From: John Karpich on
I am also thinking about upgrading my video card. I'm using 11.0, but I
am planning on installing 11.3. I'm using a nVidia 5200+ card, but it
doesn't support the 19200x1080 22" flat panel monitor I plan on putting
on that box.

I'm thinking about upgrading to something ATI. Should I just wait and
install the new video card when I upgrade, and hopefully it will be
detected. Then I can down load the proprietary driver through Yast.

From: Will Honea on
houghi wrote:

> John Karpich wrote:
>> I am also thinking about upgrading my video card. I'm using 11.0, but I
>> am planning on installing 11.3. I'm using a nVidia 5200+ card, but it
>> doesn't support the 19200x1080 22" flat panel monitor I plan on putting
>> on that box.
>>
>> I'm thinking about upgrading to something ATI. Should I just wait and
>> install the new video card when I upgrade, and hopefully it will be
>> detected. Then I can down load the proprietary driver through Yast.
>
> See that it is a NVidea card as they are best suported.
> Method 1)
> First add the NVidia repo.
> Next go to CTRL-ALT-F1, log in as root and do `init 3` and check if you
> have internet. If you do not have internet under CLI, see that you get
> that by uning standard ifup and not NetworkManager (Set via YaST)
>
> If you have Internet, install the card and when booting add 3 as grub
> parameter. You should be in CLI, If not do CTRL-ALT-F1
> Log in as root and start YaST. Install the NVidia driver.
> Then exit YaST and run `nvidia-setup` and do configuration.
> Do `init 5 && exit`
> Done
>
> Method 2)
> Download the NVidia installer
> Install the card and start with the "3" parameter
> Log in as root and run the installer
> un `nvidia-setup` and do configuration.
> Do `init 5 && exit`
> Done

That usually works but some hardware requires you to jump through a couple
more hoops. Check the openSUSE.org forums for more gory details, but 11.3
went to a fully automatic setup scheme for video and an awful lot of people
are finding that video can be a PITA to get working under 11.3. That said,
Nvidia has been pretty straight forward compared to ATI but way too many
people are getting bit in the butt by the changeover.

--
Will Honea

From: mjt on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:27:43 -0600
Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
[snipped]

> That usually works but some hardware requires you to jump
> through a
> couple more hoops. Check the openSUSE.org forums for more gory
> details, but 11.3 went to a fully automatic setup scheme for video

It's all about KMS being the wave of the future
for GNU/Linux distros.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=kernel+mode-setting

> and an awful lot of people are finding that video can be a PITA to
> get working under 11.3.

It was a breeze for me - simply added the Nvidia repo
and rebooted.

--
Associate with well-mannered persons and your manners will improve.
Run with decent folk and your own decent instincts will be

From: Eef Hartman on
John Karpich <rocket9005(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> I am also thinking about upgrading my video card. I'm using 11.0, but I
> am planning on installing 11.3. I'm using a nVidia 5200+ card, but it
> doesn't support the 19200x1080 22" flat panel monitor I plan on putting
> on that box.

THAT is strange, my much older GeForce 4 MX 440 (with the 96.43.16
legacy series of drivers) supports my 26" 1920x1200 flatscreen just fine.

> I'm thinking about upgrading to something ATI.

Don't. Go again for NVidia (i.e. the Quadro FX1700) instead.
It is still the better support video cards for Linux.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: mjt on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:29:13 +0200
Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:

> > I'm thinking about upgrading to something ATI.
>
> Don't. Go again for NVidia (i.e. the Quadro FX1700) instead.
> It is still the better support video cards for Linux.

Agreed !!

--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>