From: luke7 on

"Doug W." wrote:

> "luke7" <luke7(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Yes ... but a professional what?
> >>
> >> Actually, if you follow the instructions in KB 309531 (at
> >> least those
> >> for "Windows XP Professional using the NTFS File System on a
> >> Workgroup
> >> or Standalone Computer") a limited user *can* view the
> >> subfolders of the
> >> _restorexxx folder.
> >>
> >> Perhaps if you were to explain *why* you want to view those
> >> subfolders
> >> (whether as a limited user or as a computer administrator)
> >> you might be
> >> able to get some useful information.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lem
> >
> > I followed KB 309531 and was not able to view the sub
> > directories.
> >
> > I want to view them so I can see how many system restore
> > points are there.
> >
> > I use a limited account to be safe.
> > I want to limit how many times that I have to log on as an
> > Admin.
> >
> > I have no evil intent.
> >
> > Check my posts in the newsgroups if you doubt it.
> >
> > Andy
> >
> ========
> If you want to check how many system restore points there are
> then go to:
>
> Start/All Programs/Accesories/System Tools/System Restore
>
> Check the Restore my computer to an earlier time/next
>
> See where the calendar has darkened the dates where there are
> restore points.
>
> There, you can now count how many restore points there are.
>
> Now get the back the heck out of there and quit messing around.

That is way to many steps when a simple permission would do it or some way
that someone doesn't want to reveal.

From: Daave on
luke7 wrote:
> "Doug W." wrote:
>

>> "luke7" <luke7(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> I followed KB 309531 and was not able to view the sub
>>> directories.
>>>
>>> I want to view them so I can see how many system restore
>>> points are there.
>>>
>>> I use a limited account to be safe.
>>> I want to limit how many times that I have to log on as an
>>> Admin.
>>>
>>> I have no evil intent.
>>>
>>> Check my posts in the newsgroups if you doubt it.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>
>> ========
>> If you want to check how many system restore points there are
>> then go to:
>>
>> Start/All Programs/Accesories/System Tools/System Restore
>>
>> Check the Restore my computer to an earlier time/next
>>
>> See where the calendar has darkened the dates where there are
>> restore points.
>>
>> There, you can now count how many restore points there are.
>>
>> Now get the back the heck out of there and quit messing around.
>>

> That is way to many steps when a simple permission would do it or
> some way that someone doesn't want to reveal.

Actually, the method above by far is the easiest way. The only other
ways (KB309531 or booting off a Linux environment) have already been
discussed in this thread. It's not a matter of people here not wanting
to reveal anything. That particular folder is "super-hidden" and is so
by design (blame Microsoft if you want to!).

From: Doug W. on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> luke7 wrote:
>> "Doug W." wrote:
>>

>>> "luke7" <luke7(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> ========
>>> If you want to check how many system restore points there
>>> are
>>> then go to:
>>>
>>> Start/All Programs/Accesories/System Tools/System Restore
>>>
>>> Check the Restore my computer to an earlier time/next
>>>
>>> See where the calendar has darkened the dates where there
>>> are
>>> restore points.
>>>
>>> There, you can now count how many restore points there are.
>>>
>>> Now get the back the heck out of there and quit messing
>>> around.
>>>

>> That is way to many steps when a simple permission would do
>> it or
>> some way that someone doesn't want to reveal.
>
> Actually, the method above by far is the easiest way. The only
> other ways (KB309531 or booting off a Linux environment) have
> already been discussed in this thread. It's not a matter of
> people here not wanting to reveal anything. That particular
> folder is "super-hidden" and is so by design (blame Microsoft
> if you want to!).

==
Daave: Well, when you are dealing with "mind warp" as is evident
by his reply, then no explanation will do and so we might as
well say no more.
==