From: Simon on
Hi,

I have a solution with 12 projects.
When I do a rebuild of the solution everything looks file, no warnings
and no error.

Then, without changing anything I select "Build Solution" and the
compiler always rebuilds 2 or 3 of the projects.

The output folder is on my machine, there are no issues with the clock
or anything like that.

So what could cause the compiler to think it needs to rebuild those project?

Regards,

Simon
From: Martin B. on
Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a solution with 12 projects.
> When I do a rebuild of the solution everything looks file, no warnings
> and no error.
>
> Then, without changing anything I select "Build Solution" and the
> compiler always rebuilds 2 or 3 of the projects.
>
> The output folder is on my machine, there are no issues with the clock
> or anything like that.
>
> So what could cause the compiler to think it needs to rebuild those
> project?

Do you have any post- or pre.build steps that modify/copy/move files?
From: Simon on
On 2010/01/26 01:26 PM, Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a solution with 12 projects.
> When I do a rebuild of the solution everything looks file, no warnings
> and no error.
>
> Then, without changing anything I select "Build Solution" and the
> compiler always rebuilds 2 or 3 of the projects.
>
> The output folder is on my machine, there are no issues with the clock
> or anything like that.
>
> So what could cause the compiler to think it needs to rebuild those
> project?
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

>> Do you have any post- or pre.build steps that modify/copy/move files?

Yes I do, one that modify once file.
But it is not included in the project/solution.

How could I run the post-build step without causing a rebuild?

Simon
From: Martin B. on
Simon wrote:

> On 2010/01/26 01:26 PM, Simon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a solution with 12 projects.
>> When I do a rebuild of the solution everything looks file, no warnings
>> and no error.
>>
>> Then, without changing anything I select "Build Solution" and the
>> compiler always rebuilds 2 or 3 of the projects.
>>
>> The output folder is on my machine, there are no issues with the clock
>> or anything like that.
>>
>> So what could cause the compiler to think it needs to rebuild those
>> project?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Simon
>
> >> Do you have any post- or pre.build steps that modify/copy/move files?
>
> Yes I do, one that modify once file.
> But it is not included in the project/solution.

I was talking about Project > Properties > Build Events > Post-Build
Event. (that's where it is in VS2005)

Which file is it modifying, and is this modified file one of the output
files of the projects that are rebuilt?

br,
Martin
From: Simon on
On 2010/01/26 03:51 PM, Martin B. wrote:
> Simon wrote:
>>
>> On 2010/01/26 01:26 PM, Simon wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a solution with 12 projects.
>>> When I do a rebuild of the solution everything looks file, no warnings
>>> and no error.
>>>
>>> Then, without changing anything I select "Build Solution" and the
>>> compiler always rebuilds 2 or 3 of the projects.
>>>
>>> The output folder is on my machine, there are no issues with the clock
>>> or anything like that.
>>>
>>> So what could cause the compiler to think it needs to rebuild those
>>> project?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Simon

>> Yes I do, one that modify once file.
>> But it is not included in the project/solution.
>>

> I was talking about Project > Properties > Build Events > Post-Build
> Event. (that's where it is in VS2005)
>
> Which file is it modifying, and is this modified file one of the output
> files of the projects that are rebuilt?
>
> br,
> Martin

Yes, so was I, at the end of the build, (post-build event), I increment
a build number in a text file.

The file is not used in any projects so the compiler should not know
about it.

Simon