From: luke7 on

"Doug W." wrote:

> "Mint" <chocolatemint77581(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Apr 17, 10:25 am, "Doug W." <stand(a)attention> wrote:
> > "Mint" <chocolatemint77...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Apr 16, 9:42 pm, LD55ZRA
> > <LD55...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:

> > > See if this article helps:
> >
> > > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531>
> >
> > > Let us know if it solved your problem.
> >
> > No, the article did not help.
> >
> > It assumes that you are logged on as an admin.
> >
> > As a limited user I can view the System Volume Information
> > folder, but
> > not any other folders underneath it.
> >
> > I want to be able to view the _restore folders as a LIMITED
> > USER.
> >
> > I tried sharing the folder, but it doesn't help.
> >
> > Andy
> > ==
> > You are NOT ALLOWED to see it. Can you not understand that?
> > Geez.
> >
> > ==
>
> I can see every other hidden folder, why not this one?
> ==
> Even if you could SEE it, there is NO useable information there
> for you to tinker with. Why are you so snoopy? Microsoft says
> NO, accept that or go get an Apple and quit this banter.

Each one of you should give just as he has decided in his heart, not
reluctantly or under compulsion, because God loves a cheerful giver. 2
Corinthians 9:7
From: Mint on

From: Paul on
Mint wrote:
> On Apr 17, 1:21 pm, "Doug W." <stand(a)attention> wrote:
>> "Mint" <chocolatemint77...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> On Apr 17, 10:25 am, "Doug W." <stand(a)attention> wrote:
>>

>>> "Mint" <chocolatemint77...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> On Apr 16, 9:42 pm, LD55ZRA
>>> <LD55...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
>>> No, the article did not help.
>>> It assumes that you are logged on as an admin.
>>> As a limited user I can view the System Volume Information
>>> folder, but
>>> not any other folders underneath it.
>>> I want to be able to view the _restore folders as a LIMITED
>>> USER.
>>> I tried sharing the folder, but it doesn't help.
>>> Andy
>>> ==
>>> You are NOT ALLOWED to see it. Can you not understand that?
>>> Geez.
>>> ==
>> I can see every other hidden folder, why not this one?
>> ==
>> Even if you could SEE it, there is NO useable information there
>> for you to tinker with. Why are you so snoopy? Microsoft says
>> NO, accept that or go get an Apple and quit this banter.
>> ==
>
> Each one of you should give just as he has decided in his heart, not
> reluctantly or under compulsion, because God loves a cheerful giver. 2
> Corinthians 9:7

There are various ways in there. My Linux CD doesn't give me a problem.
I can mount NTFS or FAT32 volumes in Linux, and security generally isn't
a problem. Who needs a native method, when there are so many other
hacking options ?

Installing Windows on a FAT32 C: would also likely help you in this
regard.

This is the insides of mine, compliments of running WinXP on a FAT32 partition.

