From: Steve Lionel on
On 6/25/2010 1:51 AM, Phillip Helbig---undress to reply wrote:
> In article<88idrhFunuU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Steve Lionel
> <steve.lionel(a)intel.invalid> writes:
>
>> Well, my career at DEC was varied. From 1988 through 2001, I worked on
>> VAX Fortran, as well as VMS Fortran for DEC Alpha and, of course,
>> DVF/CVF. 1993-1998 I worked on DEC Ada (and VAXELN Ada), and 1978-1983
>> I was on the VMS Run-Time Library project where I worked on those LIB$
>> routines, as well as Fortran and Pascal language support.
>
> So what were you doing 1983-1988? :-)

Sigh... 1983-1988 was DEC Ada.

--
Steve Lionel
Developer Products Division

For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
Intel Software Development Products Support
http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
My Fortran blog
http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran
From: Ron Shepard on
In article <88jtqcF4qmU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Steve Lionel <steve.lionel(a)intel.invalid> wrote:

> > So what were you doing 1983-1988? :-)
> >

> Sigh... 1983-1988 was DEC Ada.

The language conceived and designed by committee and mandated by
government agencies (DoD and NASA I think).

$.02 -Ron Shepard
From: Ron Shepard on
In article <i00dhe$5ue$1(a)online.de>,
helbig(a)astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---undress to reply)
wrote:

> My first big coding project was with the VAX FORTRAN (77) compiler on
> VMS, back in the early 1990s. A really great compiler. I believe Steve
> contributed quite a bit more to it than just the LIB$ routines.

It had a great interactive debugger too. It was so easy to use that I
would often use it as part of the routine edit-compile-run cycle during
code development. I have yet to see another debugger that is as easy
and useful. One of its features was that you would set a watchpoint at
a memory location, and the program would stop at the moment it was
changed. From there you could move up the calling stack to see how that
memory location was being modified by mistake. Overrunning arrays is
the most common bug in f77 codes, and that was a great tool for finding
these problems. Similar features in other debuggers either don't work
exactly the same way, or they slow down the running program so much that
they are not practical. I think this was because of some combination of
hardware and software support that VAX VMS provided that other systems
do not have.

Since then, after moving away from VAX hardware, I tend to do most of my
debugging with write statements, the old fashioned way. More recently,
the problem with interactive debuggers is that they do not recognize
some of the newer features of the language, such as derived data,
allocatable and automatic arrays, array syntax, module scope and so on.

$.02 -Ron Shepard
From: Steve Lionel on
On 6/25/2010 10:52 AM, Ron Shepard wrote:
> In article<88jtqcF4qmU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> Steve Lionel<steve.lionel(a)intel.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> So what were you doing 1983-1988? :-)
>>>

>> Sigh... 1983-1988 was DEC Ada.
>
> The language conceived and designed by committee and mandated by
> government agencies (DoD and NASA I think).

DoD yes. Designed by committee, much less so than Fortran. Jean Ichbiah
was the primary designer. I'm very fond of the Ada language - it had a
lot to recommend it. Unfortunately, the DoD mandate was a major strike
against it.

From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 24, 10:09 am, Steve Lionel <steve.lio...(a)intel.invalid> wrote:
> On 6/24/2010 2:49 AM, rfengineer55 wrote:
>
> > My question for the group is, is there a source here these VMS lib$
> > routines can be downloaded? I prefer to stick with Fortran 77 for this
> > particular project, so the downloaded libraries will have to be
> > compatible with that, if possible.
>
> > I found some websites about open VMS and some good descriptions of
> > these ibrary functions, but no source for download, unless it was
> > there and I missed it.
>
> Jeff, if you'll ask in the Intel user forum and name the LIB$ routines
> you're using, we can suggest alternatives. Most of the ones your
> application is likely to use can probably be replaced. The VMS operating
> system sources are not downloadable....
>
> In a past life I was a developer of many of these LIB$ routines, so I'm
> very familiar with them.
>
> --
> Steve Lionel
> Developer Products Division
> Intel Corporation
> Nashua, NH
>
> For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"
>
> User communities for Intel Software Development Products
>    http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
> Intel Software Development Products Support
>    http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
> My Fortran blog
>    http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran

Steve Lionel >

Would you be so kind as to pass along an email where I might write to
you directly? I sed the Reply to Author button here, and have not
heard a response from you. I presume that in interest of avoiding a
loaded mailbox, you have replies blocked.

My email is RFENGINEER55(a)aol.com

Thanks,Steve

Jeff

RF Engineer55