From: rfengineer55 on
Hello,

I'm working with some Fortran programs written to run on a VAX system.
These programs use many VMS LIB$ routines.

My question for the group is, is there a source here these VMS lib$
routines can be downloaded? I prefer to stick with Fortran 77 for this
particular project, so the downloaded libraries will have to be
compatible with that, if possible.

I found some websites about open VMS and some good descriptions of
these ibrary functions, but no source for download, unless it was
there and I missed it.

Thank you for the download suggestions.

Jeff

RF ENGINEER55
From: Louis Krupp on
On 6/24/2010 12:49 AM, rfengineer55 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working with some Fortran programs written to run on a VAX system.
> These programs use many VMS LIB$ routines.
>
> My question for the group is, is there a source here these VMS lib$
> routines can be downloaded? I prefer to stick with Fortran 77 for this
> particular project, so the downloaded libraries will have to be
> compatible with that, if possible.
>
> I found some websites about open VMS and some good descriptions of
> these ibrary functions, but no source for download, unless it was
> there and I missed it.
>
> Thank you for the download suggestions.

I would expect the library source to be proprietary to HP. And I would
guess that the library routines are in C or BLISS or assembler, and that
they use VMS System Services, so unless you want to partially emulate a
VMS system, the source, even if you had it, wouldn't do you much good.

I think you're stuck rewriting the system-dependent bits of the code for
UNIX or whatever it is you're porting to.

Louis
From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 24, 2:32 am, Louis Krupp <lkrupp_nos...(a)indra.com.invalid>
wrote:
> On 6/24/2010 12:49 AM, rfengineer55 wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I'm working with some Fortran programs written to run on a VAX system.
> > These programs use many VMS LIB$ routines.
>
> > My question for the group is, is there a source here these VMS lib$
> > routines can be downloaded? I prefer to stick with Fortran 77 for this
> > particular project, so the downloaded libraries will have to be
> > compatible with that, if possible.
>
> > I found some websites about open VMS and some good descriptions of
> > these ibrary functions, but no source for download, unless it was
> > there and I missed it.
>
> > Thank you for the download suggestions.
>
> I would expect the library source to be proprietary to HP.  And I would
> guess that the library routines are in C or BLISS or assembler, and that
> they use VMS System Services, so unless you want to partially emulate a
> VMS system, the source, even if you had it, wouldn't do you much good.
>
> I think you're stuck rewriting the system-dependent bits of the code for
> UNIX or whatever it is you're porting to.
>
> Louis

Louis,

That's what I was thinking too. I did not want to do a bunc of coding
before checking out the easer stuff fiirst. Fortunately in my
application, I can simply do without some of them and others would be
straight forward to replace with a fortran subroutine.

I don't know much about Open VMS and what it can do for me. This
particular project won't last long enough for me to find out. At least
I hope not :-)

Thanks for your response and for your observations.

Jeff

RF ENGINEER55
From: Steve Lionel on
On 6/24/2010 2:49 AM, rfengineer55 wrote:

> My question for the group is, is there a source here these VMS lib$
> routines can be downloaded? I prefer to stick with Fortran 77 for this
> particular project, so the downloaded libraries will have to be
> compatible with that, if possible.
>
> I found some websites about open VMS and some good descriptions of
> these ibrary functions, but no source for download, unless it was
> there and I missed it.

Jeff, if you'll ask in the Intel user forum and name the LIB$ routines
you're using, we can suggest alternatives. Most of the ones your
application is likely to use can probably be replaced. The VMS operating
system sources are not downloadable....

In a past life I was a developer of many of these LIB$ routines, so I'm
very familiar with them.

--
Steve Lionel
Developer Products Division

For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
Intel Software Development Products Support
http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
My Fortran blog
http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran
From: Gordon Sande on
On 2010-06-24 12:09:58 -0300, Steve Lionel <steve.lionel(a)intel.invalid> said:

> On 6/24/2010 2:49 AM, rfengineer55 wrote:
>
>> My question for the group is, is there a source here these VMS lib$
>> routines can be downloaded? I prefer to stick with Fortran 77 for this
>> particular project, so the downloaded libraries will have to be
>> compatible with that, if possible.
>>
>> I found some websites about open VMS and some good descriptions of
>> these ibrary functions, but no source for download, unless it was
>> there and I missed it.
>
> Jeff, if you'll ask in the Intel user forum and name the LIB$ routines
> you're using, we can suggest alternatives. Most of the ones your
> application is likely to use can probably be replaced. The VMS
> operating system sources are not downloadable....
>
> In a past life I was a developer of many of these LIB$ routines, so I'm
> very familiar with them.

I have a vague memory of seeing ads for functional replacements of the various
LIB$ routines some time ago. I would guess that they are no longer
being offerred
so my recollection is not of any real practical value.

Is my vague memory a false memory?