From: Hector Santos on
The only time I have seen anything close to this behavior was when the
dates are off in the computer or across the network where I had source
files, etc. Might be your issue, but who knows :)

--
HLS
From: Martin B. on
Simon wrote:
> On 2010/01/26 03:51 PM, Martin B. wrote:
>> Simon wrote:

>>> Yes I do, one that modify once file.
>>> But it is not included in the project/solution.
>>> (...)
> Yes, so was I, at the end of the build, (post-build event), I increment
> a build number in a text file.
>
> The file is not used in any projects so the compiler should not know
> about it.

Ah OK. Well so I guess this ain't the problem.
What kind of Project is it anyway - only C++/MFC? Any .NET stuff in
there? Does the rebuild also happen if you rightclick on the mentioned
projects and choose build there, or only when you do build-sln?
You could try monitoring the output and intermediate files modification
dates. ... ETC.

Anyway - I have seen some weir rebuild behaviour in the past. Most of
the times I could get rid of it by doing a full rebuild on the affected
projects.

br,
Martin
From: Simon on

> Ah OK. Well so I guess this ain't the problem.
> What kind of Project is it anyway - only C++/MFC? Any .NET stuff in
> there? Does the rebuild also happen if you rightclick on the mentioned
> projects and choose build there, or only when you do build-sln?
> You could try monitoring the output and intermediate files modification
> dates. ... ETC.
>
> Anyway - I have seen some weir rebuild behaviour in the past. Most of
> the times I could get rid of it by doing a full rebuild on the affected
> projects.
>
> br,
> Martin

They are MFC projects.
Nothing special about them as far as I can tell.

Simon
From: Mikel on
On Jan 26, 3:48 pm, "Martin B." <0xCDCDC...(a)gmx.at> wrote:
> Simon wrote:

> > Yes, so was I, at the end of the build, (post-build event), I increment
> > a build number in a text file.
>
> > The file is not used in any projects so the compiler should not know
> > about it.
>
> Ah OK. Well so I guess this ain't the problem.
> What kind of Project is it anyway - only C++/MFC? Any .NET stuff in
> there? Does the rebuild also happen if you rightclick on the mentioned
> projects and choose build there, or only when you do build-sln?
> You could try monitoring the output and intermediate files modification
> dates. ... ETC.
>
> Anyway - I have seen some weir rebuild behaviour in the past. Most of
> the times I could get rid of it by doing a full rebuild on the affected
> projects.
>
> br,
> Martin- Hide quoted text -

I've had that happen to me in VS2005 and I think I solved it by
cleaning the solution and then deleting all the files created by VS,
like *.pch, *.ncb, etc.
From: David Ching on
"Simon" <bad(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a solution with 12 projects.
> When I do a rebuild of the solution everything looks file, no warnings and
> no error.
>
> Then, without changing anything I select "Build Solution" and the compiler
> always rebuilds 2 or 3 of the projects.
>
> The output folder is on my machine, there are no issues with the clock or
> anything like that.
>
> So what could cause the compiler to think it needs to rebuild those
> project?

Does the solution have the same problem on another machine? If not, that
says it's not in any of the code but something on the machine.

What is the first file that continually builds? Does that have any specific
dependencies like a file that might have been built temporarily and deleted
so that has changed, and thus the file gets rebuilt? Unfortunately, I don't
think Visual Studio has any debug flags that you could ask it to dump the
dependency that caused the rebuild.

-- David