From: Chris Cox on
On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 17:48 +0200, houghi wrote:
> Vahis wrote:
> > I was able to log out from my main machine sessions and leave the VMWare
> > virtual machines running. This is something I can't do with VBox.
> > The VBox machines are run like "applications run by the host user", not
> > like independent machines like they are under VMWare server.
> >
> > I think it's been on some wish lists somewhere but I haven't heard any
> > news, I wonder if there's any development on that.
>
> No change.
>
> houghi

??? VBox has a headless mode.

From: Vahis on
On 2010-08-04, Chris Cox <chrisncoxn(a)endlessnow.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 17:48 +0200, houghi wrote:
>> Vahis wrote:
>> > I was able to log out from my main machine sessions and leave the VMWare
>> > virtual machines running. This is something I can't do with VBox.
>> > The VBox machines are run like "applications run by the host user", not
>> > like independent machines like they are under VMWare server.
>> >
>> > I think it's been on some wish lists somewhere but I haven't heard any
>> > news, I wonder if there's any development on that.
>>
>> No change.
>>
>> houghi
>
> ??? VBox has a headless mode.

It does, yes. Then you can log in remotely.

It's not what I mean here though.

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) 2.6.34-12-default
From: Vahis on
On 2010-08-04, houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> Vahis wrote:
>> I was able to log out from my main machine sessions and leave the VMWare
>> virtual machines running. This is something I can't do with VBox.
>> The VBox machines are run like "applications run by the host user", not
>> like independent machines like they are under VMWare server.
>>
>> I think it's been on some wish lists somewhere but I haven't heard any
>> news, I wonder if there's any development on that.
>
> No change.
>
> houghi

I thought so, pity.

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) 2.6.34-12-default
19:21pm up 8 days 11:33, 5 users, load average: 0.25, 0.32, 0.38
From: marrgol on
On 2010-08-04 16:15, Vahis wrote:
> I was able to log out from my main machine sessions and leave the VMWare
> virtual machines running. This is something I can't do with VBox.

Sure you can. Maybe not as easy as in VMWare but still. Use headless
mode as hinted by someone else and the trick is to start the VM
detached from the terminal like this:

~ $ nohup VBoxHeadless --startvm VMname &

and use e.g. rdesktop to access it. It works locally too...
If you have more than one VM remember to specify different tcp
port for each.

--
mrg

From: Chris Cox on
On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 16:31 +0000, Vahis wrote:
> On 2010-08-04, Chris Cox <chrisncoxn(a)endlessnow.com> wrote:

> >> No change.
> >>
> >> houghi
> >
> > ??? VBox has a headless mode.
> >
> It does, yes. Then you can log in remotely.
>
> It's not what I mean here though.

You can log in via any "remote" desktop protocol... you can view that as
always meaning "remotely", but I find that works fine for locally as
well. Just an idea...

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: I GOT $2500 FROM PAYPAL....