*******
Directory of C:\System Volume Information\_restore{AAB841EA-B06A-40C3-BFFE-A97A5C886FBA}

03/22/2010 06:11 PM <DIR> .
03/22/2010 06:11 PM <DIR> ..
04/17/2010 08:53 PM 24 _driver.cfg
04/16/2010 11:00 AM 23,872 _filelst.cfg
04/17/2010 08:54 PM 1,130 drivetable.txt
01/17/2010 04:11 PM 270 fifo.log
02/22/2010 01:05 AM <DIR> RP100
02/23/2010 12:33 AM <DIR> RP101
02/24/2010 06:22 AM <DIR> RP102
02/24/2010 06:22 AM <DIR> RP103
02/24/2010 06:29 AM <DIR> RP104
02/24/2010 08:23 PM <DIR> RP105
02/24/2010 08:23 PM <DIR> RP106
02/24/2010 08:26 PM <DIR> RP107
02/24/2010 08:26 PM <DIR> RP108
02/24/2010 09:46 PM <DIR> RP109
02/24/2010 09:51 PM <DIR> RP110
02/25/2010 10:45 PM <DIR> RP111
02/27/2010 04:05 AM <DIR> RP112
02/28/2010 08:15 PM <DIR> RP113
03/01/2010 11:56 PM <DIR> RP114
03/03/2010 12:59 AM <DIR> RP115
03/04/2010 04:04 PM <DIR> RP116
03/05/2010 05:53 PM <DIR> RP117
03/06/2010 08:49 PM <DIR> RP118
03/07/2010 09:09 PM <DIR> RP119
03/09/2010 04:59 AM <DIR> RP120
03/10/2010 07:12 AM <DIR> RP121
03/13/2010 04:08 AM <DIR> RP122
03/15/2010 03:52 PM <DIR> RP123
03/17/2010 06:47 PM <DIR> RP124
03/21/2010 02:00 PM <DIR> RP125
01/19/2010 07:57 PM <DIR> RP75
01/20/2010 10:53 PM <DIR> RP76
01/23/2010 12:51 AM <DIR> RP77
01/24/2010 01:24 AM <DIR> RP78
01/25/2010 05:06 AM <DIR> RP79
01/27/2010 05:50 PM <DIR> RP80
01/28/2010 07:52 AM <DIR> RP81
01/28/2010 01:36 PM <DIR> RP82
01/28/2010 02:05 PM <DIR> RP83
01/28/2010 02:21 PM <DIR> RP84
01/29/2010 06:44 AM <DIR> RP85
01/29/2010 06:50 AM <DIR> RP86
01/29/2010 07:23 PM <DIR> RP87
02/01/2010 01:57 PM <DIR> RP88
02/05/2010 11:31 AM <DIR> RP89
02/07/2010 07:00 AM <DIR> RP90
02/09/2010 12:03 AM <DIR> RP91
02/10/2010 09:46 PM <DIR> RP92
02/12/2010 02:26 PM <DIR> RP93
02/13/2010 06:19 PM <DIR> RP94
02/14/2010 07:46 PM <DIR> RP95
02/15/2010 08:05 PM <DIR> RP96
02/17/2010 11:07 AM <DIR> RP97
02/18/2010 02:42 PM <DIR> RP98
02/20/2010 01:23 AM <DIR> RP99
03/24/2010 12:10 AM <DIR> RP126
03/25/2010 11:51 PM <DIR> RP127
03/28/2010 09:01 PM <DIR> RP128
03/29/2010 09:09 PM <DIR> RP129
03/31/2010 06:48 PM <DIR> RP130
04/01/2010 02:58 AM <DIR> RP131
04/01/2010 02:58 AM <DIR> RP132
04/02/2010 03:32 PM <DIR> RP133
04/04/2010 07:55 PM <DIR> RP134
04/05/2010 09:06 PM <DIR> RP135
04/08/2010 12:28 AM <DIR> RP136
04/10/2010 02:36 PM <DIR> RP137
04/10/2010 11:39 PM <DIR> RP138
04/12/2010 02:15 AM <DIR> RP139
04/13/2010 03:50 AM <DIR> RP140
04/14/2010 04:40 AM <DIR> RP141
04/15/2010 06:02 AM <DIR> RP142
04/16/2010 11:00 AM <DIR> RP143
04/16/2010 03:39 PM <DIR> RP144
04/16/2010 03:40 PM <DIR> RP145

*******

C:\System Volume Information
2.96 GB (3,186,114,564 bytes)

I'm sure you could find another way. Be creative :-)
It ain't fun, until you break something :-)
There is bound to be a recipe to get in there, available somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacls

http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_volume_information_folder1.htm

Paul
From: Doug W. on

"luke7" <luke7(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> Mint wrote:

>> > Hey Lem.
>> >
>> > Now stay calm. :-)
>> > I am a professional.
>> >
>> > Andy
>>
>> Yes ... but a professional what?
>>
>> Actually, if you follow the instructions in KB 309531 (at
>> least those
>> for "Windows XP Professional using the NTFS File System on a
>> Workgroup
>> or Standalone Computer") a limited user *can* view the
>> subfolders of the
>> _restorexxx folder.
>>
>> Perhaps if you were to explain *why* you want to view those
>> subfolders
>> (whether as a limited user or as a computer administrator)
>> you might be
>> able to get some useful information.
>>
>> --
>> Lem
>
> I followed KB 309531 and was not able to view the sub
> directories.
>
> I want to view them so I can see how many system restore
> points are there.
>
> I use a limited account to be safe.
> I want to limit how many times that I have to log on as an
> Admin.
>
> I have no evil intent.
>
> Check my posts in the newsgroups if you doubt it.
>
> Andy

========
If you want to check how many system restore points there are
then go to:

Start/All Programs/Accesories/System Tools/System Restore

Check the Restore my computer to an earlier time/next

See where the calendar has darkened the dates where there are
restore points.

There, you can now count how many restore points there are.

Now get the back the heck out of there and quit messing around.

===

From: Daave on
luke7 wrote:
> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> Mint wrote:

>>> Hey Lem.
>>>
>>> Now stay calm. :-)
>>> I am a professional.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>
>> Yes ... but a professional what?
>>
>> Actually, if you follow the instructions in KB 309531 (at least those
>> for "Windows XP Professional using the NTFS File System on a
>> Workgroup or Standalone Computer") a limited user *can* view the
>> subfolders of the _restorexxx folder.
>>
>> Perhaps if you were to explain *why* you want to view those
>> subfolders (whether as a limited user or as a computer
>> administrator) you might be able to get some useful information.
>>
>> --
>> Lem
>
> I followed KB 309531 and was not able to view the sub directories.
>
> I want to view them so I can see how many system restore points are
> there.

You can get that information by simply running System Restore. (Just
don't roll back to an earlier point!)

Keep in mind that the older the Restore Point, the less useful it is.
Consider imaging the hard drive instead if you want to be safe.

Also, in the future, to avoid confusion, please don't alter your
identity, especially in the same thread! You began as "mint" and now you
are "luke7." That's very confusing!

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Dynamic link library