From: Steve Terry on
".newman" <aa111(a)despammed.com> wrote in message
> On 09/08/2010 20:44, Steve Terry wrote:
>> "Garry Knight"<garryknight(a)gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> I can't answer your question exactly, but you might want to read about
>>> my
>>> experiences with tethering my mobile phone to my netbook. I would advise
>>> you
>>> *not* to try it without knowing what you might be getting into.
>>> http://aintitpre.posterous.com/hidden-mobile-data-charges-ethical-or-not
>>> Garry Knight
>>>

>> I would (and do) only use PAYG sims for tethering use, as you've little
>> if any control over contract data rates unless using an added data
>> package.
>> Steve Terry
>
> Thanks for the warning. How long would it take with normal browsing to
> hit the 25Mb limit?
> Regards

Not much, i've used Virgin PAYG on it's 30p per day as a fall back.

My main data PAYG is Three My3 on �5 internet monthly,
Three also offer 50p daily, or �2.50 weekly.

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Chris Blunt on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 22:28:38 +0100, "Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net>
wrote:

>"Peter" <occassionally-confused(a)nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Garry Knight <garryknight(a)gmx.net> wrote
>>
>>>I can't answer your question exactly, but you might want to read about my
>>>experiences with tethering my mobile phone to my netbook. I would advise
>>>you
>>>*not* to try it without knowing what you might be getting into.
>>>http://aintitpre.posterous.com/hidden-mobile-data-charges-ethical-or-not
>>
>> Reading the above, I don't see any evidence your bills are anything to
>> do with tethering.
>>
>> You simply exceeded the 25MB/day limit, and got charged per kilobyte
>> after that.
>>
>> I used to be with Virgin and was well aware of this 25MB/day limit,
>> which at 30p/day made GSM data essentially free (for my sort of
>> usage).
>>

>True, but hard to exceed browsing on a phone, but very easy to
>exceed tethered to a PC

Do Virgin let you know when you're reached the 25MB daily limit, or do
they just go ahead and debit your account with the extra charges?

Chris
From: Garry Knight on
Chris Blunt wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 22:28:38 +0100, "Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Peter" <occassionally-confused(a)nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Reading the above, I don't see any evidence your bills are anything to
>>> do with tethering.
>>> It is just easier to download a gig with a laptop :)

And that's just it. My phone doesn't run Skype, and though it can run
Nimbuzz in text chat mode, I don't use it for that now I know how much data
is transferred. It was because it was tethered that I decided to run Skype.
It's much easier to touch-type on my netbook's 90+% keyboard than it is to
tap messages out on my capacitative touch-screen phone. The latter takes the
Instant out of Instant Messaging...

>>True, but hard to exceed browsing on a phone, but very easy to
>>exceed tethered to a PC

Exactly, though I suspect Nimbuzz would happily let me go over the limit
quite quickly. One day when I've got plenty of money, I might try it just to
find out how it compares to Skype.

> Do Virgin let you know when you're reached the 25MB daily limit, or do
> they just go ahead and debit your account with the extra charges?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Sorry (cough!) no, they don't let you know. They just let you go on running
up a hefty bill and then tell you it's your own fault, even if you point out
that their salesman didn't tell you in advance about the excess data
charges.

--
Garry Knight
garryknight(a)gmx.net

From: Steve Terry on
> Chris Blunt wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 22:28:38 +0100, "Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net>
>> wrote:
>>>"Peter" <occassionally-confused(a)nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
<snip>
>> Do Virgin let you know when you're reached the 25MB daily limit, or do
>> they just go ahead and debit your account with the extra charges?
>
> Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
> Sorry (cough!) no, they don't let you know. They just let you go on
> running
> up a hefty bill and then tell you it's your own fault, even if you point
> out
> that their salesman didn't tell you in advance about the excess data
> charges.
> Garry Knight

That's the advantage of using a PAYG data sim, if you go outside your
data allowance all you'll loose is the remaining credit, so obviously
don't leave loads of PAYG credit on.

The networks have made �millions out of contract data users going
outside their intentionally confusing amounts of inclusive data.

Steve Terry
--
"I would like to plead for my right to investigate natural phenomena
without having guns pointed at me.

From: Chris Blunt on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:47:51 +0100, Garry Knight <garryknight(a)gmx.net>
wrote:

>> Do Virgin let you know when you're reached the 25MB daily limit, or do
>> they just go ahead and debit your account with the extra charges?
>
>Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
>Sorry (cough!) no, they don't let you know. They just let you go on running
>up a hefty bill and then tell you it's your own fault, even if you point out
>that their salesman didn't tell you in advance about the excess data
>charges.

Thanks. I just thought they might send you a text when you approach
your daily limit because some of the networks I use outside the UK do
just that.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Unlocked SIM-free I-Phone 4