From: Brandon Staggs on
I finally got around to setting up my Commodore desk again. I have a
C64 (8-pin din av) and a C128, with one 1902a monitor. What I need is
a monitor switch so I don't have to unplug the cable every time I want
to switch computers.

Does anyone sell such a thing? I am not handy with a soldering iron
so I wouldn't be up to the task of making my own.

It just occurred to me that I could use a typical AV switch with
S-Video, assuming I had three 8-pin din AV to S-Video/RCA cables. The
only one I could find online is $20 and that's just ridiculous (IMHO).
Is there a good source for these that isn't so expensive?

TIA.

--
-Brandon
http://www.brandonstaggs.com/c64.html
From: rusure on
On Aug 25, 7:21 am, Brandon Staggs <nos...(a)a.b.c> wrote:
> I finally got around to setting up my Commodore desk again.  I have a
> C64 (8-pin din av) and a C128, with one 1902a monitor.  What I need is
> a monitor switch so I don't have to unplug the cable every time I want
> to switch computers.
>
> Does anyone sell such a thing?  I am not handy with a soldering iron
> so I wouldn't be up to the task of making my own.
>
> It just occurred to me that I could use a typical AV switch with
> S-Video, assuming I had three 8-pin din AV to S-Video/RCA cables.  The
> only one I could find online is $20 and that's just ridiculous (IMHO).
> Is there a good source for these that isn't so expensive?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> -Brandon
>  http://www.brandonstaggs.com/c64.html

Please describe the ports on your monitor.and their labels. I have
never seen an S-VIDEO port on either a Commodore computer or a 1902.
A / V ports on Commodore computers are round, a little less than 1/2
inch and accept either 5 or 8 pin plugs. The 1902 is fully compatible
with a C128 and a C64. The 1902 that I owned had a round 8 pin RGB
port, a round 6 pin port for a separate LUMA / COMPOSITE 40 column
composite video signal, and RCA jacks for audio and combined video
input. If this is what you have then you already have all the
equipment you need on board your monitor. Connect the 8 pin separate
LUMA / CHROMA composite cable to your computer A / V port and to your
6 pin video port on your monitor. You will need a cable with a 5 pin
computer plug and either 2, 3 or 4 RCA plugs for the monitor RCA
Jacks. There should be (a) switch(es) on your monitor for configuring
your monitor for RGB, separate video or composite video. Use that
(those) switch(es) to toggle between the C64 or C128.
From: Golan Klinger on
rusure wrote:

> I have never seen an S-VIDEO port on either a Commodore computer or a
> 1902.

Sure you have. The S in S-video stands for separated (at least it did until
some marketing type decided "super video" was catchier) and separated refers
to the luma and chroma. When you think S-video you probably think of cables
with a 4-pin Mini-DIN connector but it works just as well when delivered via
a pair of RCA connectors.

--
Golan Klinger
Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.

From: Brandon Staggs on
"rusure" wrote on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:27:39 -0700 (PDT):

> Please describe the ports on your monitor.and their labels. I have
> never seen an S-VIDEO port on either a Commodore computer or a 1902.

Neither have I, but the C64 and C128 A/V outputs can eaisily be
converted to an S-Video plug.

http://radagast.bglug.ca/C64_svideo/C64_Svideo.html
http://radagast.bglug.ca/C64_svideo/repair_pinouts.html#S_VIDEO

> with a C128 and a C64. The 1902 that I owned had a round 8 pin RGB
> port, a round 6 pin port for a separate LUMA / COMPOSITE 40 column
> composite video signal, and RCA jacks for audio and combined video
> input. If this is what you have then you already have all the
> equipment you need on board your monitor. Connect the 8 pin separate
> LUMA / CHROMA composite cable to your computer A / V port and to your
> 6 pin video port on your monitor. You will need a cable with a 5 pin
> computer plug and either 2, 3 or 4 RCA plugs for the monitor RCA
> Jacks. There should be (a) switch(es) on your monitor for configuring
> your monitor for RGB, separate video or composite video. Use that
> (those) switch(es) to toggle between the C64 or C128.

The RGB connection won't work in C64 mode (on the 128), and using
composite video isn't an option -- I want the signals separate.

So I need an 8-pin din switch. I just answered my own question --
this doesn't have to be Commodore-specific.

From: ramswell on
On Aug 25, 6:21 am, Brandon Staggs <nos...(a)a.b.c> wrote:
> I finally got around to setting up my Commodore desk again.  I have a
> C64 (8-pin din av) and a C128, with one 1902a monitor.  What I need is
> a monitor switch so I don't have to unplug the cable every time I want
> to switch computers.
>
> Does anyone sell such a thing?  I am not handy with a soldering iron
> so I wouldn't be up to the task of making my own.
>
> It just occurred to me that I could use a typical AV switch with
> S-Video, assuming I had three 8-pin din AV to S-Video/RCA cables.  The
> only one I could find online is $20 and that's just ridiculous (IMHO).
> Is there a good source for these that isn't so expensive?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> -Brandon
>  http://www.brandonstaggs.com/c64.html

Sounds like a job for my "UNIVERSAL VIDEO MODULE." Take a look at my
website and see if it's what your seeking. If it's not, then feel free
to contact me and communicate to me what it is that you need in detail
and I'll see what I can do for you. :):)

http://www.8bitdesigns.ath.cx

Charles> 8-Bit Designs