From: mjt on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 23:17:09 -0700 (PDT)
Bengt T <bengt_tornqvist(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am planning to install virtualization sw into my laptop.
>
> Which criterias should I consider when I compare different
> alternatives (Wmware, Virtualbox, Xen...) and which are the pros and
> cons?

There's plenty of reviews to be found ...

I'd suggest VirtualBox.

--
Finagle's fourth Law:
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to

From: Eef Hartman on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> I would then look at XEN as that does even more in that direction, if I
> understand correctly. No experience and no need for it.

Yeah, but xen development seems to be at a dead end.
And with Red Hat (and it's family) going to kvm and NOT delivering a
xen kernel anymore, it does seem like kvm is going to be the future.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Eef Hartman on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> And why did they go with such a name? KVM means for me Keyboard-,
> Video-, Mouse-switch.

It stands for Kernel-based Virtual Machine, unlike the other apps
like VirtualBox, VMWare, etc. whch basically run in user-mode,
kvm is essentially designed to be built-into the kernel.

Zie e.g. this page:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page
According to it kvm has been a part of the (standard) kernel since
the 2.6.20 kernel. So no separate modules to (re-)build, just include
the virtualization in the kernel itself.
From: J G Miller on
On Thursday, August 5th, 2010 at 09:37:51h +0200, Eef Hartman wrote:

> Yeah, but xen development seems to be at a dead end.

Seems?

Xen hypervisor 4.0.0 was released on 07 Apr 2010.

<http://wiki.xensource.COM/xenwiki/Xen4.0>

Work appears to be continuing on Xen 4.1

<http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenRoadMap#head-255846b3b4adf3e571373ca303a0a777a550eef6>
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: I GOT $2500 FROM PAYPAL....