From: .newman on
Does anyone know what charges Virgin mobile will levy for very
occasional [once every few months] tethering on a monthly contract?

Regards
From: Garry Knight on
..newman wrote:

> Does anyone know what charges Virgin mobile will levy for very
> occasional [once every few months] tethering on a monthly contract?
>
> Regards

I can't answer your question exactly, but you might want to read about my
experiences with tethering my mobile phone to my netbook. I would advise you
*not* to try it without knowing what you might be getting into.
http://aintitpre.posterous.com/hidden-mobile-data-charges-ethical-or-not

--
Garry Knight
garryknight(a)gmx.net

From: Steve Terry on
"Garry Knight" <garryknight(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
> .newman wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what charges Virgin mobile will levy for very
>> occasional [once every few months] tethering on a monthly contract?
>> Regards
>
> I can't answer your question exactly, but you might want to read about my
> experiences with tethering my mobile phone to my netbook. I would advise
> you
> *not* to try it without knowing what you might be getting into.
> http://aintitpre.posterous.com/hidden-mobile-data-charges-ethical-or-not
> Garry Knight

I would (and do) only use PAYG sims for tethering use, as you've little
if any control over contract data rates unless using an added data package.

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: .newman on
On 09/08/2010 20:44, Steve Terry wrote:
> "Garry Knight"<garryknight(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
>> .newman wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know what charges Virgin mobile will levy for very
>>> occasional [once every few months] tethering on a monthly contract?
>>> Regards
>>
>> I can't answer your question exactly, but you might want to read about my
>> experiences with tethering my mobile phone to my netbook. I would advise
>> you
>> *not* to try it without knowing what you might be getting into.
>> http://aintitpre.posterous.com/hidden-mobile-data-charges-ethical-or-not
>> Garry Knight
>>

> I would (and do) only use PAYG sims for tethering use, as you've little
> if any control over contract data rates unless using an added data package.
>
> Steve Terry
Thanks for the warning. How long would it take with normal browsing to
hit the 25Mb limit?

Regards
From: Steve Terry on
"Peter" <occassionally-confused(a)nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

> Garry Knight <garryknight(a)gmx.net> wrote
>
>>I can't answer your question exactly, but you might want to read about my
>>experiences with tethering my mobile phone to my netbook. I would advise
>>you
>>*not* to try it without knowing what you might be getting into.
>>http://aintitpre.posterous.com/hidden-mobile-data-charges-ethical-or-not
>
> Reading the above, I don't see any evidence your bills are anything to
> do with tethering.
>
> You simply exceeded the 25MB/day limit, and got charged per kilobyte
> after that.
>
> I used to be with Virgin and was well aware of this 25MB/day limit,
> which at 30p/day made GSM data essentially free (for my sort of
> usage).

True, but hard to exceed browsing on a phone, but very easy to
exceed tethered to a PC

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Unlocked SIM-free I-Phone 4