From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
<plonk>

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"Untit1ed" <Untit1ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3419EFC8-5DDF-43D8-848D-0B166C2C3FE5(a)microsoft.com...
>I already tried that tool. It said there is nothing to fix.

You could use bitsadmin /util to get a second opinion
(and an alternative repair if necessary).

But do we even know for sure that BITS is the problem service?

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x424
1060
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
</cmd_output>

E.g. where exactly do we get informed that BITS is the "specified" service?

This, from the latest log isn't enough IMO:

<extract timestamp="Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:38:01 -0700">
2009-10-24 21:31:30:075 648 4a8 Setup WARNING: Cbs StartSession, error = 0x80070424
</extract>

It might just as easily be about some other necessary service, such as wuauserv.

Perhaps Vista's CBS.log would clarify that as some context for
the code (in either its unadorned hex or decimal representations)?

Otherwise you could supplement *all* your existing diagnostics
by running ProcMon and then seeing then how these log messages
relate to other registry and file accesses about the same time.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: Untit1ed on