From: Doug W. on

"Mint" <chocolatemint77581(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Apr 16, 9:42 pm, LD55ZRA <LD55...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Mint wrote:
> >I have granted full control to a limited user to view the
> >files in C:
> >\system volume information,
> >but I still cannot view the files.
>
> >Is there a way to view them?
>
> >Thanks.
>
> See if this article helps:
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531>
>
> Let us know if it solved your problem.

No, the article did not help.

It assumes that you are logged on as an admin.

As a limited user I can view the System Volume Information
folder, but
not any other folders underneath it.

I want to be able to view the _restore folders as a LIMITED
USER.

I tried sharing the folder, but it doesn't help.

Andy
==
You are NOT ALLOWED to see it. Can you not understand that?
Geez.

==

From: Mint on
On Apr 17, 10:25 am, "Doug W." <stand(a)attention> wrote:
> "Mint" <chocolatemint77...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 16, 9:42 pm, LD55ZRA <LD55...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Mint wrote:
> > >I have granted full control to a limited user to view the
> > >files in C:
> > >\system volume information,
> > >but I still cannot view the files.
>
> > >Is there a way to view them?
>
> > >Thanks.
>
> > See if this article helps:
>
> > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531>
>
> > Let us know if it solved your problem.
>
> No, the article did not help.
>
> It assumes that you are logged on as an admin.
>
> As a limited user I can view the System Volume Information
> folder, but
> not any other folders underneath it.
>
> I want to be able to view the _restore folders as a LIMITED
> USER.
>
> I tried sharing the folder, but it doesn't help.
>
> Andy
> ==
> You are NOT ALLOWED to see it. Can you not understand that?
> Geez.
>
> ==

I can see every other hidden folder, why not this one?

From: Doug W. on

On Apr 17, 10:25 am, "Doug W." <stand(a)attention> wrote:
> "Mint" <chocolatemint77...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 16, 9:42 pm, LD55ZRA
> <LD55...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Mint wrote:
> > >I have granted full control to a limited user to view the
> > >files in C:
> > >\system volume information,
> > >but I still cannot view the files.
>
> > >Is there a way to view them?
>
> > >Thanks.
>
> > See if this article helps:
>
> > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531>
>
> > Let us know if it solved your problem.
>
> No, the article did not help.
>
> It assumes that you are logged on as an admin.
>
> As a limited user I can view the System Volume Information
> folder, but
> not any other folders underneath it.
>
> I want to be able to view the _restore folders as a LIMITED
> USER.
>
> I tried sharing the folder, but it doesn't help.
>
> Andy
> ==
> You are NOT ALLOWED to see it. Can you not understand that?
> Geez.
>
> ==

I can see every other hidden folder, why not this one?
==
Even if you could SEE it, there is NO useable information there
for you to tinker with. Why are you so snoopy? Microsoft says
NO, accept that or go get an Apple and quit this banter.
==

From: Lem on
Mint wrote:
> On Apr 16, 10:52 pm, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:
>> Mint wrote:
>>> I have granted full control to a limited user to view the files in C:
>>> \system volume information,
>>> but I still cannot view the files.
>>> Is there a way to view them?
>>> Thanks.
>> System Volume Information is "super hidden" for good reason. Mess with
>> it at your peril.
>>
>> --
>> Lem
>>
>> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html
>
> Hey Lem.
>
> Now stay calm. :-)
> I am a professional.
>
> Andy

Yes ... but a professional what?

Actually, if you follow the instructions in KB 309531 (at least those
for "Windows XP Professional using the NTFS File System on a Workgroup
or Standalone Computer") a limited user *can* view the subfolders of the
_restorexxx folder.

Perhaps if you were to explain *why* you want to view those subfolders
(whether as a limited user or as a computer administrator) you might be
able to get some useful information.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: luke7 on

"Lem" wrote:

> Mint wrote:
> >> System Volume Information is "super hidden" for good reason. Mess with
> >> it at your peril.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lem
> >>
> >> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html
> >
> > Hey Lem.
> >
> > Now stay calm. :-)
> > I am a professional.
> >
> > Andy
>
> Yes ... but a professional what?
>
> Actually, if you follow the instructions in KB 309531 (at least those
> for "Windows XP Professional using the NTFS File System on a Workgroup
> or Standalone Computer") a limited user *can* view the subfolders of the
> _restorexxx folder.
>
> Perhaps if you were to explain *why* you want to view those subfolders
> (whether as a limited user or as a computer administrator) you might be
> able to get some useful information.
>
> --
> Lem

I followed KB 309531 and was not able to view the sub directories.

I want to view them so I can see how many system restore points are there.

I use a limited account to be safe.
I want to limit how many times that I have to log on as an Admin.

I have no evil intent.

Check my posts in the newsgroups if you doubt it.

Andy

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Dynamic link library