked on those LIB$
> routines, as well as Fortran and Pascal language support.

So what were you doing 1983-1988? :-)